Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-11-2001, 10:07 AM   #71
solar1
Registered Member

Default Re: What about...

You have an excellent point and I did not forget about the FZ1, it is also a contender, though I am not crazy about the too small fairing. But aside from the FZ1 and the Interceptor, it just seems options here are limited. Plenty of poeple like sportbikes and plenty of people like cruisers and tourbikes, shouldn't there be more bikes that are a hybrid of these two? I think the BMW R1100S is awesome, but not for 13k.
solar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2001, 10:17 AM   #72
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: Super Standard Shootout?

So Minime,

Will we be seeing a shootout anytime soon?
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:23 AM   #73
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Then how about these?

Or how about the new Suzuki DL1000? High bars, sizable half-fairing, and TL1000 engine, all for less than 9 grand. I had forgotten about it before, but it really sounds good for you. Suzuki's page for the DL1000 is at:

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_02/sp.../fs_dl1000.htm

Or how about something like a Sprint ST or Sprint RS? Good compromise between sport and tour, killer performance with the new engine, and prices much closer to the VFR than the R1100S. And if you want large-displacement and fully-faired, you're not going to get cheaper than the VFR or Sprints.

If you _are_ willing to drop displacement, there's the YZF600R (not R6) and ZX6 (not 6R) for about $7000. Each makes about 90-100hp, as opposed to the SV's 65-75, and they've got a lot more wind protection. In this same category, there's the Katana 750--not very appealing IMHO, but still worth mentioning.

Options are limited, but there are a decent amount to choose from between the extremes of "cruiser" and "sportbike".
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:28 AM   #74
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked bikes?

"That stated, I am hoping for a true "R1 for the real world." Nobody has quite made it..."

Wait--what about the FZ1? It seems like it was designed by Yamaha to be the R1 for the real world. And it's cheap, so you can make it perfect for you without breaking your budget. If you like plastic but want the seating and tuning of the FZ1, just add plastic. If you like the seating but want R1 performance, re-tune the engine while keeping the nice ergos. If you want torque but don't like the high bars--well change them! Remember, the bike is $2 grand less than a YZF-R1, and you can do a lot of "perfecting" for two grand.

There are also the new Sprint RS and ST, using the new 955 engine.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:39 AM   #75
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default FZ-1

There is only one problem with the Yamaha FZ-1, but unfortunately its a deal killer. Like the half fairing on the Suzuki Bandit 1200 the FZ-1's nose is an eyesore! If I wanted an R1 I would buy one. It would seem to me that potential buyers of the FZ-1 are not repli-racer wantabes. Trying to copy the beak of the R1 was a mistake. The fairing is way to low, too small and is "trying" too hard to be cool, thus missing the mark. The SV650S and TL1000S have by far the best looking half fairings on the market. Unfortunately for me I already have an SV650 and the ergos of the TL1000 S are more like a GSXR or TL1000R. If I could ride in that position for more than 30 minutes, THAT'S WHAT I WOULD BE RIDING. Also unfortunately for me, I need a bike with more upright ergos, so I can go for a few hours, like I prefer to do. I want performance in chasis, brakes and motor. I foresee the ultimate bike for me being an SV1000 S in navy Blue. I have to bellieve that if they build that bike, many woulf flock to it. Consider after all the numerous multitudes who jumped on the original SV. Thousands of them are ready to jump up to the 1000 cc lump.

Suzuki could also trump the competition with a legitimate stock GSXR1000 motor in a new Bandit 1000 ( please with a new nose!!!!). That would be a bike I would buy if the SV1000 S never comes to fruition.

If none of these things come to pass, I too will be riding an Interceptor with new bars pulled up and back a few. Hopefully someone will make some slick new slip-ons for those under-the-seat pipes. I just can't ride a bike with stock cans. ALSO, I'll be waiting for a color other than red!!!!!!!! No offense to the Honda faithfull (too many bad memories of my pristine red CB1000 that I put to bed so long ago)

Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 10:49 AM   #76
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Re: Then how about these?

Student, the problem with the V-Strom (DL1000) apart from the fugly fairing and rediculous name is the long-travel suspension. Not great for those of us who love to carve turns by the gross. The triumphs are great bikes but, you've got to want to ride a Brit bike. The Speed triple is very cool but many of us want a Jap bike because we've had them by the hundreds and the quality / value ratio just can't be beat.

The YZF600 and ZX6 are great machines but are along way from an upright standard, like the 919 or the very desirable but unavailable SV1000 S. The Katana you were right about and should not be mentioned...ever
Old 12-11-2001, 10:59 AM   #77
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Honda X11 Please

The X11 is a rediculous looking pig of a bike. They missed the mark by a mile with that one. The comment that it is Porky looking is spot on. Nobody questions the power of the bike, but what a oinker!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 11:09 AM   #78
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default 2003 Honda Hawk GT 998 or Suzuki SV1000 S

2003 Honda Hawk GT 998 or Suzuki SV1000 S: Either one of these would be selling like hot-cakes!!!! The obvious rise in interest in naked or partially naked bikes combined with stonkin full liter V-Twin powerplants = sales success' that are here-to-fore unseen in the US. The Big Four don't like to take chances on new bikes ( for the obvious reason that a failure hurts profits) but do some research among the faithfull...we want these bikes to become a reality!!!! Look at the SV650, I remember the talk about this bike when it first came out. There was confusion at best about whether or not it would be a success. Then after people got to ride it...VOILA !!!!!! Huge numbers produced and sold. The same would hold true for these two bikes detailed above. The rumors have been swirling about the (submit your favorite swear words) SV1000 for years!!!!! Where the hell is it??????
Old 12-11-2001, 11:20 AM   #79
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Fairis Beuler would not be proud of you...

Abe, loved the movie so long ago and cudos to you for snatching up the name here. But what the hell is your problem with naked bikes and the people who love them. Nobody is trying to deprive you of the numerous repli-racers that are so abundantly available to the fiends who want ultimate speed, performance and handling!! So why come here and piss on our brains???

I'm closer to 40 than 30, but grew up riding performance Jap bikes (FZs FZRs CBRs etc.). Now that I'm an old fart, I need more comfy ergos to ride like I like to for hours on end. The GSXRs R1s and CBRs are just to radical for me to ride for more than just twenty minutes. Do I like it??? NO!!! Do I want to quit motorcycling???? NO!!! Someday you'll realize that you were a smallminded squid for blasting us foggies about the bikes we like, because you'll need one too. If not, more power to you, but lay off those of us who want what we want. Turn your anger to car drivers who don't see all of us!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 11:34 AM   #80
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

What difference does the FI make?