Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-05-2002, 01:57 AM   #11
MDM
Registered Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback

I can't understand why MO ended there excellent review with the statement "it's not the bike we expected". What, more motor or fully adjustable suspension! Unnecessary! Ninety-nine percent of motorcycle riders won't be able to use over 75% of what the VFR is capable of delivering. Believe me, focus on riding skills and not on the hardware. If you want a grunty sportbike, buy a Busa. If you desire nimble handling, get an R6. But if you want a the best all around motorcycle ever made, get yourself a VFR. . I believe this VFR, like its predecessors, will rock with the best of them.
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2002, 03:17 AM   #12
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Honda, you are out of touch.

At least with me anyways. I would like to buy a new motorcycle this year, but I don't think it will be the new VFR. Maybe last years bike if I can find one.

I might sound like a broken record, but could you build a new motorcycle with the VFR ergonomics, single sided swingarm, etc. and the RC51 engine/transmission geared for sport touring i.e. close ratios with a tall 6th gear? It will need to be fuel efficient to the tune of 200+ miles on a tank of gas (5 gal. min.) and it should be absolutely bulletproof mechanically. I should never be stranded because of the motorcycle, only my own stupidity and ignorance. And bring the weight down to 400+ lbs. dry without using any exotic materials. Just get rid of any excess matter. Remember form follows function. If it isn't doing anything, then it doesn't belong. This bike doesn't have to be a wheelie machine or a hypersensitive canyon carver, but I should never forget that it is a motorcycle. It will have to get me from point A to point B, meaning around the block, to work or across the country, quickly, cleanly and efficiently, without drama and I should feel as fresh at the finish as when I started my trip. And so should my passenger. It should not require a lot of maintenance or trips to the dealer for service. In fact is should be as simple to maintain as the Honda Accord. Are bags a requirement? Yes and no. If you choose to supply them, then they should function to the same degree as the motorcycle, I should not even know that they are there until I need them. Have I described motorcycles built by manufacturers like BMW, Ducati and Aprilia? Yes, and that brings up a very important point. Sell it at a price I can afford. I don't think I am asking for much. You might have to fire a bunch of the Yuppies you have working for you at corporate Honda to get the price down, but I won't mind. If you can deliver this motorcycle, I will buy one. Heck, I'll buy two. And so will my friends. And so on. And so on. And so on. I hope you get the picture.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 03:42 AM   #13
goelvis
Founding Member

Why in the world would you buy a Honda from this dealership? Just use your email and find a dealership in Omaha Nebraska, or Dothan Alabama, or Waco Texas, or who knows where that will actually DISCOUNT the bike. Try LA Cycles, they are extremely aggressive with their pricing. The transport would be like $500, max, to get the bike all the way from the other side of the country, it sounds like this dealership needs some competetion.
goelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 04:56 AM   #14
RonXX
Founding Member

I had the opportunity to ride a friend's 2001 VFR this past summer, while he was on my '97 CBR1100XX. I thought the feel of the VFR was superior to my bike. It had a very smooth ride with nothing to complain about for handling. The controls were all slicker than mine (maybe a difference of 4 years age has something to do with that), but there was one thing missing: torque. As soon as I tried to pull away from a stop, I stalled the engine 2 or 3 times at first. The VFR is a great bike, but the last thing it needs is more weight with the same power. I loved the sound of the V-4 and gear valve drive, but there was no propulsion from that beautiful sound. If Honda would quit screwing around with bullsh-t gimmick technology, and make the VFR a 1000cc V-4, I'd make it the next bike I buy.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 05:07 AM   #15
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda, you are out of touch.

Yeah Honda, get with the program. All I want is a Rolls Royce interior with the ride of a magic carpet that costs $50 and has two wheels. Is that so much to ask?
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:24 AM   #16
CHIP900SS
Founding Member

All you read in this article is going away from gear driven cams saves 6lbs. But

the new VFR weighs 18lbs. more than last years, whats the deal.
CHIP900SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:44 AM   #17
blademan
Founding Member

The bottom line is there is no significant increase in power or torque. With each new incarnation of a model, these things should marginally improve. 145 RWHP no, but how about 110-115 at least. And how about trimming some of the fat, this is getting ridiculous. A 929 is much larger in displacement but weighs nearly 100 pounds less. Honda don't you think you could have shaved 50 pounds of fat somehow? I still think the VFR is the best all rounder bike. I had a 98 and loved it but it felt heavy and slow at times. The alluring thing about this bike is the V-4. That motor sounds better than any other configuration. They should have made 2 models of this bike. A touring model (which they did) and a sport model. If Honda would make the VFR with 115-120 RWHP or more, 50-75 pounds lighter, you might have one of the best selling bikes on the market. For the money they are asking it's not worth it. If your thinking about this bike, pick up a 98-01 model instead. Put an Ohlins on the rear, new fork springs, an aftermarket exhaust system, it will make more HP and cost thousands less. The new VFR is good but not great, hence it's a letdown. Honda next time improve the model instead of just changing its' skin.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 08:26 AM   #18
oomega1
Founding Member

yea thanxs they are being really helpful. so much nicer. and i'd probably pick one up. hopefully i'd feels like riding one.
oomega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 09:03 AM   #19
HyperBusa
Founding Member

I really don't care what the "moto-journalists" say, I have a brain and am able to make up my own mind about what I like and dislike about a bike. I will be adding a 2002 viffer to my garage. 100 ponies is still plenty enough for me to have a blast on...and you can't beat the v4 engine. Price? Screw it...if you're worried about prices and you're into biking it's time to change your hobby.
HyperBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 09:15 AM   #20
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Sounds, power, and VTEC

MO,

Everybody keeps talking about the great sound after 7000 RPM's, but after watching all 3 of the videos on the site (they had pretty scratchy sound), I could tell no difference as the bike swept up through the 7 mark. The dyno speaks all about the VTEC power, in what way did you guys mean the real world is different than the dyno? You say that you can't discern whether or not you're making more power, but it sounds like it. Well, let me clue you in. You're NOT making more power, and IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE IT. I miss the sound of the gear driven cams too...

One other thing, something has been bothering me. How well can one trust VTEC? From what I gather, you have a cam spinning fast enough to turn the motor at 6999 RPM's and it senses a 1 RPM increase, and uses a solenoid (or something) to pop a pin into a hole to get the rest of the cam turning, and operate the other valves. Sounds prone to breaking down to me. What kind of pin can take that abuse without shearing (even though the cam doesn't have a huge torque load, it's got to have some load, just seems too Mickey Mouse), and what happens when you're popping in and out of the 7000 mark, to hear the "VTEC waaaah at 7,000 RPM"? It will be interesting to see how many people have to get their motors worked on because they're V-4 audiophiles. I guess only the future will tell, all I can say is I definitely do not like the new VFR, and am happy as a clam to have my 99 VFR. Glad you guys liked it, and that other people like it, I just hope they that buy get an extended warrantee, until we know how this thing handles lots of real world miles and real world idiots.

luvmyvfr

luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote