Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-13-2001, 06:39 AM   #201
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Argh......

If the problem with the TLS is ergos, the Superchicken pretty much addresses that. And again, it ain't too hard or expensive to seriously improve on the TLS's ergos. The only problem I see with the current Superhawk is gas range and beauty. It ain't bad, but it aint the NAS or the Hawk for that matter.

As for my earlier comments about a new Hawk, I didn't mean for it to be a literbike, just a really good 650. The original Hawk had a 3 valve motor based on the Ascot. The crank breaks above about 9500RPM and/or 75 hp, both of which are hard to achieve anyway. I would like a new one, just like the old one except a strong crank, good heads and a good front end (just lift the F4's, it couldn't add more than $500 to the price).

Anyway, the whole point of the argh is that many people clamor enormously for an SV1000 when the VTR1000 and TLS are pretty close. Furthermore, I think that some people think that an SV1000 would be just as gentle and forgiving as an SV650. Not likely.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2001, 06:47 AM   #202
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: The fact of the matter

I'll agree that resale is a consideration, but it is easy to convert it back. I'll also agree that the ergos on the TLS are really lousy and the fairing makes it more difficult.

I think the sales problem is caused by a mixture of reputation and aesthetics. The TLS has an undeserved rep for bad handling and the VTR has one for being less manly.

Beauty is unfortnately expensive. If either bike were gorgeous, they'd sell better. In the repliracer world, mediocre looks can get you by (eg GSXR), but in the pure emotion/pleasure niche, beauty and comfort are big deals. That's why the ZRX has done so well. Although some don't dig it, many people think it is great looking. Many think the VTR is nice looking, but few think it is stunning.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:07 AM   #203
Z-Rod
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda 919

Why does UK get three colors for every Honda and we always get 1. UK got VFR in blue, black, red, yellow ... we got red only. UK gets XX in silver, black, grey, red, blue ... we get one of these A YEAR ... and never blue.

[b]

HONDA USA sucks. Lazy dealers don't want to deal with colors ... but they lose sales. Suzuki does better.
Z-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:17 AM   #204
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Time to break out the sled.....

And start watching Slednecks videos.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:34 AM   #205
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: snow on the ground

Not much to do? How 'bout pack your stuff and move south?

There's rarely a day in Phoenix when I don't ride. Just got back from lunch on the SV...
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:55 AM   #206
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Phoenix 110 degrees in summer

No thanks on the invitation. Two of my friends have moved there in the last three years for business. The both hate the unbearable heat of summer.

June 15th - Sept. 15th three months of 110+ degrees and Monsoon during August and Sept. are humid to boot!!! So there are three months a year here and three months a year there when its not so fun to ride. The only difference is when you have your best weather,compared to when we have our's. I'll take the mountain west anyday.

If I ever move from here, it will be to San Diego, where the rest of my family is. Southern Cal is one place where you can truely ride all year, I should know, I spent the first 23 years of my life there.
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 08:28 AM   #207
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Great comparo!!!

Thanks steve for the great read. I've been going to that site more and more but hadn't stumbled upon that article.

I like the looks of the Suzuki, then the Yamaha, and the Kwacker the least. If I bought one of these bikes it would have to be a "second bike". Therefore it would be a tought choice between the Suzuki and the Yamaha. These are bikes on which you could easily hang with almost any MC crowd. I would probably end up falling for the beautiful motif of Blue and White on the Suzuki. What can I say, I buy Chevron gas too. I'm a sucker for those colors.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:37 AM   #208
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default American Honda Fu#$%^&

I hope some squid at Honda is tasked with reading these boards and reporting the feedback.

If so "Pull your heads out"!!!!!!

I wouldn't be a 919 buyer in its current config in any color. But I would bet that many will choose a different bike based solely on color.

I might have to settle for an Interceptor, but WON'T buy another bright red bike ever again!!!!!!

Its just so easy, OFFER MORE COLORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't the U.S. the bigger market??? Don't we desrve more options than Europe????

What the Fu#$% is the problem????
Old 12-13-2001, 09:07 AM   #209
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha FZ1 not retuned

Not just the carb size, but the carbs were changed to side-draft, which have a much slower air-flow. They did it in order to have a bigger fuel tank, so you can't even change it back to R1 specs.

Also the crankshaft was made heavier.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:30 AM   #210
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Northern Cal!

If you've got proper raingear, you can easily ride all year in Northern California too--and there's some d@mned fine roads up there. It's all a question of whether you prefer to be surrounded by surfers or hippies. I prefer the latter.

In Colorado, you can comfortably ride for 8-9 months out of the year, and there isn't a single month where you don't get in at least a few rides, since the temperature fluctuates wildly in winter.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote