Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/995-year-2002-interceptor-reader-feedback.html)

dcopp 01-06-2002 05:45 AM

Re: Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback

Hell, if your looking for different, why not get away from the big four and look at some of the Euro bikes? I have to say that other than Suzuki's Busa and GSXR1000s. The big 4 have not really put out anything I'd buy right now. The VFR has always been a personal fav of mine, but like many others, I have to say that other than saddle bags, an option not standard, and another 500 bucks, knowing Honda, thay haven't brought the bike to a new level, except to make it nice for California, which is going to fall off into the ocean anyway. Sport touring? Look at the Aprilia, who I'm still mad at, the BMW, the Triumph, or even the MuZ Traveller...what a neat little thumper! Then again, if you gotta have a Honda, the VFR is the only one to get...last years model that is.

rvfrules 01-06-2002 05:58 AM

A VFR800 is obviously never going to be able to provide the same torque as your XX. That said, changing the stock muffler and, if possible, the exhaust pipe for an aftermarket system will add 6-12 hp, and the bike will power wheelie in first gear from 3500 rpms. Some people claim power wheelies in second as well. In any case, sounds like your friend's bike needs to be uncorked.

mgmike 01-06-2002 06:20 AM

$12.00 per year for a decent web site,maybe you need to wait until China makes your bike,you know a noodle frame and a rat motor.

Hadji 01-06-2002 07:13 AM

Wise up, Ronnie.

I can't believe that you buy into thinking that this motorcycle is worth $10,999 when last years bike listed for $9,499. The RC51's list price is the same for 2002 at $10,999 even though it is virtually a new motorcycle. Is all of the extra pork on the VFR worth $1500? Do you realize than an Aprilia Falco R lists at $10,999? And that bike was described by MO as the "VFR of the Aprilia lineup" and it weighs 419 lbs dry. So now Honda's VFR is no longer less expensive than the european manufacturer's motorcycles. So why buy Honda, anymore? The driving force for buying Japanese is that you could get more for less. Now, for the price of a Japanese motorcycle, I can get a great and reliable Italian motorcycle. It's a brave new world.

I know Honda could build the bike I outlined and sell it for less than $9,500, especially if they got rid of the Super Chicken. Japanese motorcycles have been carrying artificially high prices for quite some time.

Hey, MO. How soon before a very thorough comparo on the Honda VFR800 Interceptor and Aprilia SL1000 Falco R?

Hadji 01-06-2002 07:30 AM

My Two Cents.

In alphabetical order here are my picks if you want to be comfortable and own the bike for a long time.

For SPORT-Touring:

Aprilia SL1000 Falco R

BMW R1100S Lightweight

Ducati ST4s

For Sport-TOURING:

Aprilia Futura

BMW R1150RS

Ducati ST4s

minime 01-06-2002 09:10 AM

There's still no _official_ word from Yamaha US about importing the bike. They still have concerns about how many they'd have to bring in and at what cost and, even if they brought them in, would people buy them? They seem especially concerned since the last time they tried to bring in a sport-tourer (remember the Omega front end?) it didn't sell. Granted, this is a different (more normal) bike, it may be the a case of "once bitten, twice shy."

We'll definately let you know if we hear anything from Yamaha (or another reliable source) about bring the bike into the US.

minime 01-06-2002 09:12 AM

Er, oops. Good catch. Want a job? :)

MC 01-06-2002 09:55 AM

Re: Sounds, power, and VTEC

Nah. Quite similar actually.

luvmyvfr 01-06-2002 01:42 PM

VTEC

No, Quite different, actually.

From honda's website:One of the 2002 Interceptor® design team's goal was simple: make more power without changing the balanced character that made the Interceptor name legendary. Adding displacement to the 781cc V-4 engine would have upset the bike's balance of size and weight. Classic power enhancement approaches would have marred that balance as well. Instead, engineers chose a more elegant solution: Honda's VTEC™ valve train. Basically, VTEC gives the 2002 Interceptor engine the torque of a two-valve cylinder-head design at lower engine speeds, plus the high-rpm performance of a four-valve head. The "VTEC" on the VFR does nothing in the way of varying the valve timing, as in the cars, but only in keeping 2 valves closed until 7000 RPM's, keeping the airflow of the fuel around 350-450 fps for "better combustion". We can see how well this works by the dyno charts. The bike does not make more power (significantly) than the older model. Also, the cars make a hell of a lot more power than the honda's withougt VTEC. Don't tell me it's similar when it's totally different. JEESH.

luvmyvfr

RonXX 01-06-2002 02:25 PM

Re: Wise up, Ronnie.

Why do you think they should get rid of the Super Hawk? Now that you mention it, if they but a bigger fuel tank and some other updates on the VTR, it would be awesome competition for the falco. Then maybe Honda should drop the VFR. True that Japan is price gouging though. Their economy hit rock bottom and prices only went down like $300 on vehicles costing $10K.