Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-11-2001, 04:05 PM   #101
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

And the handling still will need fixing to be competent... you get fully adjustable handling front and rear on the FZ-1.

And two color choices. Both shiny.

And a fairing... I know some people don't view that as a bonus, but I do.

I'm basically a Honda fan, but this offering seems weak, given the competition. The B12 and FZ-1 offer better looks, handling and amenities, and the ZRX12 isn't pretty, but it looks cool as hell - 'course that's nostalgia.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2001, 04:07 PM   #102
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I sat one three different ones. The stock one's bars seemed a bit high, but the one with the lowering clamp seemed just right.

Never noticed the tank. Everything seemed to fit me just fine.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:11 PM   #103
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: Regarding performance numbers...

Do you really keep your bike between 8k and 10k all day. Most riders I know may run it up a couple times a day but mostly run between 3k and 7k. I ride a lot and expect to get high milage out of my bike. I guess that is why I like big boar bikes like the bandit 1200 they make good power were I ride them most of the day. It's cool to feel the top end rush of a sport bike but I learned that on most trips I spend very little time there.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 04:35 PM   #104
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: Then how about these?

Other then it's been around forever what is wrong with the Katana. Back in 1990 when I bought my Katana 1100, I had dreamed about owning a Katana. I put 47k miles on the bike and loved every mile. I work on quite a few friends bikes and they let me ride them from time to time. I've owned several different bikes since selling the katana but it still brings back great memories. Did a lot of 500+ mile days on the bike and on other days had fun in the curves. It wasn't until I rode a friends b12 that I found a bike that actually improved on the versitility and fun factor of the katana 1100.

I was excited hearing about the Honda until I seen were they put the exhaust. I've always like the fit and finish of the Honda bikes but lately they've missed the mark on an all around bike with decent power. I vote for a hawk with the vtr1000 motor or an sv1000s.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:47 PM   #105
tony
Founding Member

Default Re: Chopping the HP...typical

First I agree just leave the motors alone. I beleave the thought process was to lower the torque range not actually increase it buy much. I wonder if they could of done that with the fuel injection and left the high end rush. I own a b12 and it is basically a detuned katana 1100 that I once owned. Below 7k the bandit is a small amount better then the katana was but I sure do miss the high end surge the old katana had. Maybe they are marketing to middle age riders who they think can't handle real power anymore. Thats ok were they stuck the pipes eliminated the 919 from being my next bike.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:13 PM   #106
drandall
Founding Member

Colors:

Honda Canada is calling this the 900 Hornet, just like everywhere else in the world, so nice shiny different color paint is available.

I think the 919 marketing crap is, well, crap (sometimes my elequence knows no ends).
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 06:23 PM   #107
drandall
Founding Member

To me the FZ1 only needs lower bars. The tank that cuts me is the pre '02 Triumph Daytona.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 06:27 PM   #108
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: One other bike you should check out...

I have a TL1000S with Heli bars. While it is not ideal, fortunately I have long arms The TL engine is such a gem, it is worth some discomfort. Soulful sound (with slip ons) and hammer tough Japanese durability. It is my Italian experience on a Budweiser budget.

Keep the engine in TLS trim (no DL detuning with smaller valves, less aggressive cams) and build that SV standard. What are they thinking with the DL? Maybe it will go in Europe, but the US is screaming for an SV1000.

The main comfort problem with the TL series is the long gas tank. I notice my buddy's RC51 and R1 have much shorter tanks, which make the bars less of a reach. Shorter tank on that SV please.

Oh well. My TL is paid for and some good mods have already been made. I also keep my rides for 10 years, so I guess I am commited. When I am too old and tired to reach over that far any more I will toss the TL fairing, drill the triple clamp, and mount some tube bars to it and keep riding. Should help with the wheelies too :P
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 06:30 PM   #109
DeathCannon
Founding Member

Default Re: Where was the 919 two years ago?

I love naked bikes and sportbikes alike, have owned a CBR929RR, and currently own a GSX-1100G, and this is what I have to say: I have long waited for a KICK-ASS naked bike, but they DON'T EXIST! They don't make them right! Here's the score:

1. The idea of naked is light and minimalist. To handle better and have good power-to-weight ratio. So far, all the Jap naked bikes weigh more and have detuned engines. As if! They must think they are marketing to a duller dumber crowd with the naked bikes, when in fact, some of the most with-it bikers are the ones who want them.

2. The detuned engines are an insult, and there's no reason for them. My old '92 GSX-1100G has a better power and torque curve than the new Honda. Not to say it would beat it, because it weighs a lot more... but this is getting on 10 years later. In 10 years look at the evolution in sportbikes, meanwhile, not much at all comes in the area of naked bikes.

3. Crappy cheap shocks and crappy cheap chassis, detuned engine... why don't you just go home? Someone has no idea what a naked bike is all about, and when they get it right, I'll be there to buy it.

The only one who has come close to the right idea for a naked bike is Aprilia with their Blue Marlin, which is ~lighter~ than the Mille RSV (Hello? Paying attention, Japan?) with the same engine as the Mille, NOT a detuned engine. That's right. That's what it's supposed to be. They got it right. If it weren't for the funky style I would get it in a heartbeat.

That is not just my 2 bits, but that is what EVERYONE I know who is into motorcycles and naked bikes -- they all say it. So someone, wake up!

`~Death Cannon~`
DeathCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 07:34 PM   #110
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Naked bikes?

The Speed Triple is a GREAT bike, but then again you have to like the looks, the sound and the way the power is delivered. Me? I love it (I own one) but it's just not everyone's cup of tea... thank God for that too because I like my bikes to be different than everyone else's.

The thing is, as I've learned, that no bike is perfect for everybody (see I just discovered the wheel!) and whatever you are buying and RIDING, you have to be happy and totally in love with. For some it is the Jap reliability and price, for some the mystique of an Italian, the pride of ownership of a Harley or something else, whatever floats your very own particular boat.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote