Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-20-2001, 03:04 PM   #71
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

Drysdale (australian?) made a 750cc V-8 4 or 5 years ago, but i think their funding dried up.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2001, 03:22 PM   #72
bimota
Founding Member

Default True but...

The frame should be stronger than a traditional gas tank; but I've had friends that ground through NRC covers on their high speed wrecks. It's a legitimate concern, especially since even a pin hole could ruin the frame.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 03:30 PM   #73
CBR1000F
Founding Member

He also said, in the sentences immediately following the one you chose to pick on:

"Maybe they have achieved both with this bike. It'll be interesting to see. And see I will. For now, I plan on remaining a spectator of the Buell scene rather than an active participant. "

Which you ignored.

And how do you know? Maybe Buell's reliability demons are out of shape!
Old 11-20-2001, 03:55 PM   #74
Rayvan3
Founding Member

Default Re: Why we should care...

nweaver writes:

>

I think the engine is cool! You don't gotta pull cams to adjust valves (or adjust valves at all!!!!) or sync throttle bodies, or change coolant or hoses!!! I think until Japan/Europe starts making engines that owners can actually maintain by themselves without wasting a whole weekend of riding, their bikes will suck, and suck hard...

I'd gladly give up a few ponies to gain some ease of maintenace!

Rayvan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 04:00 PM   #75
wsmc888
Founding Member

I'd agree it takes courage....about as much as it does to sell a Plymouth Prowler for being unique at $7000 over sticker...

Unique means nothing if it does nothing to add value in my opinion. Someone compared the new Buell to a Triumph Daytona...the halmark of cool uniqueness. The Triumph has awesome brakes, the Buell does not, but they are unique; the Triumpg has a rigid unique frame, the Buell frame isn't unique unless bulky and plain is ok as long as it contains gas; the Triumph has a single side swingarm and maybe not "unique" it's interesting and effective without having some low value design incorporating the oil reservoire.....I could give credit to the Buell if the so called uniqueness added performance, improved looks or low cast...sadly, it fails at all points to be unique in these categoies.
wsmc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 04:23 PM   #76
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

I really like this bike. If it had standard 'good looks' it wouldn't be half as good. A large part of being Buell is being different. It'll never keep up with a GSXR1000 but that's not the point. It's to go up against Monsters with windshields, 900ss, and all those other not superfast but DIFFERENT and strangely beautiful (?) bikes.

Just my two bits...

Gix
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 05:19 PM   #77
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Now your talking sense....

I'd actually like to see them build it with a 90 degree watercooled DOHC 16V V-4... right at 1000cc's... something like a V-Max engine, or like a V-65 Magna engine. It'd still be a little different from other sportbikes (and DON'T include the VFR, it's not a sportbike), but it'd have the potential to make competitive power. Heck, they could probably fit one into the frame without much in the way of modifications. Dont'cha think that'd be fun?
Old 11-20-2001, 06:25 PM   #78
ttcaml
Founding Member

I want one! Horsepower is not everything. A bike with excellent handling is a lot of fun to ride, and Buells are just cool!
ttcaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:17 PM   #79
x1lightening
Founding Member

Default Re: True but...

correct me if I'm wrong, but frame sliders only run about $40? I personally buy them in case of some freak situation where the bike ends up on its side anyway.
x1lightening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:39 PM   #80
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Check out this MotoGP Drysdale

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/19nov...dale988cc.html

Awsome. I wish Buell would be more like this
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote