Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   First Ride: Honda 919 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/970-first-ride-honda-919-a.html)

intruderman 12-11-2001 03:18 AM

Re: Awesome!!!

I just bought an SV650S, but I've ridden a naked SV and they are huge fun for the money. Can you say "wheelie"? My ego would like a liter-size standard, but the SV will give 90% of bikers all they can handle.

jim111 12-11-2001 03:26 AM

Re: Awesome!!!

The exhaust ports are awesome!!Reason enough to buy the 919

Janet 12-11-2001 03:27 AM

Re: First Ride: Honda 919

Actually Honda are offering their own crash mushrooms for the Hornet 900, in the UK at any rate. I've actually got some on order (dealer agreed to include them without charge), but they haven't arrived yet. You can see a (small) picture of an accessorised Hornet 900, including the crash mushrooms, at http://www.honda-motorcycle.co.uk/sh...s_hornet/1.jpg

jim111 12-11-2001 03:29 AM

Don't knock the Nighthawk, one of the most popular bikes of all time. The 919 is truly an upgrade to the CB750 Nighthawk and should be a welcome addition to the Honda line.

intruderman 12-11-2001 03:33 AM

Re: 919 and feelin

"I also painted the whole bike flat black. It makes the bike less desirable to theives..."

Jeez, Gabe. If you puts a few dents in the gas tank and broke the headlight it would be even less desirable to thieves, but is that a good reason to do it? It must be terrible to have such a serious problem with thieves that you have to spoil the original paint job. Why don't you move over here to North Georgia? We've got some great roads and not so many thieves.

jim111 12-11-2001 03:36 AM

Engine guards are an accessory, albeit the small "mushroom" type. Hornet 600 users report that the stainless steel covers protect passenger legs from heat and offer no threat to saddlebags. So, no problem there.

das 12-11-2001 03:57 AM

You've got a point about the clip-ons... that seems rather counter to the purpose of the bike. A small fairing and saddlebags might be more appropriate modifications to try out.

However, IMHO, a good suspension is required for any bike that you're actually going to ride. Nobody mistakes the Bandit 600S for a supersport bike, but the first thing most owners modify is the suspension; not because they think it will make it a supersport bike, but because the stock suspension is just so bad. If MO is correct, and the rear end of the 919 bounces badly mid-corner, you will benefit by fixing it, even if you are in the target market.

NickdaBrick 12-11-2001 05:36 AM

Looks way cool. I think I want one. BUT: How is it for passengers? I'm a little concerned about those high pipes.

Also, that paint job. Sure, it's streetfighter cool, but I think it would look better if they gave the motor the blackout treatment and painted the tank, front fender, and body panels flame orange.

markszrz 12-11-2001 05:42 AM

Re: Where was the 919 two years ago?

After reading the initial posts, I have to fess up that I was one of "those guys" who owned a 97 NightHawk 750. Now I had installed a Rifle Super Bike Fairing and to this day it's still the best (in my opinun) all around motorcyle I have owned. Now although faster than cars, the bike never really had enough power to suite me. I seem to recall my two previous Suzuki GS 750's having more guts in the performance area but the Honda's quality outshined them all. I waited and waited for Honda to release a NightHawk with balls and they never did. Ultimately I ended up at Kawasaki last March and bought a 2001 ZRX1200-R and have fallen in love with the bike and the attention it gets from the 30 somthing crowd that remember the bike from the 80's. I don't think I am ready to trade in my ZRX for the 919 yet but if they kick it up to 1200 - I'm there.

BBD_Racing 12-11-2001 06:13 AM

Names: What is up with Honda? 919?? OK, we have a famous old name (CB900F) that fits the bike perfectly, but we go with 919. Almost as stupid as Acura's recent naming (ie ditching "Legend" for 3.5RL).

Clip-Ons: DOH! Listen MO, if we wanted to be uncomfortable, we'd buy uncomfortable bikes. Makers build comfy bikes and you suggest making them uncomfortable. Really dumb idea.

Suspension: No excuses Honda. You blew it. Putting decent adjustable suspension would cost maybe $400 on list price, but it will cost $1000 to fix your screwup. No sale.

Dyno: I'll wait for the performance numbers, but it doesn't look good.

Testing: MO, you have a chance to atone for your clipon sin. When you do the comparo, do a bunch of roll-ons. Not just top gear, but several gears. Do a real-world drag. Car and Driver calls it a "street start". They roll through the lights at 5mph then nail it. Much more like reality than a dragstip launch.