Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-23-2001, 07:53 AM   #71
Coach
Founding Member

Default Euro Riding

Haven't been to any events, but the dealers here in France are pretty relaxed as well about taking a machine out. A couple of times a guy from the dealership led me on another bike, a couple of times I was on my own. Once I had to leave a deposit, but that bike was on consignment.

Like everywhere, there's a mix of rider attitudes - some courteous and some jerks. Cars will move over a bit to let you split the lane (!), which is a pleasant surprise. And all manner of bikes are present - dual sports, standards, sportbike, and more cruisers than you'd expect - metric and Harley.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2001, 07:09 PM   #72
mcho
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia CapoNord feedback

I live in Iowa and if I do not get 12-15K mi. a year there is something wrong. I am not a tough guy but I do like to ride. I guess some people like to wash and wax, some like to ride. I will wait to see a test on the V-Strom.
mcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 06:41 AM   #73
Arch
Founding Member

Default Re: Varadero & V-Strom

Plus, there's that name. V-Strom ... Why I oughtta!

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 06:56 AM   #74
Arch
Founding Member

Yea, I just don't get the angularity of a lot of these new models. Even Honda's formerly pleasingly styled VFR has morphed into a mish-mash of slash cuts & exaggerated styling cues. Then there's Terblanche's Multistrada... Back to Aprilia though, looks like public comment forced 'em at least to axe the personal watercraft seat that originally appeared on Futura, but the faux Stealth Fighter malarkey remained intact so it must work for enough consumers. Now the CapoNord busts out. Guess I'm becoming an old phart...

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 09:30 AM   #75
bjcamp
Founding Member

Aprilia's dealer network looks small so far. We'll have to wait and see...
bjcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 01:46 AM   #76
nordic37
Founding Member

I don't get it.

I've been looking at this category for some time now and it leaves me scratching my head. Let me get this straight...these companies are designing these bikes for people who will pack up enough stuff for a week or so, ride a fair distance ( hundreds of miles) from home, and ride dirt roads loaded up? Who does that? But really - I'm sure SOME people enjoy that...and actually DO IT. But are there THAT MANY out here to justify all of the hype in this category?

I suspect that most of these bikes will live the life of the typical SUV - taking the average guy (or girl) back and forth to work, short rides around town, weekend trips on the road, and never see the dirt unless the driver miscalculates his line in a curve. And to give up the convenience of a low-maintenance shaft and a REAL fairing for this seems like no bargain for someone who wants to cover real distance in "sporting" comfort.

I don't get it.

Glen
nordic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 04:38 PM   #77
dmer
Founding Member

Little known or cared about fact#348: Laverda built the BMW G80s prototypes so the project wouldn't be revealed as a BMW until they were ready for production.
dmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 06:56 AM   #78
dmer
Founding Member

Ok here's the deal: they sorta look like dirt bikes , but aren't. Sorta. Long travel suspension, sorta narrow, high up riding position for good visibility in traffic, wide bars for good leverage when dicing with aforementioned traffic. Comfortable seat,and lots of accessories make them a pretty good utility bike. It just looks like a dirt bike. Sorta.

Don't own one, but I get it. Sorta.

DDM
dmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 05:48 PM   #79
jjmcnutt
Founding Member

You're right about the dirt utility of these bikes it's practically nill. However the Caponord I just bought has comfortable seating position, almost perfect ergonomics for me, can tour two-up with great weather protection from the fairing at triple digit speeds if I want, and it handles extremely well. Here in AZ there are a lot of interesting places that require a trip down a rutted desert road and there the Capo's fine. It'll scare the hell out of you and your rider if you hit any sand though. I have to admit I was skeptical too, but this is a great all-around bike.
jjmcnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:17 PM   #80
Theo1100
Founding Member

Default wind protection

Can someone provide a better idea of wind protection on the CapoNord? I.e., where does the wind hit you, how noisy is, etc.? Thanks.
Theo1100 is offline   Reply With Quote