Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-07-2002, 03:47 AM   #61
MC
Founding Member

Default Re: VTEC

Think 'bigger picture'. They actually are quite similar in operation.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2002, 03:50 AM   #62
navion_pa1
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback

You should really give the Concours a try, the pegs can be lowered and bar's raised. Makes

a good touring bike, and gives some what of a rush above 7grand.

I did a 10,000 mile trip last summer and the bike didn't even burp once.

And you can pick up a brand new one for about 7.5k to 8.0k, with a three year warrently with unlimited mileage. BMW is only three years and 36,000 miles.

later
navion_pa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 04:48 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

There are some technical differences. However you must understand that the MC Online forum is loaded with people who know everything about bikes they have never actually ridden. Heaven forbid anyome actually RIDE the VFR before giving their expert opinion.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:48 AM   #64
Poser
Founding Member

Default VTEC durability

For what its worth, I had a '92 Honda Civic that had VTEC cam "spool valves" or something like that. I thrashed it for 102K miles including running it to redline through the gears once a week or so just because I could. It got nearly 50 MPG and had the same compression in all cylinders when I sold it as it did when it was new.

I would't worry about durability. I just don't understand why the VFR or any other bike needs it. Gas milage and power don't appear to benefit, so why bother.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:51 AM   #65
Poser
Founding Member

Default V4 Packaging Problem?

GP bikes are nearly all V-4s. Suzuki does not make any V4s except for GP bikes. Their new 4 stroke will be a V4. Honda must be spreading propoganda to screw up everyone else. Must be working. They won the GP with a ... V4!
Old 01-07-2002, 05:58 AM   #66
Poser
Founding Member

As long as you are considering big touring bikes as well as GT bikes, look at a Triumph Sprint. They get close to 60 MPG, and can keep up with most bikes in most situations. They are definitely touring bikes, so their ergos are more upright than an XX or ZX12.

Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:20 AM   #67
Poser
Founding Member

Default Practical needs

Very few of us need 100 HP, either. We can use torque, but top end HP is not something that I can take advantage of very often, even though my bike probably has 60 to 70. There is always a cage or curve or something in the way.

The number of cylinders is a smoothness issue for me. A twin puts my hands to sleep before my butt tells me to get off the bike. That can be a problem when going long distances! I think a triple might be the way to go on the street over long distances. A twin is plenty for commuting, but who uses a bike only to commute?
Old 01-07-2002, 06:25 AM   #68
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: VTEC

Ok, so one uses Hydraulic oil pressure to shift a cam horizontally so that different cam lobes actually change the intake/exhause properties of the engine at different speeds, and the other uses a pin to actuate a cam at a set RPM. Sounds pretty similar. Not. VTEC on cars is great and works well and works smoothly. I'm saying that they way they're implementing this "VTEC" is new (they haven't used a pin before) and it sounds likely to break down to me. How's that for a big picture?

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:32 AM   #69
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: VTEC durability

You probably didn't have VTEC as we all think about it, but VTEC-E, for efficiency (these cars weren't tuned for power, but for economy, hence the E). You could tell because the engine would say DOHC for the powerful cars, like the prelude or Integra. All of the Civics had SOHC and VTEC-E. That's why you got the good gas mileage. Totally different way of changing the Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control (no electronic control on the VFR either, the cars computer would figure out when you needed VTEC changes depending on how you were driving) too. The cars do nothing except slide the cams horizontally a little bit to a new set of cam lobes for higher RPM running than the cams used at low RPM's. The new VFR has a PIN that (from what I can gather) starts an otherwise non spinning cam from 0-7000 RPM's instantly people! TOTALLY DIFFERENT and much weaker sounding than shifting an already moving cam. Doesn't anyone understand and agree with what I'm saying?

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:49 AM   #70
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default I get the last word or else!!

Current gp v4s are TWO strokes. There is no cam/valve in the head so it is more compact. Also, each cylinder has its own crankcase (crankcase induction) so they are not actually v4's. As for the new four stroke v4s, we will see how they work. Honda got the rc45 to win but only after a decade of developement and a bazillion dollars of investment.
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote