Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-12-2001, 11:49 AM   #171
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default The difference is

two letters
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2001, 11:59 AM   #172
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default They don't have to look bad

For example, check out www.svrider.com. There are a lot of VERY non-stock bikes (fairings, altered seating, etc). Some of them are dogs, but a lot are extremely attractive. Sometimes you have to tinker with a bike to make it exactly what _you_ want, and IF you try hard enough, it WILL look good.

The comment about the price of customizing is much more relevant. An SV650S is only $500 more expensive than an SV650 naked--but if you tried to make an SV650S out of a naked SV650 (clip-ons, rearsets, altered gearing, painted quarter-fairing with dual headlamps from an aftermarket supplier) it would easily cost $1500 or more. I won't even mention how expensive it would be to make your own Valkyrie Interstate out of a naked Valkyrie.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:05 PM   #173
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default video clip found

check this video clip out...I hope the link works

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/conten...eo/01866044.rm

Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:07 PM   #174
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default The Superhawk

I don't see anything wrong with the fairing. I actually think that it's second only to the Aprilia Falco for best-looking fairing on the road. Eye of the beholder and all, but there's only so many "cat's eye" headlight setups that I see before I doze off.

If they wanted to make the Superhawk more appealing, they'd give it VFR ergonomics and INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE GAS TANK. 80 mile tank range? Puh-leeze. Who wants that? And those changes wouldn't raise the MSRP one dollar.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:08 PM   #175
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default zamboni...

Zamboni, I never slammed singles..I used to have an 79 Yamaha SR500. It was a hoot.

I was wondering why thumper was such a putz
Old 12-12-2001, 12:18 PM   #176
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default My ideal, realistic standard

*Would have an affordable price, so that I don't have to finance it (financing is economic idiocy if it can at all be avoided).

*Would have a smooth engine. I really hate vibration, even if it's supposed to give a bike "character."

*Would be completely naked, since I _like_ the wind rushing by me. If I wanted to be enclosed, I'd take a car--personal opinion only. I also like the look of a naked bike with a round chrome headlamp.

*Would place me nearly upright, with just a slight forward tilt to my spine (no racer crouch or even "sport-touring" seating, but no cruiser sitting-on-the-tailbone either)

*Would not have a seat height above 31.5"/800mm. I'm short.

*Would have plently of zip, but it doesn't have to be a tire-shredding, pavement-pounding musclebike. 50 or 60 hp is all I need.

*Would have a light weight--I'd rather have a light bike with moderate power than a heavy bike with massive power.

*Would have the suspension set up for STREET riding--GSXR forks make a bike handle better on smooth pavement at super-legal speeds, but having more give to the suspension makes it more comfortable for the rider and better for real-world surfaces and speeds.

Luckily, someone makes this bike already--the Suzuki SV650. Unless something goes drastically wrong this winter, I hope to trade in my Shadow 600 for a black SV this spring.
Old 12-12-2001, 12:26 PM   #177
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Ferrari

Actually, it was Cameron's dad with the Ferrari. In my opinion, the 1984 288GTO was the finest Ferrari ever. I am not much on the old ones myself.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 12:51 PM   #178
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked bikes?

Yes I am a "motorcyclist" and proud to be one. You know I can spend a couple of hours on my bike and it does more good than 2-3 sessions at a shrink. There is nothing like cruising in the back country (late fall) and finding the occational straight away. It almost makes all of lifes B.S. worth it.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:10 PM   #179
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default another convert to the SV Faithful

Student, you will love the SV. It truley is a fantastic machine that does alot very well. Most importanty it has a fun factor no bike in its class can match.

The time has come for me, and I assume many others, to graduate to something with a bit more zip!!

Depending on what the next machine is, I will most likely just keep the SV for a second bike. Its very cheap to ride and insure and that way I can invite other friends without bikes to go for a spin...maybe I can convert them to full-time bike ownership!!! If not, it will be fun to get on the SV now and again for a zip
Old 12-12-2001, 01:49 PM   #180
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

Your sad and really don't know much about motorcyclists who ride super standards. You are right, I can buy just about any bike I want and based on some 17 years of riding, I choose the ZRX. I wonder what you ride or do you?
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote