Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-12-2001, 06:23 AM   #141
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Yamaha FZ1 not retuned

actually from reading about the FZ1, I seem to remember the only changes to the R1 motor was carb size. That's why the bike has such a huge top end, and why the Kwacker 1200 kicked its ass in comparos because it had more usable torque. But new carbs and a pipe and Voila!!!!
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2001, 06:36 AM   #142
worn_patella
Founding Member

Default Re: Where does this come from?

It's worse when that same rock hits you in the knee - your hip and the opposite side of your back enjoy the same pleasure simultaneously.
worn_patella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:37 AM   #143
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Keep it up

Thanks! I realize I'm posting a lot at the moment, but with snow on the ground outside, there's not much else to do motorcycle-related.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:49 AM   #144
jim111
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda 919

Lateshow, you've been staying up to late! You better wait till the bike comes out in Sukist Candy Yellow and then it will be just right for you.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:49 AM   #145
Leonard
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

Congratulations to Honda for coming aboard the new hyper standard campaign.

Honda has priced it right, between the Bandits and the FZ1. I would have expected that Honda has the capacity to produce the same machine with a half fairing along the lines of the Bandit 1200S and the FZ1. The naked version and the semi faired model should be sold along side of each other to access both portions of the market that is waiting for an alternative to pure sport and cruiser, does not want the heavyweight ST nor the enveloped in plastic XX or VFR Interceptor.

The smooth cast engine with its cascading exhaust headers is a beauty. Honda did a better job of integrating the radiator. Very creative exhaust system layout. Looks great from the rear. Will those canisters allow soft bags? With a semi fairing and soft bags, this bike would be a winner as a very sport, sport touring machine. Perhaps with the semi fairing addition, Honda could fix the rear shock. Works Performance is happy to read about that failure.

The 6 speed and light weight but it ahead of the Bandit, even with the FZ1 except for the suspension failure and lack of semi fairing. Honda got the look right, the engine with fuel injection right and the bonus of light weight. Could use another 0.8 gallon of fuel. Perhaps an Eclipse street windshield would be enough. Too bad my garage is full, including an '01 Bandit 1200S, so ideal for me as a sport touring steed.
Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:49 AM   #146
jim111
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda 919

Lateshow, you've been staying up too late! You better wait till the bike comes out in Sunkist Candy Yellow and then it will be just right for you.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:09 AM   #147
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default RC51

I would LOVE to ride that motor in a new standard frame...like say the 919!!!! what the hell were they thinking stuffing that old motor in there?????

Honda's new standard should have been called the Hawk Gt 998 and have the RC51 motor in lock stock and a single smokin barrel out the side, just like the Superbike!!!! Oh what a seller it would be
Old 12-12-2001, 08:14 AM   #148
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default snow on the ground

student, right there with you...got five new inches last night and have to go shovel now...

I rode last Sat. for 25 min. as the sunshine could only muster 29 degrees. I treat my gas for the winter but look for one or two days a month to ride it a little to keep the bike "ready to ride" all winter long. April can't come too soon!!!!
Old 12-12-2001, 08:23 AM   #149
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default I see ya Big Fella!

I like the pipes (really), but I'm 100% behind you on the whole color scheme. Any monkey could copy a 5 year old Ducati trend, so why not reach into your own past and bring back those classy metal flakes from the '66-'75 era?

Let's not blame the originator of the thought, his (or her) job is throw out ideas and see what sticks, nay it's the whole damn marketing food chain that said "Yeah, that grey looks smokin". Who's working over there at American Honda?

P.S. - black wheels, at least 3 spokers, are O-U-T out baby!
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 08:33 AM   #150
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Re: Chopping the HP...typical

The worst ever example of re-tuning the motor was the beautiful but painfully slow CB1000...I should know I had one for a year (see above story for more).

The only acceptable re-tune is from say a high performance motor similar to the one found in the Hayabusa, being re-tuned for "more" torque and better reliability for use in a SportTourer. In that senario, you do need more torque down even lower to move you, your , and your gear. You are willing to sacrifice a "little" top end for that. Just don't cut off both nuts!!!!!

Re-tuning a sportbike motor for use in a standard is Unacceptable (so is stuffing an old motor in there when you have a new motor ready and waiting). Read 954 instead of old 919 motor

I saw a video clip on MCN, of a GSXR1000 without the front bodywork, MX bars on risers, new light with funky small head-light-fairing (like the KTM Duke's) doing burn outs, stoppies and wheelies. I believe the proper name for such a machine is "streetfighter". Sounds good to me, that's what a standard should be (oh yah give me a softer seat too!!)