Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-17-2001, 06:52 PM   #251
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Northern Cal!

Guys, I meant move south as in "to a more southern location then where you currently are", not "specifically to Phoenix". And true, a lot of people can't take the heat (hopefully that means it won't get so overcrowded here), but I ride even in the 110+ weather.

I can also say that SV650's couldn't care less about the heat. Old V4 Hondas, which are known to have a few issues with cooling related to accelerated cam wear, are less happy. I have a feeling the SV is going to be one of those bulletproof bikes that never breaks on it's own. Of course that could be a Suzuki thing - sounds like Bandits are the same way.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2001, 07:23 PM   #252
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Honda Hawk GT 998 or Suzuki SV1000 S

I think the Superhawk is more like the SV650S than the regular old SV650. Personally the S never did anything for me.

Another drawback of narrow bikes is the mirrors are basically useless, like my SV's are. On my other bikes I can actually see what's behind me, on the SV I get a great view of my shoulders.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:11 PM   #253
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: I

You currently ride a Shadow 600, don't you? The SV is NOT gonna feel right on a test ride unless you are used to that type of bike. Based on your style of riding (from other posts), I would go for it regardless though, it is by far the best really cheap sportbike available and there is also nothing with more usable power in its class.
Old 12-17-2001, 08:48 PM   #254
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: But

What do you consider vibration? Is it the buzz of and inline 4 or the pulses of a V engine?

I used to be anal about smoothness, I thought I liked the smoothness of an inline 4 (I had a Nighthawk S) and nothing else was right. The first time I test rode a V engined bike (a current style Magna) it felt weird, even wrong, because I could feel the pulses whereas my Nighthawk was sowing machine smooth, but I got to like it by the end of the test ride. Now I wouldn't have anything else but a v-twin or V4...
Old 12-18-2001, 01:54 AM   #255
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Horsepower is character

especially when it's coming from a big four. And I don't mean a new liquid cooled 900 with a microscopic stroke, I mean oil cooled gixxers and earlier. V fours are ok, but a VFR for instance is a docile kitten in power and general feel compared to an early gixxer 11. Even the V max is a bit dull compared to a real streetfighter. If you don't believe that, try riding a stroked GS big block some time, it will put hair on your chest.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:59 AM   #256
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default a nighthawk, well no wonder

you don't think an inline four can have character
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:06 PM   #257
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: 251

Wisea$$.

that's a compliment, by the way.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 03:52 PM   #258
jim111
Founding Member

Default Re: 919

Glad there is so much interest in the 919. I think it's a great bike and I can't wait till mine arrives.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 03:58 PM   #259
jim111
Founding Member

Default Re: What the Manufacturers consider when designing a new bik

If, if, if. This is the bike and we'll live with it. It's been said that there may be other engines that can fit within the frame. Some of the more deficient parts may well be upgraded in the future and certainly can be enhanced by the owner. All things are never perfect at the beginning, unless, maybe a marriage.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 08:51 AM   #260
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Honda 919 In the new Motorcyclist Magazine

Well, I don't know if anyone is still coming here to read this thread, but I am feeling some vindication after reading the article on the 919 in the Feb. 2002 issue of Motorcyclist.

They basically make all the points I've been making here, namely:

954 motor would have let it really compete.

919 is "severely detuned" ..." only 13 hp more than the Hornet 600.

Warmed over Hornet styling isn't going to "turn any heads".

Multiple color choices in Europe-only one for the U.S. (would you like that in asphalt???).

The article ends with this quote:

"Just don't buy this motorcycle thinking you're getting some lean mean streetfighter with the heart and attitude of the fearsome CBR900RR, that's all."

Let me sum up...Missed opportunity to capture the top spot in naked standards, in styling and performance. Its obviously better than the CB1000, but think about how cool it could have been!!! Maybe they'll get it right when the redesign the Superhawk.

Honda are you listening??? We hope so
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote