Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO vs. World

Old 11-09-2000, 08:26 AM   #11
stevegrab
Founding Member

Default Re: Election 2000 Updates

You can read about our electoral college system at the web site below

http://www.fec.gov/pages/ecmenu2.htm
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2000, 08:33 AM   #12
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Lighten up!

Answer me this Gabe...... What ended the last Ice Age? Was it Global Warming? YES! Was it LONG before man made polloution even existed? YES! Were there holes in the ozone layer in the stone ages? Who knows. We DO know that the hole(s) in the ozone layer DO expand and contract.... Is this because annual output of pollutants increases and decreases? NO!
Old 11-09-2000, 08:48 AM   #13
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Corporate-controlled media? Get your facts straight bozo, our media is dominated by leftists. At every survey of journalists, over 80% of them are democratic.

Why do you assume that conservatives are "against" the environment? Just because we don't want to go back to eating berries, live in straw huts and wearing fig leaves doesn't mean we want to destroy the environment. Does anybody here honestly think that there are people out there acting on a Prime Directive to ruin the environment? Nobody is against developing alternative energy either, except environmentalists. Just try to get a new, safe, clean nuclear power plant built. The dirt-bag protesters will be out there until they're dead.

I'm sick and tired of bagging on "corporations" and "corporate America." These corporations wouldn't have anything if it weren't for the general public buying their stuff. When the mass majority of citizens of this country keep buying their Nikes, Expeditions and Sony TV's, it's obvious that the mass majority of us like what the "big bad corporations" do for us.

On the subject of meat, you go do whatever the hell you gotta do. I'll do what I want to do. You can eat any amount of meat that makes you happy. Don't try to tell me how much I should eat.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 08:58 AM   #14
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Re: Did you know?

So women "need" this right to keep from (nice spelling by the way) dying? Listen to what you're saying. Women "need" to perform abortions to keep from dying. OK.

Right.

All in favor of Gabe suspending his activiy on this message board until he aquires a brain say "aye"......
Old 11-09-2000, 09:17 AM   #15
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

As stated in his book "Earth in the Balance", Gore's objective is to rid the world of the internal combustion engine by 2020.

This is America. Land of the free. I want my freedom (as long as it isn't at the expense of anyone else's life, liberty or property.) Gore wants to limit my freedom. He wants to tell me what to do with my money. He wants to tell me how to save for retirement. He wants to tell me that there are other people who need my money more than I do, so give it up or go to jail. He wants to tell my children that my belief in Christianity is "divisive" and "intolerant". He wants to punish free speech. He wants to appoint Supreme court judges that throw the text of the Constitution out the window and interpret it to mean anything they want it to mean. He wants to rid you of the ability to defend yourself from those that would violate your life, liberty and property, then protect the "rights" of that violator and "rehibilitate" him because it was the evil white European male who made him do whatever he did (unless of course it was a white criminal, then he did it out of "racial hatred.")

In short, Gore wants a government of men, not a government of law. He wants to rule over you and tell you what to do and think because he knows what is good for you.
Old 11-09-2000, 09:57 AM   #16
Gabe
Registered Member

What ended the last Ice Age? Was it Global Warming? Maybe!

We DO know that the hole(s) in the ozone layer DO expand and contract.... Is this because annual output of pollutants increases and decreases? Maybe! Or depending on who you talk to, YES! If you just listen to conservatives and corporate spin-doctors, then no.

You don't know the answers to that question any more than I do. Now here's a question:

Should we just let corporations do whatever the hell they want when it is POSSIBLE that their actions may contribute to permanant environmental damage? I think so.

So don't come off like you are on the side of truth, because you're not, any more than I am.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 09:59 AM   #17
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Global warming

Actually, sorry. Though temperature fluctuates as the world comes in and out of ice ages, the world temperature is rising at a rate about 1000 times faster than normal. It should take millenia to notice a few-degree change world-wide, but it's happened in less than a decade. There is no other explanation besides human production of greenhouse gasses.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2000, 10:08 AM   #18
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Did you know?

Sorry, nay. Gabe knows his facts. Furthermore, abortion is a stickier issue than just "killing babies". At what point does a little zygote become a human being? Even the famous Christian philosopher St. Thomas Aquinas did not believe that a soul was present immediately after conception (and if there is no soul, there is no problem with aborting). According to him, God placed a soul in the fetus only after the fetus could easily be identified as human.

Gabe is also right--banning abortion will not in any way decrease it's frequency. Only more Planned Parenthoods, ease of obtaining contraception, better education, and yes more abstinence will result in a lower abortion rate.
Old 11-09-2000, 10:11 AM   #19
starvingstudent
Founding Member

But no matter what you do, don't take it over with you to Britain. The electoral system is idiotic and should be replaced with a direct election. Already at one point in history someone got more than 50% of the popular vote and still lost the electoral college. It's looking like this will be a second time for that.
Old 11-09-2000, 10:12 AM   #20
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Here he goes with the name-calling!

And I didn't even start it. And if you want "straight facts", here's some: 80% of all media sources in the US are controlled by 12 different conglomerates. Are big corporations "liberal?" I think we'd both agree they would be stupid to be that way.

Who said conservatives are against the environment (and BTW, Abe, you're no conservative- you are a radical, strictly speaking)? Not me. But conservatives ARE against sensible protection of the environment. Sad, when you think of what a strong conservationist Teddy Roosevelt was.

No, Abe, I don't want to go back to living in huts and eating nuts and berries. And atomic energy is neither clean nor safe. Tons of radioactive waste (so much we don't know what to do with it), 3-mile island and Chernobyl should tell you that. Do YOU want to live near a nuclear power plant? Me neither.

As far as your benevolent corporations having the approval of the people, well, I don't think they are all bad. I have AT&T stock, for instance. (sigh) But are their interests more important than mine? Then why do they have so much political influence? It's not fair.

Anyway, Americans buy corporate crap because they don't have a choice, either through media brainwashing or simply because we have no choice. Got Windows? I thought so. Gotta Wal-mart within a few miles of your house? I'll bet you do. And I'll bet a lot of small businesses have closed up since Wal-Mart came to town, huh? I buy from local producers whenever I have a viable choice that isn't too expensive, and I'll bet most Americans do, as well.

And finally, Abe, nobody is trying to tell you what to eat. You can eat gravel for all I care. But meat is cheap here because it's subsidized by the government. Meat is much more costly to produce than other foods, and it causes all kinds of bad things. Sure, we should let people eat and do what they like, but we shouldn't SUBSIDIZE and encourage harmful, destructive activity.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote