Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-08-2000, 02:34 PM   #1
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Election 2000 Updates

First off, the world won't be ready to dump the internal combustion engine in 2020. But do expect to see more economical systems (ethanol motorcycles, fuel cell technology, etc) showing up in the near future.

Second, what's wrong with caring about the environment? I love bikes that get great gas mileage and have catalytic converters--I wish there were more out there.

Yes, I am a serious motorcyclist, and yes, I did vote GORE, so flame away. For some reason it seems like the only people on this site are conservatives. When Bush repeals all the national parkland in Colorado, get used to canyon carving in mining complexes instead of scenic canyons.

Am I really the only politically liberal motorcyclist out there?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2000, 05:45 PM   #2
backroadbandit
Founding Member

"mea gaze"....what's that? Gazing at the steaks in the store? Eyeballing the cows in the pasture? Checking out the lashion fashion victims on the street? Please explain. Thanks.
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2000, 05:47 PM   #3
backroadbandit
Founding Member

You're not. I'm here as well. My issues are housing, housing, and housing. I am going to prevail and then die.
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 03:02 AM   #4
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

As Gore is the enemy of all things with internal-combustion engines, I would expect to see more Bush supporters (like me) here, and I have so far. Much as I would like to see Bush elected over Gore, I believe this elector college has far outlived it's usefullness. In the days before news of the candidates was readily available to all people, it had a purpose. In today's information age, it's a dinosaur that should have been put to rest long ago. Having said that, as much as I HATE Al "Clinton-Puppet" Gore, he should have been elected president. The people spoke, the popular vote shows it. Sometimes, however, I've thought that a minimum score on an I.Q. test should be mandatory for voter registration, but, I digress.......
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 03:19 AM   #5
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

And I quote:

"We consume something like 40% of the world's resources, to feed, clothe, and pamper less than 5% of its population".

Why don't we just kill the rich then? Most of the hard-core "Enviromentalists" I see are total hypocrits. For instance, you already admitted to having a motorcycle. Why not ride the bus? You have a computer and have logged in here. THAT'S not a toy? All the food you eat was brought in on a truck. "meat consumption"? Are you a vegetarian? What about all those poor vegetables you've murdered and eaten? What kind of gas-guzzling SUV do you drive? Or do you REALLY not own a car, and take the bus everywhere? A lot of people say they're for the environment, because it makes you look cool, and "sensitive", and it's fashionable. But nobody walks the walk. The only people that do, are the various tribes around the world that completely live off the land, at harmony with nature. No TV, radio, cars, medicine, food that you don't have to hunt or gather, no nothing. I'm not ready to live that way, neither are you, and neither is Gore. No "civilized" man would give up those things forever either, we are too used to them.
Old 11-09-2000, 04:53 AM   #6
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

"You can be for increased fuel efficiency, the exploration of alternatives to the IC engine, and for finding ways to decrease the reliance on fossil fuels without being anti-motorcycle."

Gore is anti-vehicle. He would have us (the little people) all riding the bus, while he gets carted around in a limo. Personally, I like the basic idea of a hydrogen fueled vehicle. It's a great fuel. Clean-burning. The problem is packaging enough of it in a safe way. But then it's still an IC enjine. Ethanol? Big joke there. Destroys gaskets and seals, and aluminum parts. Very corrosive. Methanol is better, but then the corn growers wouldn't get their cut. Here's a real scary thought about the alcohol fuels: very toxic, and mixes easily with water, and there are few bacteria that eat the stuff. When there's a gas or oil spill, it floats on the surface, instead of mixing with water, thus aiding removal. Also, there are bacteria that have been cultured to eat the stuff. Get a large quantity of alcohol in a water supply, and you're hosed. Electric vehicles? Now that's a real big joke. The greenies like to point at the electric cars and call them polution free. FALSE! The electricity to charge the batteries came from, most likely, a coal-burning plant. I'm for reducing emissions, and preserving the land, but let's be realistic. One "junker" can emit more pollution than 200 regular cars. Instead of punishing the rest of us, make those guys clean up their cars. Don't even get me started on the buses and heavy trucks belching smoke. As far as drilling and mining rights, as long as the human race increases in size, there will be the need for more consumables.
Old 11-09-2000, 06:03 AM   #7
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Meat Gazing...

Refers to staring at other men's genitalia while urinating. The wacky implication is that sportbikers are all gay! Ho, ho, that guy really set us "straight", huh!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 06:12 AM   #8
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Lighten up!

I love how conservatives use an "all or nothing" argument. What, I can't have a modest standaed of living and be an enviromentalist? All the guy was advocating was that we should examine our consumption habits and think about changing them. Nobody is suggesting that we all go live on windmill-powered communes!

What's wrong with protecting the environment? What's wrong with eating less meat? (note I said "less") What's wrong with developing alternative energy?

Well, I'll tell you: corporate america is making so much money that they are steering our national debate away from the environment via the corporate-controlled media. But there's some serious **** going down- ice cap melting, and folks in South America that can't go outside durng the day because of a massive hole in the ozone layer! It's true!

Old 11-09-2000, 06:16 AM   #9
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Did you know?

That after Roe v. Wade, the number of abortions in the US stayed constant? But do you know what declined in numbers? Women who died during abortions.

For you to say women want to keep this right to retain power is so bizzare and crazy. They want to keep the right so they don't start dieing again!

Old 11-09-2000, 06:28 AM   #10
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Electrical College

Is a good thing because it is a nother buffer from "mob rule." It gives smaller states a little protection from the more populous states.

What makes our system look good to other countries is the orderly transition of power and rule of law. We'll see what happens- whether you're left or right, you gotta admit this is pretty exciting. Keep a journal for you grandkids.