Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-12-2001, 10:15 AM   #161
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: OY! Such spoiled people...

All true, but remember it cost a lot more to do it yourself than have it done by the factory. Case in point, my comment about suspension. for me to buy a good shock, it will be maybe $600. For Honda to have included one would be maybe $200 onto the MSRP.

I agree with your point, but it is nice if the factory makes it easy and inexpensive for us. Another "for instance" is making some parts meet the same interface as supersports. Consider making the whole peg mounting hardware the same as the F4. then you could just bolt on F4 stuff if you want to racerize the ergos.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2001, 10:25 AM   #162
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Argh......

OK, I keep hearing about this mythical SV1000. Puhleese explain to me what the difference is between this mythical beast and a TL1000S.

Don't say ergos, because they aren't too hard to change.

Don't say rotary damper 'cause that is easy to change.

Don't say weight because liter twins are naturally heavier than 650 twins.

Don't say super friendly and forgiving, because 120hp is always more dangerous than 65 hp.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:30 AM   #163
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default What the Manufacturers consider when designing a new bike

Can we talk for a mintue about what the Manufacturers consider when designing a new bike??

We've all heard the term "Clean Sheet of Paper" when they come up with a completely original design. The Boost King from Suzuki comes to mind here. Yet when you consider it, the B-King draws from impressions of the ole V-Max. So is there ever really such a thing as a clean sheet design?? Its debatable for sure.

The fact of the matter is manufacturers have to and do consider what the competition is making in any given niche of the market. Take Suzuki for example: When they released the much anticipated GSXR1000, does anyone doubt that they benchmarked the R1, 929, ZX-9 ???? No, of course not. They looked at those bikes, decided to trump them all and then did it. With its release, it was simply the best open class sportbike. That translates into sales success, the very purpose of manufacturing!!!!!!!

One has to assume that Honda was aware of bikes like the Bandit1200, the Yamaha FZ-1, and the Kwacker ZRX1200. I believe that they decided to win on a single front, price. They do have a value leader in the cost department but missed a huge opportunity to bring out the best standard in the world.

Consider how this bike would have faired in this years crop of open class standards, instead of the 919 as it is.

Same frame

completely stock 954 motor

fully adjustable upsidedown forks

fully adjustable rear shock

four into one exhaust out the side

tastefully designed half-fairing (optional)

two color options (fill in the blanks)

priced at $9,999 (500 less than the 954)

Would you pay two grand more for this machine??? I would have already been to the dealership with a deposit (because no SV1000 S of Hawk Gt 998 is available).

If you agree, say so. If you think you could do it up better, tell us how.

For that matter, everyone chime in on what your ideal, "realistic" standard (because that's what were discussing on this thread) would consist of.
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:45 AM   #164
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default The fact of the matter

BBD, the fact of the matter is, there are significant differences in the riding position of the TL1000 S and the much beloved SV. True enough is the fact that new bars with risers can be fitted, albeit with some significant costs, including time, money . One significant problem is that the fairing has two metal supports that would interfere with the newly relocated bars.

I for one have resisted the desire to retrofit a TL1000 S into an SV1000 S for those reasons and for one even greater, that being resale. Having once converted such a machine, the resale value would be reduced greatly, by limiting the probable number of interested parties.

The other thing to consider is that the TL1000 S and the Honda Superhawk have never been stellar sales models. Some Honda dealers have new 99's 01's and will be getting even more 02's. I believe that those two bikes could enjoy greatly enhanced sales with some simple upgrades to ergos (and bodywork for the S/Hawk). The relatively simple upgrades would also cost the manufacturers very little. Simply more sales for very little money. That's what any manufacturer would want.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:49 AM   #165
fleshharrower
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

If you put clip-ons on this bike then you definitely got the wrong bike. Looking at the fork tubes in the picture, the clip-ons would be under the triple clamp! Going from comfortable to damned-short-ride-only painful in one step.

As for the rest of the package, I love naked bikes, but this one is ugly. I currently have a Buell X1 and a Ducati M900ie both of which look good naked...probably has to do with no radiator and no over-abundance of exhaust tubes running off the front of the engine (both are v-twins).

As for performance, I'll spank the 919 in the twisties with either bike and certain to spank the 919 in a straight-line with the Buell.

Realiability, yep, Honda wins everytime. Passion, the 919 is crap. Now give me a 919 and say $2k and I'll turn it into a more respectable looking/performing bike. Acerbis front fairing with the little lights, TBR aluminum cans, a nice rear shock, PCII, heli-bars etc...

fleshharrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:02 AM   #166
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Most homemade bikes look like Sh*$

Gabe!!!!If I wanted a hermaphrodite of a conjectured piece of crap, I'd call you. We all do a little here and there to make the bikes our own. Many prefer to ride bikes that are very close to stock, save for a new pipe, or seat etc. Many of us remember how silly you looked on your hunk of poo with a giant windjammer on the front and milk carton on the back.

The point you seem to miss, is that this is a forum for free discussion of motorcycles. The manufacturers do read these pages. The fact that we want them to know how we feel should be obvious to anyone, with even the slightest intellegence.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:12 AM   #167
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default You seem to have forgotten what you wrote above??

BBD, what gives??? In the above text you say you would like Honda to bring out a new hawk with a bigger motor. Now you've got your panties in a bunch about a much desirable SV1000 S. You are a study in incongruity.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:21 AM   #168
zamboni
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked bikes?

"you have to be happy and totally in love"

ABSOLUTELY! I wish there were more of that attitude around here.

I get turned off to this place sometimes. Too many guys with their heads stuck so far up the tailpipe of their sportbike or Harley that they can't see what's important: riding and loving it.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:44 AM   #169
zamboni
Founding Member

Default Re: thumper are you riding a single??? as your name suggests

Chill out, man. It's just a discussion.

The funnest bike I've ever ridden around town was a DR250.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 11:46 AM   #170
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default going soft

C'mon, we all know narrow focus sportbikes are mostly used for recreation. Sure, plenty of us have no problem using a narrow focus sportbike for touring and transportation, but we all know most do not, and a narrow focus sport bike isn't as good at it. The current naked bike style is a much more versatile bike, much better suited to riding through the city, jamming traffic, riding long distance, handling gravel and dirt roads, riding in snow, and of course hooliganism. Is this really more "soft" than fair weather weekend recreation in the twisties? I'm forced to scoff in this writer's general direction. I'd buy the narrow focus sportbike myself, but only to get the best hardware and most power to make a streetfighter out of. It'd get stripped, and it would get a real handlebar among other things. And while tuning the motor for more overall power, I would certainly be looking to pick up any extra low and midrange I could. If I didn't prefer to modify my bikes, I'd buy a naked bike, and I guess if I didn't even feel like changing a muffler and rejetting, I'd probably even buy this Honda instead of the bandit 12.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote