Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-06-2002, 02:59 PM   #51
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback

Well, minime, I didn't really catch it, P-Ratt did, but I would love a job with you guys! You got any openings? I think I'd even move to SoCal to work for a motorcycle oriented establishment.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2002, 03:05 PM   #52
xIrvx
Founding Member

Default Honda is a car company

the 83 interceptor, the bike that would have destroyed honda's name in the 80s if not for the goldwing. Honda co's infatuation with the V4 is inexplicable. Heavier and more expensive to build than an inline 4; slow revving due to "V" layout; difficult to package in short wheelbase frame.

Did I misread the dyno chart or does the vtec motor make LESS power and torque? Perhaps the added weight of the vtec gizmo demands a soft cam grind. How much are those HO's at the magazines getting paid for their glowing reviews? Another free trip to the alps please!
xIrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:08 PM   #53
viffersan
Founding Member

Default Re: VTEC

OK, so, if it don't make any more power but weighs and costs more, what's the point? My '99 gives me a kick in the pants after 7000 rpm bone stock. Kinda sounds like Honda answered a question nobody asked with this one, and the price puts this version dangerously close to super-sportstourer land, a la blackbird, zx12, 'busa, etc. At least give them credit for innovation, if not for listening to the marketplace. Anybody have experience with the Falco?
viffersan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 04:33 PM   #54
runner00
Founding Member

Look... These manufacturers can build bikes lighter and faster we know that.

This bike is simple too complicated of a design to be ultra light. In fact, I am of the opinion that

street motorcycles don't really need to have more than two cylinders, ok maybe touring bikes.

All others if engineered correctly would be able to handle street duty. Make them light and

around 100 hp with good handling. Calculate your average riding hours per day...I'll bet

most of us don't ride greater than 3 hours per riding day over a course of a year. You need

something that can go fast, stop short,handle well and not get uncomfortable for about 4 hours. Bottom line is you don't need complexity to accomplish this.

runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:20 PM   #55
NeedANewBike
Founding Member

Thanks for the info, big dog.

Personally, I would be _damned_ interested in this bike, and I'd be willing to pay for it - it's easily worth the same money as the Interceptor, and 500ccs bigger to boot! (These long South Dakota highways need it!)
NeedANewBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 05:21 PM   #56
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: VTEC

I don't think there is a point, that's why everybody's complaining about technology for technologies sake. I have a '99 too, and it hauls after 7000, so I really doubt there is anything but an auditory difference between the old and the new.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 07:00 PM   #57
Kfan
Founding Member

Thats why I bought my last Honda used at a BMW dealership. The big import superstores are worse than used car lots.
Kfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:04 AM   #58
VFRTed
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda is a car company

Yeah, obviously the V4 is a bad design, because just about everybody in GP racing will be using it this year. Must be useless, thanks for the enlightening info.

It's more expensive, weighs more, but has some definate benefits, such as a centered mass point. I can't figure out for the life of me why Honda has neutered such a good motor either....the racing versions were making 160+hp with less displacement, and they can't get about the 100rwhp mark??
VFRTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:18 AM   #59
doohan
Founding Member

I'm a little disappointed about the new VFR I was hoping for a little more on the performance side. I don't understand why they would put some much into the new bike

yet have such miniscule performance returns.

As for MO...Hmm 12$ a year...Nahh I can get

Roadracing World for a few bucks more and it is by far a superior publication in every aspect.
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:31 AM   #60
doohan
Founding Member

Ok here is my take, I bought a XX last year and have used it for commuting/touring duty ( I have a RC51 that I use for sunday knee dragging)and found it to be terrific. I bought some soft luggage for it for about 180$ and added a taller windscreen. Last year I did a 3500 mile jount thru the west with a friend who owned a 97 VFR and while his bike was nice there was just no getting around the lack of power once we were in the High mountian pass's of Colorado. Mind you my friend is NO speed demon, in fact his regular ride is almost exclusivly a Road King, but even he complained of the lack of oomph and found it a little buzzy as compared to my XX. We switched bikes a few times and I was ALWAYS happy to get my XX back. I plan on doing a similar trip again this June and I'm really looking forward to it. In fact my friend is going to rent a XX from cruise america to use this time. The bike is Big, comfy , well planted, predictable. I would suggest changing tires on it, I ride it pretty aggresive and have found that the Michellin Pilot sports work great on it. They are nice and sticky and come up to temp even in the cold climate,also a very very good rain tire. You won't get a ton of milage out of them but whats more important, milage or safety? BTW I'm 6'4" and weigh 235-240 just some FYI for ya..........Good luck
doohan is offline   Reply With Quote