Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-12-2001, 09:07 PM   #191
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda 919

If that matt black paint scheme is so popular in Europe why is it that you get it in the USA but we get three gloss colours in the UK and, as far as I know, the rest of Europe. My one is in a lovely gloss black, see http://www.btinternet.com/~Andrew.Janet/wusi.htm

Here in the UK we also have a blue or silver to choose from - but no matt black at all. Until I saw the bike at our bike show I assumed that we would be getting the same matt black as you, and decided that I wanted any colour other than the black. Then I saw our gloss black scheme and changed my mind. In Australia it comes in red too, though I'm not sure what other colours they get.

Also, here in Europe, to some extent that colour is associated with budget versions of bikes. The various Ducati Monster Darks come in that sort of colour, with slightly lower levels of equipment and a bit cheaper than the standard Monster they're based on.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2001, 09:20 PM   #192
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: why vibration?

Asking "What's so bad about vibration?" is like asking "What's so bad about getting your nuts caught in an Osterizer?" If you have to ask, you'd never understand.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 09:26 PM   #193
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Why buy a naked bike?

I did make it over the Medicine Bow mountains (12,600 feet elevation at the top) at a decent clip, but I wasn't passing anyone. There wasn't anyone to pass--that's what's great about roadtrips through Wyoming.

As for the wanting more speed, I'm all there. That's why I'm trading the Shadow in for an SV650 this spring. But this discussion was about handling, not speed, and my point was that the Shadow can handle any road that is vaguely paved. The W650 can handle anything paved and dirt/gravel roads too. You don't _need_ a dual-sport just because there's some cracks in the pavement and gravel in the corners. That's like _needing_ a GoldWing for an overnight trip.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:02 AM   #194
steve345uk
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha XJR1300 and Suzuki GSX 1400 Eurpoe only

Lateshow, there's a comparo of these bikes at:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes/...ID=57280&=7916

They seemed to like them all! I personally think the XJR looks the best.
steve345uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 01:05 AM   #195
steve345uk
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha XJR1300 and Suzuki GSX 1400 Eurpoe only

Oops try this instead:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes/

then search by makes and find the XJR1300SP, the group test can be found via the test header.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:10 AM   #196
steve345uk
Founding Member

Default Yup it bombed in Europe!!

Undoubtedly the failure or the X11 to sell in Europe was one of the reasons Honda tried again with 919, hoping that they can latch onto the decent sales the Hornet 600 generated (which has always been slight behind the excellent but ugly Fazer 600). The high insurance premiums on the X11 didn't help one bit!
Old 12-13-2001, 04:11 AM   #197
PeteZR7
Founding Member

Default Re: With You!

You're not alone, I feel the same way.
PeteZR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 06:41 AM   #198
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Where was the 919 two years ago?

I agree with you 100 percent. I also own a GSX-1100G (1991). While I like a lot of the new bikes I just don't see that they offer enough to bother investing all that cash for a new bike with little added real world performance. Especially when I never have to adjust a chain. Several trips between L.A. and Salt Lake have made me apppreciate the mighty "G".

It is sad that the new crop of supposed "power cruisers" still get out-performed by a 10 year old shaft drive "Air/Oil Buffalo" like the "G". For that matter my old modified '85 HD Sportster has little trouble keeping up with any of the latest boulevard wonderbikes. Does pretty well in the twisties also.

Different strokes, I guess.

Old 12-13-2001, 07:09 AM   #199
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Honda Hawk GT 998 or Suzuki SV1000 S

No, I think those bikes would sell more like free beer than hotcakes. I am completely baffled that they haven't made 'em yet. The only reason I can think of (for Suzuki) is the SV650 is doing great and they don't want (or need) to split the sales between 2 bikes.

Honda has just lost it not to get into the sport-standard v-twin market, but they have gotten too conservative lately to compete with the SV anyway, if it was a Honda it would have 50 HP and linked brakes .

Another possibility is that people who buy SV650's are looking for a lightweight sporty bike with good usable power (cheap doesn't hurt either) and people who buy open classers are looking for max HP, which pretty much means a 4 cylinder these days? Just a theory...
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 07:22 AM   #200
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: Tony, we were talking about the Katana 750

I believe either Katana is quicker than our SV650's, but the ergos from what I remember are more like the SV650S, more leaned than the regular SV.

Personally I'm not a fan of inline 4's though, I need a little character in my engines like a v-twin or v4 provides, and I'd buy an SV over a Katana just for that, and the fact that the SV has better *usable* power than about anything in its displacement range (torque down way low).
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote