Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-11-2001, 08:13 PM   #111
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

Yes, of course you are right, my last bike was a Raptor and it weighed all of 2 kg (4.5 lb) less than my Hornet 900. It did handle, but on anything other than smooth roads the rock hard Italian suspension jarred my teeth and often forced me to back off. The combination of overfirm suspension and slightly jerky EFI at low revs in low gears made for a much more difficult bike to ride in town and/or in heavy traffic. It was extremely charismatic and, if roads were always deserted and relatively smooth I'd have the Raptor any time. However, in the real world you can often go faster on a more softly sprung bike and certainly on one with extremely well sorted EFI. My husband has a GSX1400 (with EFI adapted from the GSXR100 and supposedly about as good as it gets) and a VFR800 but he says that the EFI on the Hornet is definitely the best he's used, even though my Hornet is still new and tight.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2001, 08:13 PM   #112
thumperace
Founding Member

These UJM crap bike reviews really bring out the long-winded types. This bike has two target markets in the US:

1. Young guys with no money that look at it and then decide to buy a used sport bike.

2. Responsible guys with plenty of money but plenty of mortgage and minivan, no spare money. Typically they already have a worthless bandit, hornet, ZRX, *hawk, FZ1, buell, etc... that they can't sell for three beans and works just as good or better than this thing.

In other words it has no market in the usa. Expect to see them heavily discounted just like the FZ1s.
thumperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 08:21 PM   #113
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: Chopping the HP...typical

If you go back to the dyno curves for Best of the Best Part I (199 you will see that the curve was anything but flat.

Of course the emission and noise regulations Honda are now working to comply with are also probably considerably stricter than when the CBR900RR was built.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:43 AM   #114
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Keep it up

Hey, starvingstudent, it seems you like to post. Good for you. Unlike some you put some objective thought into your comments and it's not 'my way or the highway'. Keep it up.

Bully for diversity!
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 01:54 AM   #115
Hades
Founding Member

Default Ahahahaha

So, tell me, what kind of a problem do you have with your di**? Do you need to be the fastest on highways? Is your everyday store at the end of a NHRA track??

Did you ever try one of those sissy-naked bikes? You'll be amazed how fast you can be on them, and especially, how fast you'll be cornering!
I've tried the 600 Hornet last summer, doing a day in the mountain roads around here. And believe-me, if you're not fast on a naked, you'll never be fast!

Hades[hLcYb¿]
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 03:08 AM   #116
WickedPainful
Founding Member

Bikes with fuel injection start alot easier. Just push the starter, and you are in business. You no longer have to fuss with the choke on those cold winter mornings.
WickedPainful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 03:55 AM   #117
NavyBueller
Founding Member

Default Re: Super Standard Shootout?

How dare you make comments about minime's lady like that?
NavyBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:11 AM   #118
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Then how about these?

Don't count out the dual sports like the V-Strom. They corner like nobody's business, especially in the real world where there might be gravel or a new pot hole just around that corner. Those bikes have fantastic cornering clearance.

As soon as you write them off, some old guy on a R1100GS will spank you silly on a back road. The only reason dual sports aren't winning WSB races is that they're a bit uncomfortable over 110 mph.

If you think about it, supersports and superbikes have a lot of design concessions for high speed racing that contribute precisely nothing to street riding. What am I talking about? Narrow handlebars (to tuck in for top speed), heavy exhaust components (so you can make 150hp and still meet noise requirements) etc.

None of that stuff makes you fast in the corners.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:16 AM   #119
Alan
Founding Member

Default Re: Parade of standards

It's not a standard, but my RC51 is a blast to ride;

the motor is torquey, and easy to ride fast. And I don't think

it's too much money for what you get. IMHO.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 04:26 AM   #120
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Tony, we were talking about the Katana 750

Tony, we were talking about the Katana 750...atleast the Katana 1100 had a motor and consequently a nice toque hit. I'm sure that made all the difference.

However the New katana 750 and 600 are in my opinion bland, boring, uninspiring, albeit comfortable capable bikes for beginners or for those with low expectations in the performance realms. Hopefully there's a new bike in your future...there are so many better choices now and hopefully there will be even more next year
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote