Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   First Ride: Honda 919 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/970-first-ride-honda-919-a.html)

BBD_Racing 12-11-2001 09:31 AM

Re: First Ride: Honda 919

No boo-boo, the dyno image worked fine. What I meant was instrumented testing, like acceleration, weight, etc. Speaking of which, you were able to dyno it, but not weight it?

starvingstudent 12-11-2001 09:32 AM

What about...

The FZ1? More modern-looking and lean than the retro ZRX, more weather protection than a 919, lots more power than an SV650 (140 claimed hp as opposed to 75 claimed hp), less "dowdy" than a B1200, and only $8499. A friend of mine picked up an FZ1 last summer, and he absolutely loves it. From what you say, the FZ1 is tailor-made to your needs.

markszrz 12-11-2001 09:33 AM

Re: ZRX!!!!

Green rules!

slowburner_1 12-11-2001 09:36 AM

Re: First Ride: Honda 919

Sometimes less is more. The 919 is one such instance. Great looking bike, and practical. If I were in the position to buy a new motorcycle within the next six months, I would well consider the 919.

Check out the 360º Quicktime view at Honda's web site.

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/model..._number=CB900F

ssmiley 12-11-2001 09:37 AM

Re: Naked Feedback

Without a doubt the North American divisions of the big 4 are fairly buttoned down with respect to style.

Regarding the X11, it doesn't improve the odds when your model is listed as one of BIKE's ten worst rides of all time.

Flaccid suspension, funky ergos, 5 speed tranny, -- did I mention looks?

BBD_Racing 12-11-2001 09:43 AM

Re: Naked bikes?

The problem with the R1 solution is that many of us live in boring places, geographically. Full blast sportbike riding positions are unpleasant unless riding on a racetrack or at positively stupid speeds on the street. I ride bikes for pleasure, not because I like discomfort. I've never wanted my girlfriend to whip me when we fool around "just to prove that I am not old."

That stated, I am hoping for a true "R1 for the real world." Nobody has quite made it, but Aprilia has a new show bike ("Toumo" I think) that is a Mille R with a comfy place to sit.

Anyway, the current problem is, as you stated, all "naked sportbikes" are pretty seriously comprimised right now. If the 919 has a 954 engine and a real suspension, it would be perfect.

As for looks, to each his own. I adore the R1, I love the ZRX and I dream of a KTM 520.

aminalmutha 12-11-2001 09:47 AM

Re: Why buy a naked bike?

I've ridden some rediculously bumpy roads, and the only bikes I've gotten head shake on were old standards. Sportbikes don't necessarily slap the tank like a red-headed step child. Some do need steering dampers, but so what? Sport bikes are fun and so are standards.

markszrz 12-11-2001 09:49 AM

Re: Naked bikes?

Ya I'd take your Triple over the R1 any day of the week. I don't race on a track and spend most of my time riding the freeways and mountains in Southern California. A much better choice for everyday riding. Like you said you don't see many around and I know at least when I run in to one, I go check it out.The R1 looks like everthing else out there. Don't get me wrong, it's a great bike but some folks buy a bike to make them look good instead of the right bike for their type of riding. I could be wrong though, maybe our R1 friend rides the track everyday and can "eek out" everybit of horsepower etc.. from the bike. Hell I bet when he's not riding on the track (what 5-6 days a week) he's racing around the Chicago area eating up all those other bikes. If that's the case, it's just a matter of time before he wipes the bike out and I see one more R1 up for sale with Custom paint.

BBD_Racing 12-11-2001 09:50 AM

Re: More on Sport-Standards...

As a Hawk rider/racer, I would love to see a new Hawk. Keep the swingarm, the looks, the weight (mine is 370lbs street ready, tank empty, but no carbon,Ti,etc) and the looks.

Just give us a real engine this time.

The Superchicken is a literbike and although that is a good thing in and of itself, there is beauty in a tiny 650 twin. Then there is beauty. What possessed Honda to ditch the swingarm and clean lovely frame? That was the Hawk's signature and the reason the Superhawk hasn't sold well.

Gonadius 12-11-2001 10:01 AM

Re: ZRX!!!!

ZRX indeed rules! Ain't no replacement for displacement. The green thing is debatable though. ;)

Oh, and the ZRX has far more displacement (storage) under the seat too, thanks to its outboard (three-way adjustable, I might add) shocks. I'm glad I didn't wait for this assfault-colored blob before making my decision.