Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-10-2001, 03:54 PM   #1
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

The thought is nice, but it still looks like an overdressed Nighthawk.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2001, 03:58 PM   #2
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Awesome!!!

When I started motorcycling four years ago, it seemed like streetbikes were all either cruisers or sportbikes. The 919--along with the SV650, ZRX, and FZ1--is really signalling that things are turning around and headed back to all-rounders. The above bikes are also reminding people that, yes, all-rounders CAN be sexy.

As for the 919 specifically, SEXY SEXY SEXY. I _love_ the looks, though it's more displacement and pricetag than I'd go for right now (hello SV650). I'm not sure about the practicality of the twin high exhaust (even with heat shields, it seems like they would cook the passenger), but the exhaust system looks beautiful. I vote the 919 the most attractive new model this year.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:11 PM   #3
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: Awesome!!!

I think the exhaust is ugly. I wouldn't own the bike because of that alone.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:20 PM   #4
RobM
Founding Member

[RANT]

What is it with Honda America and naming? Everywhere else in the world, this bike will be the Hornet 900. But No, that's not good enough for you good-ole-boys stateside. Gotta be different, eh? Well, there you go, lads. Same with your -named CBR929-RR vs FireBlade, and what the heck is a Night Hawk?? Is it a VTR1000-F Firestorm? I dunno, change for the sake of, IMHO.

As for the Fairing, you can bet that next model year they will have one with a poxy M900 replica screen, and once again IMHO, that is the worst excuse for a screen you ever will find, aesthetically speaking. Oh, but don't forget the Buell copies in the same style. Quite.

[/RANT]
RobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:27 PM   #5
Loudpipes
Founding Member

Here in Canada, we go by the Brit names (Fireblade, etc.)

I have no idea why here it's different than the States which we are not that different from in all other ways.

Anyway, another weird thing is the naming of the Fireblade. In the states it's the 929RR. Here it's the 929 Fireblade. And in England its 900RR Fireblade despite it's actual displacement being 929 cc just like over here.

Loudpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:33 PM   #6
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default About that screen...

Actually, if they decide they want a screen, they'd probably use the quarterfairing from the (UK-only) Hornet 600S, which is about as un-Monster-like as quarterfairings get. And very attractive.

I personally hope they leave it naked. In super-standards, I much prefer the naked look (ie 919) to the quarter-faired look (ie FZ1).
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:48 PM   #7
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Maybe we just don't go for froofy names as much as you girlie fellows in 'other' parts of the world. Quite.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 04:58 PM   #8
aminalmutha
Founding Member

This is one bad mamajama. I bet it's loads of fun. I'm glad to see the manufacturers continue with the muscle standards that perform nearly like sport bikes, but with better ergos. Now where's the GSXR1000 based Bandit? Any one at Suzuki listening?
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:41 PM   #9
RWUB
Founding Member

Default Re: About that screen...

There's looking nice, and then there's functioning well. I'll take the latter almost every time. And I wouldn't exactly consider the FZ1 a dog either.
RWUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:44 PM   #10
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Perhaps in bikes, but in cars it's sometimes the other way around. Mazda's sports car is badged both "Miata" and "MX-5", but is universally called a "Miata" in the U.S. and an "MX-5" in the UK. Go figure.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote