Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-11-2001, 02:20 PM   #91
markszrz
Founding Member

Default Re: First Ride: Honda 919

Your right! I had one for 3 years, added a Rifle Fairing and the thing did everything well. I just wish it had more guts. Sounds like it does now!
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2001, 02:55 PM   #92
jim111
Founding Member

I have the 919 on order. This kind of bike used to be called a standard, but that name fell out of use. I just think it's what a motorcycle should be. Sure it's similar to a Nighthawk, but the Nighthawk is one of the great bikes of the past 30 years. Honda just never upgraded it and now the 919 is a terrific upgrade.

People now have a modern bike that is an alternative to all those crusers. I think it will be a great bike and a big seller.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:00 PM   #93
jim111
Founding Member

Honda will offer a windscreen and I'm sure all the major windshield companies will be making them. I know Targa will offer a screen and hopefully their quarter fairing.

I think the matt black will grow on you and be distinctive
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:33 PM   #94
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Yamaha XJR1300 and Suzuki GSX 1400 Eurpoe only

Yamaha XJR1300 and Suzuki GSX 1400 are available in Eurpoe only. That's to bad, I think if these bikes can compete with the mighty ZRX1200 Kwacker, they would sell well here.

Both of these bikes are absolutely beautiful, much more pleasing to the eye than the Kwacker. I'd sure like to see a comparo of these bikes. I know from all the reading I do that the Kwaker is one awesome bike. I for one am glad to see the very existence of these giant stonkin standards.

However, if the choice were between a Suzuki Boost King and the GSX 1400...I'd have to ride the Boost King. Undoubtedly the bike would come normally aspirated and without all the super advanced electronics, but oh what a looker the B-King is. It must absolutely frost Yamaha who has been delaying the updating of the antique V-Max. The new V-Max, if there is one, will have a harder road to ride to out-do the design of the B-King.

Hello...Suzuki...are you listening???? Make the B-King...the SV1000 S...and a Bandit1000(with the GSXR1000 motor...[don't touchit]) with a new half fairing.

All those in favor of these bikes say Aye!!!!!!
Lateshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 03:35 PM   #95
metal
Founding Member

Default Re: Regarding performance numbers...

That couldn't be farther from the truth. Without rpm, torque means nothing. If an engine is producing very little pull (torque) but is capable of spinning at a very high rate (rpm), the resulting force from the rear wheel will be the same as if it was making twice the torque at half the rpm. When engineers are trying to give a motorcycle more smoothness, which Honda does very well, they look for a totally flat torque line. This way as the motor revs ever higher, its output (power) rises linearly and predictably. A lot of people confuse torque with low end power and peaky power with good acceleration. A motorcycle doesn't need to have that high end punch to be fast, it just makes it seem fast because it's going from little power to a lot of power quickly. That's why magazines often say one bike or another feels boring even though the lap times show it's just as quick as the others. It also doesn't matter if a motorcycle has a lot of maximum power if the power band is narrow and unusable.

Applied to your example of ZRX 1200, the numbers you present are still relevant because they're broken down by rpm and therefore ZRX's advantage at any given rpm translates directly into horsepower advantage. However, realize that ZRX is utilizing 1200 cc's. Also realize that if one were concerned merely with performance, any rider of reasonable skill would try to keep each bike in its preferred power band. That said, if a 919 rider kept his/her bike between 8,000 and 10,000 rpm, while the ZRX rider stayed between 7,000 and 10,000 rpm, their power outputs would be very similar. Of course all this is moot because, like many people noted, these bikes are not owned just for performance reasons. They're owned for a combination of usability, reliability, simplicity, and performance reasons, and as such any one would make a fine choice. Besides, most squids on the latest and the greatest of machinery don't know how to get maximum performance out of it or are too afraid to. I'll never forget passing on a straight road some idiot on a late model GSXR750 while I was on my '95 F3.

I do agree however about the suspension aspect of it. My friend's 2001 Harley FXDX has fully adjustable front end stock.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 04:15 PM   #96
smithsonmi
Founding Member

Default Chopping the HP...typical

I hate the theories and concepts these marketing weenies have regarding beefing up the midrange and losing top end. In this case they have lost a minimum of 10 hp and gained maybe 2 ftlbs to be optimistic. The torque curve has always been flat, so there seems to be no improvement there.

Why spend the money and mess with the mill if you could just throw in the previous 919 and just develop the fuel injection?

Stupid weenies.

smithsonmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 04:43 PM   #97
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default Re: One other bike you should check out...

student, the Kwacker ZZR1200 is an interesting machine for sure. I'll be waiting patiently for reviews and comparos on that one. The SV1000S that we've been discussing here would still be light, flickable and pull stonkin stand-up wheelies. The Kwaker would be more desiable to me if I went on long weekend rides and massive cross-country road trips. As it is my typical ride is two to three hours, consisting of canyons, sweepers, mountain passes, first and second gear turns around a lake etc. I rairly ride my bike in-town. There's just too much danger with all the cars and trucks who never even try to see bikers. I'm a pleasure rider, and as such, I will keep dreaming of an SV1000. Baring that or a Bandit1000 (with stock GSXR1000 motor)...I'll probably be riding an Interceptor. That seems kind of strange to say that I'd have to settle for my third choice bike, when its such an exotic machine (for a Honda)!!!!

Thanks for the ideas and input...with all the snow on the ground right now, its all I can do to maintain.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:53 PM   #98
Lateshow
Founding Member

Default You Europeans are are alike.....

Lynz...forgive us in the states for hating you lucky bastards in Europe for having more bike choices...Suzuki gave us the short end of the stick when they sold the TL motor to Cagiva for the raptors but wouldn't let them sell it here in the U.S.. add that to the fact that they have yet to release the SV1000S that is clearly missing from the lineup. ARGGGGGGG!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2001, 04:56 PM   #99
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I disagree...

I believe that Yamaha committed a crime by "re-tuning" the R1 engine for the FZ-1. What would've been wrong with leaving the engine EXACTLY THE WAY IT WAS FOR ONCE without emasculating it? It still would've had all the differences that set it apart from the R1: More comfortable upright seating position. Less plastic. More stability. Pegs and bars that don't require regular visits to the chiropractor/massage therapist/acupressurist/whathaveyou.

And it still would have been a damned good looking and functional bike.
Old 12-11-2001, 04:58 PM   #100
CBR1000F
Founding Member

I don't. I saw the bike at the M/C show in San Mateo, and it just looked like a rattle-can paintjob to me.