Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-19-2001, 09:30 AM   #61
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh God, not this again!

I hate this PC garbage. The only ones who get offended are folks who worry about inferiority. I don't think Soichiro Honda ever felt inferior.

"Jap" can also be a term of endearment. A good example is often provided by my good friend, "Dual_Exhaust." He, a Toyota and Honda fanatic, will say things that seem offensive, but really are compliments in our lingo:

Example:

ME - I just took my 11 year old Honda apart and there is NO FREAKING WEAR dude!

DUAL_EXHAUST - Those slanty eyed bastards!

Translation:

ME - Gawd, Honda is great.

DUAL - I love the Japanese. I wish American companies were like them and I will verbally punish our companies until this happens.

Oh yeah, I'm Polish/Ukrainian, but my Sister in Law, Kazuyo, was born an bred in Shikoku.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2001, 11:51 AM   #62
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: V-Rod motors in everything? No thank you!

<blockquote>Who wouldn't prefer a Road King Classic with the V-Rod motor??? </blockquote>

Erm...me?

That somewhat defeats the purpose of a big, lazy tourer. The Road King is a bike for setting the cruise control at about 60 or 70 and heading on down the highway. A smaller, higher-revving engine is NOT the ticket for doing that...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 12:52 PM   #63
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia CapoNord feedback

Heard that.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 12:58 PM   #64
elizilla
Founding Member

No offense, just teasing. 8k a year is about three times the USA nat'l average, after all!

It never ceases to amaze me, just how many really fine low mileage bikes are available. I've never owned a bike that was less than 15 years old when I got it. I have averaged close to 30k a year for three years now and my elderly machines are starting to drive me crazy; I'm sick of replacing tired seals, tired squishy brake lines, etc. Not to mention the lack of aftermarket support when you're riding something that hasn't been made since 1985, and the disappearance of higher performance tires in the sizes I need. Mind you I'm not complaining, I love my old bikes and they have served me very well, they don't owe me anything. They aren't worth enough money to bother selling, so I'll keep some of them. But it's time to get something newer to share the mileage load. Besides I'm drooling to try some of the new stuff out there!

I'm planning to take the plunge and get a new or almost new bike, sometime in the next few months. Now I'm having fun trying to decide exactly which machine to get. If the manufacturers would just come out with a bike that has the power of a superbike, the cornering clearance and precision handling of a sportbike, the pothole-smoothing suspension of a dual sport, the reliability of Honda and the style of Ducati, which weighs less than 400 pounds, has hard luggage, has comfortably sporty-standard ergos, fuel injection, water cooling, shaft drive, and a center stand, for less than 10K, I'd run right out and buy one. Unfortunately I'm going to have to choose. Hmm, maybe I need two or three new bikes.

elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 12:19 PM   #65
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Note how the below posters proved my points:

They are either offended by the thought of anybody pointing out that what they say MIGHT be construed as offensive, or have decided that they have the final say as to what is or isn't offensive to other people. And then of course, they attack me for pointing it out! I wish there was a PC police force! My idea of heaven would be to arrest offensive people! If only!

And EVERYBODY acknowledges that it might be offensive to some people, so their opinion is "screw 'em", as if that is the most unreasonable thing anywhere.

Actually, I don't give a ship personally, but it is interesting to see how people bristle at having their behavior critisized.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 03:36 AM   #66
Henrik
Founding Member

Although I am aware of the fact that it is not on sale in the US, and that MO is a US based site, I feel it is important to mention the Honda Varadero in this context.

The Aprilia CapoNord is a direct result of the success the Varadero has had in Europe. The styling first of all is very much copied from the Vara', simply making the lines more angular (and achieving a more efficient wind protection while they were at it). The size is similar, the engine is similar, and the targeted buyers are the same. These bikes are not intended for off-road use. They are far too bulky, and the tires they are sold with are not adoped for this. The Honda even has alloy wheels. Instead they are confortable tourers.

I bought one of the first Varaderos to come out here in Switzerland late in '98, and enjoyed the bike immensely. It was great for cruising the mountains, always providing ample power coming out of corners. It proved outstanding for long tours, taking me all over southern Europe in comfort. It was great for commuting to work, making me very visible to other road users, and not too bulky to cut through traffic. Basically this concept makes a lot of sense. The success the bike has had over here proves this further.

Aprilia's contender is a very good one. Like with the Futura going up against the VFR, the CapoNord is very close to the Varadero. I rode it extensively this summer and found that in certain areas it was better. The wind protection, at least for me, was slightly better, and it felt a bit lighter while riding. However, the Honda provides the excellent CBS brake system, and the engine seems to be a bit more powerful. Overall the two come very close.

In "comparos" I have read in local magazines, that seems to be the general opinion as well, some declaring the Aprilia the winner and others the Honda. I would say that perhaps Honda has a better (longer) reputation for reliability, although I had mine recalled after 5 months for a complete engine replacement.

As a final word, Aprilia has produced a very nice bike in the CapoNord, and certainly there is a market for this bike in Europe. If it will sell in the US remains to be seen, but the fact that Honda chooses not to sell the Varadero there must show to some extent that the market for such a bike is very limited there.

Regards,

Henrik

P.S. I no longer have the Varadero as I switched back to my preferred type of bike, a sports tourer for the sumer 2000. Having had a VFR prior to the Varadero, I went for a Euro bike this time and got a Ducati ST2. I love it!
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:05 AM   #67
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: V-Rod motors in everything? No thank you!

I don't know about that. My Harely is an FLHS, the Road Kings ancestor. Persaonally I think 118 HP wold by just fine, problem is that that motor would be seriously ugly in the current FLT frame. I say bring on MR Buell! He designed the original FLT frame, I say on to the next generation. Saying that, my old Harley is staying with me....right next to my Beemer!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 06:06 AM   #68
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: Tell it to Buell

Yeah, I agree, but a 43 year old who is not in the best of shape would have problems using that bike. I am no longer a yougin who bends and heals easily! Shoot, have the same problem with ANY sport bike - I can't reach the damn handle bars!
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:42 AM   #69
dcopp
Founding Member

I must have been the only person who said that the Futrua was too angular when I logged onto the website last year, 'cause they've gone and done it again! Another sport/adventure tourer...hummm, Maybe it's just me, but I want a bike that I can find parts for in oh say, Central America, or my own backyard. And the fact that the thing "gets choppy" on bad roads, excuse me, isn't that the purpose of an adventure/tourer, to hit those roads that I can't on my Triumph Daytona? I'm currently looking for an A/T, nothing I've read here tells me this is the bike, Looks like BMW is winning again, or maybe the Triumph Tiger, wait a minute, those were your picks too, MO. I hate to think I'm following a trend, here. Though you did say Aprilia is not marketing this as a A/T, they are trying to make it look like one. Anyway, I'm still having a hard time supporting the company who killed Lavarda. Great articile, nice read, but this is just another attempt to draw in those who don't want to get off the beaten path, but want to look like they do. Maybe I'm just bitter about the whole thing with Aprilia for some reason...
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:59 AM   #70
dcopp
Founding Member

Default Re: Note how the below posters proved my points:

People are offensive. I know, I make a living at arresting them. BUT, calling a bike a Jap-bike, Rice-burner, Hog, Brit-bike, Limey-launcher, Kraut-Krap, Dago-Dragster, on and on, isn't really offensive. After all, I tell my neighbor that I'd rather push my Limey-Launcher than ride his Legend anyday, everyday, we still drink beer together. I believe firmly that people who take offense to a term stuck on an inanimate object are more than a little sensitive, and should be killed. As long as we are not refering to an living person with a "racial slur" who gives a F.....? Ya dumb SOB's....
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote