Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   First Ride: Honda 919 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/970-first-ride-honda-919-a.html)

Hadji 12-11-2001 08:18 AM

With You!

Rugby expression - with the exception of being more modest. Naked, is fun, but I like a little weather protection as I ride year round. SV1000S, 919 w/RC51 Engine and a 3/4 fairing, etc. Come on somebody, if you build it they will come.

starvingstudent 12-11-2001 08:19 AM

Regarding performance numbers...

Remember that though the 919's horsepower is down from the FZ1 and ZRX, it's power-to-weight RATIO is as good or better than those two bikes. And it's power-to-weight ratio that determines acceleration, not pure dyno numbers.

tbuse 12-11-2001 08:21 AM

Re: Naked bikes?

I have a Speed Triple because I liked everything about it. Great engine, different looks, not as uncomfortable as a race replica, but a heck of a lot more fun. But then again, I actually ride it. It's never been in the parking lot of a donut shop, I don't compare "chicken strips" and I don't check grind marks on other bike's pegs. Too many posuers on sport bikes. The Speed Triple compliments my Trophy 900. It is a good all around bike.

AseeCobra 12-11-2001 08:21 AM

Naked Feedback

For those of you that like the 919, what are your thoughts on the big bore CB1100SF, or also known as the X11? If you don't know what it is, it's a naked XX. And why do you think American Honda didn't choose to import this bike (available since 98) and picked the 919?

minime 12-11-2001 08:26 AM

Re: Awesome!!!

Starving,

I did a number of miles (one hundred and something) with a passenger on back, and she's a complaint factory, but she had no problems back there whatsoever.

Minime

starvingstudent 12-11-2001 08:31 AM

Why buy a naked bike?

1.) Some of us really like seeing the engine as opposed to fiberglass panels. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember? The Sausage King's views are not blindly followed by all. I think that the 919 is _far_ more attractive than the R1--even the new one.

2.) It's more comfortable. BEFORE YOU START: I am 20 years old, 5'6", 120 lbs, and athletic. I am NOT arthritic. But I have more fun if my wrists aren't sore, and GSXR ergonomics make my wrists sore. It's simply not necessary to have those ergonomics for street riding--you can get all the performance you want without them.

3.) "An R1 will destroy this thing in a roll-on, let alone a redline-tagging dragrace." That's nice. I don't drag-race. I _do_ ride mountain backroads where the pavement is sometimes heaved by frost, sometimes worn down to almost nothing, sometimes cracked, sometimes gouged, sometimes littered with gravel. And on those, a "flexi-framed" sport-standard will keep its poise perfectly, while your R1 will remind you what headshake feels like on a minute-by-minute basis. And reaching that backroad cafe thirty seconds earlier doesn't matter one bit, because there's no "winner's podium" in the real world. It's just a matter of enjoying yourself. And don't even let me get into longer trips (not highway miles, but following mountain backroads from, say, Boulder CO to Saratoga WY).

starvingstudent 12-11-2001 08:33 AM

Re: Awesome!!!

Awesome. The burns thing was conjecture--I've never experienced high pipes firsthand. It seemed like they would burn, but then of course the oh-so-practical F650GS uses a similar design. Glad to hear it's not a problem. Chalk up one more positive about the 919.

minime 12-11-2001 08:46 AM

Re: First Ride: Honda 919

As I replied to Starving above, I had a passenger strapped to the back for a nice ride on Sunday. She didn't once about the accommodations. And she's certainly one to . So, I'd say the pillion accommodations are nice. Room for legs (she's 5'8, 130 lbs) with legs that go all the way up to her, um...

Exhaust heat wasn't a problem.

Minime

Lowrez 12-11-2001 08:47 AM

Forget the passenger...

I just want to know if I can throw on a pair of saddle bags without any meltage.

boxjoint 12-11-2001 08:48 AM

ZRX!!!!

Meee Two (Have a green 01' and love it)