Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-05-2002, 10:22 AM   #21
work2fish
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback

Honda is a great company, the VFR a great bike. MO is a great website, but not great enough to warrant my $12/year.

Anyway, regarding Honda, they're smart to leave the VFR in a class all by itself - a 800 cc V-4. If it were 900 cc or 1000 cc, the VFR would lose in shoot-outs against cheaper, lighter, simpler in-line 3's and 4's.

Soon Korea, China, Thailand and India will be cranking out cheap sport bikes by the thousands, so Honda and Japan Inc. need to go high-tech, just to stay in the biking game. VFR, ST1300, Gold Wing...these are all high-tech, touring bikes that will keep Honda (they almost have a monopoly) in business for years to come, while China starts building cheap bikes for the masses.

work2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2002, 11:23 AM   #22
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Bleah. :Þ
Old 01-05-2002, 11:53 AM   #23
DarkRider
Founding Member

I want a VFR but, I hate red Bikes. When is Honda going to get off of this "Big Red" kick and give us Americans the freedom of choice. Europe gets silver, blue, black and red while we don't get a choice or say whatsoever. What gives Honda? And why is the new VFR so darn heavy in this day and age? Could it be the old model's heavy single sided swingarm? An extra 100cc's and at least 10 more ponies would have been nice as well. Am I the only one that cares about these things? Can someone with Honda's ear yell at them for me?
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 12:13 PM   #24
NeedANewBike
Founding Member

Well, as you may discern from my Nick, I am in the market for a new bike. Specifically, I have been looking really hard at sport tourers, and even sportbikes with good ergos. I need a bigger bike (I think, and salespeople concur) as I am 6'2 and on the other side of 220#. I have always looked at the VFR, but I have now started looking at the CBR1100XX, the ZX12, and older FJ1100/1200's. Most of my height is in my legs, and it's tough to find a bike that "fits".

My question to you all is this (and I'm NOT trying to start a holy war, here): What do you all recommend? I've ridden for quite a few years (about 10, I'm 27 now); and I just can't quite get into the cruiser mentality yet - I like to go distances, but still burn corners now and again, and not feel abused after 150 miles.

I am considering a VFR, a CBR1100XX, a ZX12, or (maybe) the new ZZR1200 (whatever that Kaw tourer is). Or I may just buy a buddy's used '84 FJ1100 and wait a couple years to see if Yamaha will bring the *really nice* FJR1300 to the US.

What do guys/gals all think?
NeedANewBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #25
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

being 6'4 and 260# and owning a VFR, I can tell you this. A VFR is more than enough bike to get you down the road (even at extremely high speeds). You will probably want a Corbin saddle, and helibars though. If I were in the market to buy another bike, I'd get a CBR1100XX. This is why: The VFR was my first street bike after 15 years of dirt bikes. It was "small" enough I didn't think I'd kill myself on it (and haven't yet). I think now I could handle a really big bike like the 1100XX, and I don't mind having to muscle a bigger bike around, because I have the muscle to do it, unlike some of these small guys

Were I to buy another VFR, it would be a 98-01 model, You can read some of my previous posts as to why I wouldn't buy the newest incarnation.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #26
Grappelli
Registered Member

Being 6'4" and 270lbs and owning a BMW1150GS, I'm thinking about getting another bike... one that is a bit more sporty. I've been thinking maybe a ZX12, but I'm concerned that it's maybe too much. Since I'm fast approacking 40, my knees kill me on the full on sports bikes..

Any suggestions?
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 05:11 PM   #27
ZR-7
Founding Member

Just go to Bert's Motorcycle Mall, Chaparral Motorsports or Honda of Redlands, etc.

Sounds like you should take some body along that has bought several motorcycles...

Good luck,

Philip
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 05:27 PM   #28
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: Sounds, power, and VTEC

You really can hear the difference on the dyno (I know, it's below my office) and on the video camera. I thought I couldn't get that bass rumble to transfer through to the video clips -- I captured the audio in full 16-bit, 44 kHz CD-quality sound -- because I had to turn the volume way down when I played it and stick my head near the speakers to hear it.

Then, I listed to the mp3 here at my home, where I have surround sound and a bass box thingie on a five-speaker system hooked to my computer, and I can definitely hear it. I guess most computer speakers aren't that great, and we did lose a lot of the sound's low, rumbling effect in capturing, but it's there. Try and listen to it on the best sound card/speaker system you can...

blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:01 PM   #29
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Am I correct in guessing you meant (240/4.6=) 52 MPG?

"It's this, combined with the VTEC system, that provides such good mileage, returning upwards of 42 MPG through one particular 240 mile stint of highway and canyon riding that saw 4.6 gallons pass through the motor. "

cool.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:22 PM   #30
MC
Founding Member

Default Re: Sounds, power, and VTEC

VTEC is not new technology by any means. Almost every auto manufacturer uses it in one form or another.

Honda auto VTEC's, while somewhat different in operation to the new VFR, are very reliable. I would expect nothing less from the VFR.
MC is offline   Reply With Quote