Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-05-2002, 03:41 AM   #111
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Interceptor reader feedback

Dude, if you love the '86 so much, hit the want ads, find one, buy it, and don't even bother with a new bike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2002, 09:30 AM   #112
bigskybum
Founding Member

So, what's the reaction to Cycle World naming the Interceptor the world's best streetbike, closely edging out the Suzuki V-Strom for chrissake?!
bigskybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:10 PM   #113
Placeman
Founding Member

Not to burst your bubble, but I bought mine for $8695, including set-up.
Placeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:17 PM   #114
jtjones
Founding Member

I purchased my 2002 VFR800 for sport touring and daily commute. I did not want a Gold Wing because it is too heavy and cumbersome. I considered an ST1300 but none were available at the time. The VFR handles like a dream and is very comfortable over the long haul. I took a 3,000 mile trip through Texas-NM-CO-UTAH-KS-OK-TX and the bike was flawless. The longest day was 630 miles and I found myself wishing I could ride more! We rode through rain and cold weather and the bike's fairing provided excellent protection. I easily rode 200+ miles before reaching reserve and got between 40-50 mpg. The extra weight of the bike adds stability on the open road, especially in a cross wind. Through the mountains of Colorado, the bike really comes alive in the twisties. I found myself pulling over and waiting 15 minutes for my riding partner on his Gold Wing to catch up. The Linked Brakes are nice in panick situations as it is much harder to lock up the rear brakes under hard braking. I don't really notice the VTec switchover at 7k as much as when I first purchased the bike (I guess I'm used to it now) but it does make a wicked growl at upper RPM. I'm glad the bike has "only" 100 HP because I feel like I can flog the bike hard without it overpowering my skills. I have no desire to run 10's in the quarter or achieve a top speed of 175. I guess 11's and a top end of 148 are sufficient for me. Call me boring... However, the true litmus test for me is that I find myself yearning to hop on my VFR and point its nose west on the open road and ride until the reserve light comes on... refill it and do it all over again. This bike is an awesome sport touring machine.

ps. I added a Laminar Lip airfoil and it is awesome! It directs the airflow over the top of my helmet and keeps the bugs off my faceshield. Also, over the long haul, a "throttle rocker" is a must have device. I wish Honda would offer electronic cruise control for this bike. The factory grips are hard, but wearing good gloves with gel palms greatly increases comfort. I am considering buying some 3/4" risers for the handlebars, although the stock position is comfortable enough... but I think it would be more comfortable if the bars were just a touch higher. Maybe Honda could offer some type of adjustment on the handlebar (like BMW has) to give the rider more options.
jtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:10 PM   #115
yellowduc
Founding Member

Hello,

Your comments reflect the intended purpose of this machine. Extra power, less weight, and fancy named suspension does not amount to much after 8 hr on the saddle unless the bike is balanced. My Duc, St4 w/ 22k on it is fantastic machine, often bashed in similiar manner. Perhaps some people have a different idea of sport-touring.

Thxs
yellowduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #116
Airfiddler
Founding Member

Ooooo! I can hardly wait to buy an Indian VFR.

Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote