Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-18-2001, 01:31 PM   #41
elizilla
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia CapoNord feedback

Grumble. I'm not a member of the Gold Wing Brigade, but I put on a LOT of miles. I'm not interested in any bike I don't think will go 100,000 miles without major troubles.

I'd be annoyed with the fact that so few people actually RIDE their bikes that the manufacturers sacrifice reliability for the sake of flashiness and dyno chart cachet, but at least it means there are plenty of really nice low mileage bikes out there I can pick up cheap and ride into the ground once the first owners get tired of posing on them.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2001, 01:33 PM   #42
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Aprilia CapoNord feedback

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I can't _look_ at expensive bikes.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:53 PM   #43
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Oh God, not this again!

We've gone through this at least once a year for the last 4 or 5. The posters seem to be divided into 3 camps:

1. "Jap" isn't perjorative, it's a time-saver! Like saying "Ites" or "Germs" or "Mexes"!

2. Screw them! They bombed Pearl Harbor! And screw you for being offended, you pinko fag!

3. I'm offended! You offended me! Shrieeeeek!

There is of course a vast fouth group, who have no opinion. I'm assuming they could care less. And as far as I've read, no Japanese person has ever chimed in on the matter.

I feel "Jap" is indeed a perjorative, as that has been the most common usage of the term. It was used as a slur in WWII and before. Slurs come from who is delivering them and why- hence the "N" word being used freely amongst black folks.

When americans say "jap" bikes, it is often derogatory. I.e. Harley guys quickly dismissing a machine as just being a "jap piece of crap", etc.

And don't tell me nobody know it's a slur- even if you don't mean it as a slur, you MUST know that lots of people will take it as one, which means you are antagonistic, which is what using a slur is. So for God's sake, take typing lessons if typing out 5 extra characters is too much of a burden.

Remeber, no single person is the final arbiter of what is wrong or right- lack of tolerance and empathy is what makes certain people highjack planes and fly them into buildings.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 05:29 PM   #44
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default You recommend typing lessons...

You recommend typing lessons so that we could type all the letters of the word Japanese, yet you ommit an "m" from remember. This is the height of hypocracy!!!! think of that poor word out there without its "m". Pityful!!! lol
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 05:42 PM   #45
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Varadero & V-Strom

not only that but the V-Strom isn't out yet
Old 12-18-2001, 06:13 PM   #46
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Aprilia CapoNord photos by the grundle!!!

http://www.aprilia.com/ridezone/ing/models/etv/etv.htm
Old 12-18-2001, 11:42 PM   #47
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh God, not this again!

My using the term "Jap" as student said was in no way ment to be derogatory even if it was read that way. I own a "Japanease" bike and am very proud of the quality and engineering involved in this bike (Kawasaki ZRX1200). I did in fact use the short (Derogatory) meathod not to save time, but to save space, as is common courtesy in newsgroups. To those who are offended, and hyper-sensitive, I appologise.

Ps. I am about 70% german, even if someone used the term "Kraut" in a post, I would just giggle and read on. This politically correct crap is going WAY overboard.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 11:57 PM   #48
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Raising eyebrows -equal opportunity offensivenes

Please referr to my resonse under subject (RE:Ohh God, not this again). Most would use common sense and figure out that my using the term "Jap" was not meant to be Deragatory due to the fact that no insulting or fecious references were made to Japanease people anywhere in my post.

PLEASE LEAVE THE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS OUT OF MO's NEWSGROUP. TO SOME THIS IS THE ULTIMATE INSULT.( the way I see it, I had 2 responses that called me a biggot, which is VERY insulting to me! )
Old 12-19-2001, 12:13 AM   #49
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Easy now

Thanx Student, at least you are using common sense to see that I was not making a biggoted comment. Sometimes I feel like this is not a motorcycle newsgroup, but an etiquette class.
Old 12-19-2001, 01:02 AM   #50
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: You recommend typing lessons...

You mean hypocrisy, I think...
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote