Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-02-2002, 11:35 AM   #291
torrnado
Founding Member

Default '02 Honda 919

I sold my '98 CB750 Nighthawk and bought a new Honda 919 (CB900F2) in Asphalt Black. I had ridden my Nighthawk for over four years and really liked the bike for its simplicity and simple motorcycle lines. However, this new 919 is amazing. A sh*tload of power, extremely light (compared to the Nighthawk), extremely rigid and a dream to drive (fast!). I absolutely love the bike!

The paint and color are awesome and requires very little work to keep clean. I'm told that the paint can actually be damaged if you attempt to wax it. I even like the Mad Max look. So far, none of my passengers have burned themselves on the pipes (especially compared to the Nighthawk), nor complained about heat.

The bike could definitely use a fuel gauge (it has a reserve fuel light), dual trip odometers (convenience for fuel economy and for a trip or watching my chain mileage) and a clock. I wish Honda would create a Hondaline windshield/screen, but laying on the tank at 100mph helps.

For $8,000 out the door (in Southern California), it's an excellent all-around bike for the price. I highly recommend the bike.

Torr Melling

torrnado@hotmail.com

San Diego, California
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2002, 03:03 PM   #292
torrnado
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

I have read complaints from more serious-minded riders, but I find it excellent for all-around drivability. My passengers love how compliant the rear suspension is (compared to my previous bike).
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:41 AM   #293
LtlBoyBuell
Founding Member

Default Re: new link

This seems to work ...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/d...umentID=115794
LtlBoyBuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 03:49 AM   #294
cr
Founding Member

Default Steel vs. Aluminum

Steel weighs more than aluminum, but steel is more compact and allows for more design options. I don't fault Honda for using steel in their design.
cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:29 PM   #295
McGrorty
Founding Member

I always find it interesting to compare the run of motorcycle riders with the folks who prefer to use automobiles to get around. The greater portion of MC folk seem drawn to machines that function as much to preserve or create a personal image as to cover ground without walking. I have always wondered where the motorcycling equivalent of the Ford Taurus-type car is; there aren't many made like that; the market is dominated by imitation racers and imitation Hell's Angels sleds. For that matter, so are the publications. Take this here Honda 919. Folks are complaining that it is too docile. Docile? Evidently these are young folk who never experienced the Japanese bikes of the seventies, which by the way weren't docile, though they were far less powerful than the current crop. We were afraid of the power of the 750 Four, and rightfully so. Much more growl than the 350 and 450 bikes we rode, and we made them go plenty fast around corners. We'd have thought the 919 hard to control; we'd have considered it cramped-up and tight. Now then, were we the mental inferiors of today's children, or did we know something they don't? Well, for one thing, we rode our bikes to work, primarily. Had to; my friends didn't own cars. Cars were expensive and hard to park. Tell you what, if you had to do everything with one bike, had a job that required a decent commute and that you take along more than your underwear, and absolutely had to travel in all weather, you'd buy a skateboard before a Ninja or an Interceptor. Carving the canyons? More like carving the crayons. Trust me: if and when you live for more than the sound of your own voice or the roar of tailpipes, assuming you still ride, you'll wonder where all the reasonable bikes went, too.
McGrorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:26 PM   #296
Grizz_1
Founding Member

Well said
Grizz_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #297
pdxgeek
Founding Member

Default THEY TRIED THIS BEFORE: CB1000!!

I love my 2000 bandit 600... BUT I plan on trading it in this fall for a 919. I'll slap a headlamp cowl on it and it'll be perfect!

Personally I don't get why people want to ride all hunched over all the time. I was looking at the SV1000S but it has the same awful riding positon as a sport bike. The 919 sits like a dream.
pdxgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #298
neepuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Awesome!!!

yeah no ***** i agree...
neepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:09 AM   #299
neejurk
Founding Member

Default Re: You're wrong

I can say soft saddlebags, because they're on my 919 right now! What you don't realize is that you can touch the exhausts with your bare buttcheek and not get burned. Excellent exhaust design!

neejurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:24 AM   #300
neejurk
Founding Member

Default Missing the boat with exhaust

I've read several posts of folks not willing to buy the 919 because of the exhaust location. I have a 919 and can put my hand on the double-walled construction after the bike has been running for an hour - and it just feels warm. Also, I have soft luggage that sits on the exhaust and have had zero problems. They've been on for 6 months now. You might find the exhaust ugly (I don't), but don't complain about the heat becuase it's not a problem.
neejurk is offline   Reply With Quote