Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-15-2002, 07:47 AM   #31
tigerowner_ut
Founding Member

Default Re: Adventure Tourer reader feedback

Jason,

Being from Austrailia you probably do more dirt road riding than most others with a CBR or similar bike. But what you do not realize is that the geometry of these bikes, which is similar to an off-road bike is much more stable at low speeds in comparison to any sportbike. This trait allows these bikes to be used on rough dirt roads. While you may be able to take these roads as well I gaurantee you that the adventure tourers will cover this ground twice as fast because of the stability and added suspension. And No these bikes are not the best for mud, deep sand, or rocky terrain but this is the scope of the dual sport rather than the adventure tourers.

The stability of these bikes along with their storage capacities make them ideal for urban commuting. The tall stature of these bikes makes you visible to others as well. There are no other class of motorcycle that is more suited to the urban jungle than the adventure tourer.

As for the twisties You obviously have not seen these bikes in action. A talented rider will keep up with any sportbike in the twisties.

As for high speed runs, you can leave me in the dust when accelerating and at speeds over 90 mph.

The point is do not underestimate what you have no experience with. These are truly competent and usefull machines that provide comfort, storage, and fun anywhere that has a road not requiring knobbies.

David

99 Tiger
tigerowner_ut is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2002, 05:25 PM   #32
bikecop
Founding Member

I agree that all these bikes will get the job done; but as desertbilly says, at a price. And that makes the KLR650 a much more attractive mount. I have owned a 89 Honda TransAlp since 92, have over 30K on the clock and it has been seamless and done everything I could want it to do. I usually walk around the other two street bikes in my garage to pull it out for almost everything. It really burns me that Honda can't see the light and import this machine anymore; or it's newer and bigger brother, the Varadero. About the KLR's road worthiness; there is an older gentleman that makes all the BMW rallies and regularly goes down to S. America on one and has over 70K dependable and enjoyable miles on it. His recommendation is good enough for me. By the way -- he can easily afford to buy anything he wants. 'nough said.
bikecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 07:56 PM   #33
Grappelli
Registered Member

On Mulholand Road in LA, when it gets really twisty, I dropped a couple of mates. One on a GSXR 750, the other on a Speed Triple. I didn;t realise I'd done it and wasn;t trying to, one of them was mightily pissed of to be dropped by a "******* tourer".

#)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 05:04 PM   #34
gasdive
Founding Member

Hi Grappelli,

I think you're right, we're saying the same thing but from different angles. All bikes are fun, all bikes have a place and all bikes can be made to do things they weren't really designed to do (and often, that's when you have the most fun).

I was saying, "hey, don't underestimate an ordinary tourer, it can be made to take you places you think you need an Adventure Tourer to tackle" While you're saying "Hey, don't underestimate Adventure Tourers, they can be made to take you places you think you need a dirt bike to tackle"

Personally I love making bikes to weird ***** (and it sounds like you do too)

I've never bested a sport bike in the twisties, but I fondly remember a "transport" on twisty road between trails. Me and a mate on XR600s with knobbies (real knobbies, the "Not for Highway Use" kind) and both running 12 psi front and rear. We came upon a guy giving his cruiser a hard scraping session on the "old road". God knows what he thought when one dirt bike went underneath him and one around him, both of them full on sideways, both with riders sitting on the tank with their inside foot up with their front axles...

Laugh! I thought we were both going to ***** ourselves at the next stop!

Still, on road the big singles are generally a pain. They vibrate so hard that your hands go strange after half an hour and you lose all feeling after an hour (which is a bit scary). The "seats" are so uncomfortable it's just unreal. You spend a lot of time standing up. So much infact that all the controls are set to be most comfortable standing. And tyres!!!Sheesh! I've never adjusted the chain on the XR because the tyre is worn out ***Long*** before any adjustment would be required. I get about 3-6 tanks of fuel out of a back tyre.

I guess I expected Adventure Tourers to address these issues while keeping most of the offroad abiltiy and that's just not realistic. Most of these bikes are sold in countries where there are almost no opportunities to ride off road and even if there are, they'd spend almost all their time onroad anyway.

Another interesting thing you said, that the bike had cost you $14 500. Here they're AUD$17 165 for the r1150GS which is about USD$9000. That includes 10% tax.

I also think you're right about the KTM. It really does look the ducks guts.

KTM Australia runs a great thing here where if you're interested in a bike they take you on a two day test ride in the bush. The guy I used to ride with on XRs has gone on one and bought a 400exc after riding most of the KTM range. Perhaps they'll put one of the new bikes on the test fleet when they come out.

Cheers Jason =

gasdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 05:14 PM   #35
gasdive
Founding Member

Interesting you should mention the GSX-r 750...

Many years ago, I was sent on a riding course by the post office (I was a telegram boy and I had a small motorcycle to take telegrams out with)

Part of the course was about how to ride on unsuitable surfaces on road bikes. This was in 1987 and the then hot thing was the GSX-R 750 and the instructor was riding one. He took us out on a *Motorcross* track and showed us how to ride in sand, and then we did several laps with him showing us the fast line...

He then followed this up by explaining low speed manouvering, and showed us how to use the back brake (which up to that point I had completly ignored on all bikes).

He put the bike on full lock and whizzed around in circles, scraping the pegs!!!

What amazed me even more was that I was doing the same thing within the hour.

Cheers Jason =
gasdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 08:46 AM   #36
hcage
Founding Member

Where do we find the mileage info?
hcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 10:28 PM   #37
mod
Founding Member

Default Adventure Tourers & Global Differences

First, congrats to MO for having what appears to be a genuine interest in regular comparos of adventure tourers.

A good yarn (like Merino wool) and interesting comments at the back. In this part of the world (New Zealand) we get different spec bikes to you guys. So the Beemer has a larger fuel injection system (2.4 instead of 2.2), stronger sub frame and no cat converter. What this means is that the GS is up on power and (very slightly) down on weight.

Put all this together and it seems to result in the big GS getting the nod more often than not. Its also got character, and beautiful ugliness in spades. The Trumpy is lots of fun and has a willing engine but take it off road and Jesus, it focuses the mind. Ditto the Apprillia which has a gorgeous power plant.

A bunch of us just came back from doing the North Island of NZ by coastal roads and beaches and I wouldn't have swapped my GS for anything (and I've previously owned Elefants, Tigers and Tenere's). We did 90 mile beach at low tide and my speedo showed 180 kph (thats 112mph for you statesiders) on the wet sand and it was faultless stable.

Up in the Bay of Islands a pick up backed over my GS in a wee village. Net result, one scratched crash bar and a scuff mark on a pannier. Repeat that on any of the other two and you'd be up for a truckload of repairs and fairing damage.

Yep, even though I always thought they were for wankers, I love the big GS. Maybe that means I've become a wanker?

Stay upright MO colleagues

MOD
mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 09:05 AM   #38
RockyMoto
Registered Member

Default Re:Tiger Pro's and Con's

Willem,

I'll agree w/ your pro's and con's on most accounts, but you failed to mention the one huge reason I find the Tiger almost unacceptable from a touring perspective:

over 75mph it buzzes like a cheap motel alarm clock on crack cocaine. It makes my old Concours (sold it two years ago) feel like grandpa's Lincoln by comparison. The Tiger 955i was OK for the 1 hour spent test riding, but to hold those vibrating grips for full days on end would be true torture.

Oh, and one other thing...it's got a damn chain! Go ahead and flame on, but chains_just_plain_suck for big miles touring. Get with it Triumph and put a shaft in your Trophy and Tiger "touring/adventure" models!

Presently am "adventure" touring on an 1150GS, and yes, there are complaints there, too (like the mass for instance).

Rockymoto
RockyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #39
drthompson65
Founding Member

we forget that the Tiger you can purchase heated grips for. Road I tiger on cold northern california nights and love it.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 06:59 PM   #40
Dee_1
Founding Member

I read your Adventurer Tourer article a couple of months ago when I was shopping for such a bike. I was puzzled by your evaluation of the Capo Nord's suspension; to summarize: "this fork sucks." After reading other tests and consulting with people close to Aprilia, I took a chance and bought the Capo Nord despite your evalutaion. I'm glad I did. The fork is awesome! I haven't experienced both the suppleness and resiliance that this suspension has in any other bike. Smooth ride, reassuring behavior under stress, and wonderful response when stopping hard. I wonder what you were riding?

Dee_1 is offline   Reply With Quote