Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-11-2001, 08:51 AM   #51
boxjoint
Founding Member

Default Re: Why buy a naked bike?

Amen.
boxjoint is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2001, 08:56 AM   #52
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Apparently not this particular "flexi-framed" sport-standard.....It appears that it has problems keeping the back tire in contact with the ground, let alone its poise. By the way, if you're riding a frost and gravel-covered, cracked, tarsealed road, having a "sport-standard" isn't going to save you. Maybe a KX250 will. Or a four-wheeler.

I have never experienced headshake on an R1. Court is adjourned.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:59 AM   #53
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Movin

You sure that you aren't already running moonshine? Ya gotta be nuts to buy a factory made ratbike! Ratbikes have to be earned, not bought. There is nothing on the planet sillier than a brand new matte (what is that color- gray? black? asphalt? huh?) 748.

The whole point of a flat black paint job is that you ride instead of spending your time and money on paint!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:02 AM   #54
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Where does this come from?

Geez, man, not all sportbike riders are laying scratches everywhere they go. I have never intentionally done a burnout on my Yamaha. I don't go sit at Champ's downtown and pose, and I hate putzing around the lakes at 10MPH. I wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots. I have not actually touched a peg to the ground (although my boot has a number of times.) You want to ride then let's go ride.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:05 AM   #55
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default All I want for Christmas is....

a shiny new blue and white gsx1400. Give me the adjustable suspension, big comfy seat, stompin' midrange, and best naked bike looks bar-none.

C'mon American Suzuki, there's got to be another five to ten potential owners on this side of the pond.

Stan

http://www.gsx1400.org/images/suzuki/gsx_1400_side.jpg

ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:18 AM   #56
starvingstudent
Founding Member

If the 919's rear suspension needs work, then it needs work. But that is an individual problem, not one inherent in sport-standards.

And by the way, I can handle those questionable roads just fine on a Shadow 600 or W650, so I see no reason to buy a dual-sport or ATV instead of a sport-standard just because I don't ride on racetrack-smooth asphalt. Really, you think that cracks in pavement and gravel in corners mean you need a dual-sport?! Come on!

Never experienced headshake on an R1? Well, if you don't understand that "frost-heaved" DOESN'T mean there's frost _currently on the pavement_ (or on the surface of the pavement at all), then you obviously haven't ridden in the situation where I predicted you WOULD get headshake. Your argument is moot. Court adjourned.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:20 AM   #57
solar1
Registered Member

Default Re: With You!

I agree, I have an SV650, which I really like but a) I want more power (don't we all) and b) I ride enough that I am starting to want weather protection. I think the SV is comfy but the TL seems to be too sporting for long distance riding. Same with the Falco. I had high holes for the 919 but it doesn't have any protection, either. Since I don't want a full on sportbike, the Bandit is a little too dowdy for me (I am 29) and the ZRX isn't that attractive, it would seem I am limited to the Interceptor or the fabled SV1000s, should it materialize. I don't think I am exactly a niche market, I want a competent street bike that can do mild track duty and allow me to do some reasonable touring. A 14,000 ST4 or Futura is a little rich for my blood. Am I the only one who wants a bike like this?
solar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:23 AM   #58
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked Feedback

The X-11 is:

*more powerful and torquier.

*just about the heaviest naked bike out there.

*porky-looking, to say the least. Only a VMAX can make it look slim.

*Downright silly: 150hp with no fairing whatsoever? Wind resistance should cleanly remove your head from your shoulders.

The 919 is:

*a bit less powerful.

*the lightest naked bike out there (excluding smaller-displacement bikes like the SV650).

*lean, sleek, mean, sexy.

*a great compromise between BOOYAH! and real-world-practicality.

American Honda's decision seems pretty straight-forward to me.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:29 AM   #59
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Regarding performance numbers...

Not exactly. The ZRX makes about 27% more torque. Torque, not power is what moves a bike forward. Power only matters when there is a large difference in RPM, thus allowing a large difference in gearing.

If we use a 180 lb rider and add that to the weight to the bike, we find that the ZRX+rider only outweighs the 919+rider by 10%. Hence, the ZRX should feel significantly faster most all the time. In fact, if you take the torque and divide it by the total weight, here's what you get:

RPM......ZRX advantage (percent)

On the other hand, the ZRX is geared tall, so that hurts it. Easy to fix, though. The ZRX's weight will hurt it in handling. The Honda looks like a great bike with mediocre suspension and a little weak.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:30 AM   #60
veloce4c
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

A little more than 10 years ago USA had bikes with names, Hurricane, Ninja, Katana, Interceptor to name some of them. Well as we all bought bikes and in turn crashed bikes the insurance companies figured out which names were crahing more than others. So for a few years most of the Manufacturers got away from names and just used the letter designations which are the same anywhere in the world. Seca 2(Amercian) or Diversion(European/Canadian) its still an XJ600 in the parts book/fiche.

I had a Harley guy complain about alphabet bikes when I was working for a Harley shop. I asked him what he rode he told me a Low Rider Custom. I then pointed out he rode an FXLRC not and FLSTC (Heritage Softail) he scratched his head and said at least its American and walked off mad. All manufacturers use a letter/number designation in anything they produce.
veloce4c is offline   Reply With Quote