Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-05-2002, 09:10 PM   #281
stephanpark
Founding Member

Default Re: More on Sport-Standards...

My favorite bike was the NT650. This is the closest I have seen Honda come, and to be honest I really like it. But not enough to buy. I am looking for something with a bit more character than tucked tail pipes. V twin with a true frame and Street Fighter looks...yeah, something like a skinnied up VTR with slick bikini faring, better handling under 8G. You got my money.
stephanpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2002, 09:33 PM   #282
stephanpark
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

I threw something together a Photoshoped mockup based on press release photos. This is only an initial test of modification I would like on a 919. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:52 AM   #283
stephanpark
Founding Member

Default Re: You're right.

two brothers already figured it out. Riding pillion would be...dangerous in stock arrangement.
Old 03-23-2002, 01:46 PM   #284
jwasson1
Founding Member

I traded in my 01 Sabre and wife's 01 VLX deluxe on an 02 919. Long story short, she won't ever be able to ride due to non-cycle foot injury. Anyway, wanted something more in the performance category because I also own a modified 87 Grand National and a modified 01 SVT Lightning. Lotsa research later, decided on the 919. Picked the bike up today...very cold out ! The 919 was simply awesome. Very smooth when you want to simply cruise, but very wicked when you twist the wrist. Only limited riding time today, but should get several hours in tomorrow. Can't wait

JeffW
1987 Buick Grand National
http://home.midsouth.rr.com/wassons/
jwasson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 08:28 PM   #285
loftydog
Founding Member

Default Re: Thank you, Thank you.....

I weep for the future....you touch me I yell rat.

Just for comparisons sake, I can say that as a former 600SS racer and rider of over 40k street miles, I love "naked" bikes. Why? Repli-racers are only fun doing what they were designed to do, race. Staying alive on city streets or neglected roads are not what they do well, leaving you with the option of endless gear shifts to stay in the sweet spot or the power delay of screamer engines. When going out canyon carving, I would always choose my Buell over my GSX-R. No, I'm not an escapee or damaged, but a realist who understands that the torque curve and riding position can help you dirt-track that blind corner covered with gravel or manhandle the bike in a corner that tightens up more than expected. On a track, for short periods of time, give me any one of the ankle-behind-my-ears two or four cylinder bikes. For everything else, give me an upright, throwable naked bike with a torque curve the size of my left foot (the right one suffered a freak pearing knife incident)

---

With your bad knee, Ed, you shouldn't be throwing anyone.
loftydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 05:09 PM   #286
SuburbanRancher
Founding Member

Now that you've had some time on it, how is the stock suspension?
SuburbanRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:23 PM   #287
DanceEagle
Founding Member

Just took a 919 out for a few mile test ride. Overall a great bike. Very fast. Easy to control. Gear changes were notchy but that probably is a break in factor on any new bike.

Suggestion.....before you switch be sure to ride the 919 (or any new bike) to be sure it fits you during riding. The wrist angle was all wrong for me (and maybe you) and suspension was pretty stiff jumpy over anything rough.

Terrific price for a very competent bike IF it fits you right.

DanceEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:58 PM   #288
DanceEagle
Founding Member

My quick ride on the 919 told me it needs work on the shocks and forks. Without that it remains a cool street bike but not for serious twisty use. Doubt many would disagree with this.
DanceEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 05:02 PM   #289
daithi
Founding Member

Default Re: Great comparo!!!

hI LATESHOW, THEY SAY THAT BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. BIKE MAG, THAT HIGHLY RESPECTED PUBLICATION FROM THE UK RECENTLY COMPARED THE SUZOOK1400, THE XJR1300 AND THE ZXR1200 AND THEY GAVE THE KWACKER THE OVERALL WIN. THEY SAID IT WAS(IN THEIR OPINION) THE BEST LOOKING BIKE AND IT WAS ALSO THE FASTEST BIKE IN JUST ABOUT ANY CATEGORY YOU CARE TO MENTION. THE SUZUKI BY THE WAY WAS DESCRIBED AS A TARTS HANDBAG!! AND THE YAM AS JUST BLAND. THE SUZOOK HAS A MEASLY 98 HP AND IS VERY HEAVY.
daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:52 AM   #290
MRVW
Registered Member

I bought a 919 because it looked like a perfect stepping-stone to high performance after 30 years of Harleys and singles. Liked simple naked look and plainness of color (which Honda calls, somewhat ominously if you ask me, "Asphalt"). I particularly appreciate the concentration of power in the mid-range at the expense of the high end; at 58 I have I no business screwing around over 110 mph. This bike is very easy to ride, maneuver, and push around. If I get in the mood to play Bob Big**** it wheelies effortlessly. Ergs are pretty good for us old farts.

All that aside, the handlebars are hideous little Schwinn lookalikes--the only chrome on the bike except for the equally hideous mirrors--and totally out of place. Their placement sucks, too--short span with wrists raised and pointing outwards--a sure recipe for tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, or both.

Higher, thicker bars are needed! I know that lower bars are made for the 919 by Suburban Machinery, etc., but if you want less friendly ergs you want a 929 or a 954.

Lastly, somebody needs to produce a removable tombstone wind deflector for this thing.
MRVW is offline   Reply With Quote