Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/943-buell-xb9r-firebolt-reader-feedback.html)

elitegroup 11-20-2001 10:48 AM

Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

Anyway to low side slide test crash that piece of crap at about 70mph? I want to see if that fuel tank grinds or puctures itself into a flaming firebolt leak! I also want to know what a simple crash cost to repair on that bike with the frame basically unrepairable I would think you'd have to buy a new one. Now for the swing arm I see that being a problem for the same reason.

Yamaha dared to be different in 1985 with there 250cc Tri-Z 3 wheeler. It had an under seat mounted fuel tank the air box up top and nothing but problems. It was never able to compete with the honda ATC 250r , I should know I owned that TRI-Z piece of crap!

Point is different sometimes isn't better. Buell went the wrong direction with this design and I foresee problems and an exceptionally high repair cost for a simple mishap.

But if you have money to BURN HA HA HA I said BURN then buy yourself that FIREBOLT!!!!!

starvingstudent 11-20-2001 10:54 AM

If you think about it, the wall of the frame is a lot stronger than the wall of a traditional gas tank. Fiery explosions should thus be LESS common with the Firebolt, not MORE.

As for fuel in different places, LOTS of bikes don't put the fuel on top of the engine: VMAX, Goldwing, Virago 535, F650, and so on. Maybe the Tri-Z had problems, but it can't be blamed solely on an under-the-seat gas tank.

12er 11-20-2001 11:12 AM

Re: I sat on one at the CA moto show

I hear you on Build quality. Its harder and harder to be proud of our products. My 93' ford truck was a perfect example. Warranted to 36,000 miles, 36.1 problems, 300 miles later problems, 200 miles later more problems and the list went on and on. Finally at 55,000 miles I traded it in and went Japanise with no problems.

seruzawa 11-20-2001 11:15 AM

Don't waste your breath. Every one of these H-D related threads bring out the same old clowns with the same old insults. The funniest thing about their attitudes is that they actually believe that the Japanese are innovative. The Japanese are noted technology thieves and routinely hire Americans and Europeans to do their research, developement and aesthetics. Japanese industry is noted worldwide for its inability to create new ideas. I guess only a handful of squids here in the US haven't gotten the word yet.

Buell has done pretty well for itself, considering the amount of cash they have to invest. Not every company can afford to risk millions and millions of bucks it takes to introduce new models.

I seldom see many complaints about how much Ducati charges for its bikes with their poor reliability reputation. Of course, it's easy to criticize from an armchair, isn't it?

Grover 11-20-2001 12:14 PM

Re: From http://209.58.136.120/rcls/nhtsa/99/99v106.htm

Dude, didn't you see fight club? Cost of recall vs. Cost of killing people decides if a recall goes out. It was in the movie so it's gotta be true.

Grover 11-20-2001 12:29 PM

Re: I sat on one at the CA moto show

I sat on one during the HOG rally in Milwaukee and chatted with some of the guys in the Buell tent, they weren't engineers unfortunately, just some cheeze ball marketing dorks who didn't know crap about the bike, except that it still had a bunch of prototype parts on it, I'll bet the one you sat on was the same way.

Wait until they show up in the dealers and all the parts are coming off of the production tools before talking about build quality.

zamboni 11-20-2001 12:59 PM

Different strokes for different folks...

I like it.

KPaulCook 11-20-2001 01:37 PM

Hooray for something different and American butÂ…..

I love the looks and the concept but.. there is the reliability and fit and finish things. In July of this year, I bought my first bike a 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R. I really wanted to buy a Buell, but every web site that had owner reviews had negative reviews for Buells: poor reliability, poor fit and finish, bad dealers, over priced repairs, etc. So I went with the most comfortable 600 sport bike I could get. I love my Ninja and it now has 3000 miles with absolutely no problems. Perhaps if Harley backs the Buell with a great warranty like 3 years I might go for it.

The air cooled ancient powerplant bugs me a little. But the concept of a real world sport bike is good thing. Race bike sport replica like the Suzuki GSX-600 or Yamaha R-6 are great for the first 10 miles of fun, after that the riding position takes its toll. So I think Buell is right about the concept but may have the wrong motor.

opie366 11-20-2001 01:55 PM

I cannot agree more. Why he continues to stick with that engine type (pushrod namely) is beyond me. If Ford were still building trucks with flathead engines do you really think anyone would want one (irregardless of the torque they made).

A turbo single. A high revving V-twin (overhead cam please). A turbo high revving V-twin!

I just read of someone (Australia) producing a GP 500 motor in a V-8 configuration. It is supposed to rev above 20,000 RPM's. Erik builds a snazzy chassis, cool brake setup, and a step beyond the norm fuel/oil tanks. Then gives us a double Blast! motor. Yeah, its hotted up, but I'm not buying this noise that its all new.

There is better technology out there. At the very least if you are going to used warmed over technology at least cut us a price break!

john 11-20-2001 01:56 PM

seruzawa......i think you are just another jingoistic fool.

"Japanese industry is noted worldwide for its inability to create new ideas. "

I would rather buy a bike that is the end product of a gathering of the best ideas than a bike that is the product of making due with what is available, which is what Buell is doing.

"The Japanese are noted technology thieves and routinely hire Americans and Europeans to do their research, developement and aesthetics. "

Another stupid remark. Of course they have to, to be competitive. How the hell would they know what Americans want if they don't work closely with American Research and Marketing sources who have already done much research on what Americans want. Really, what do YOU propose they do? Take 50cc scooters that meet the needs of urban Tokyo and start shipping them to Kansas??? LET'S TALK V-ROD

"Not every company can afford to risk millions and millions of bucks it takes to introduce new models. "

So I guess you weren't one of the people bragging about Harley's wonderful success and the fact that they had the largest profit of any motorcycle company in the US 2 years ago? It seems like if any company had millions to spend on research and development it WOULD be Harley.

And before you start knocking Ducati, why don't you see how much they make when compared to harley. I would imagine that both production numbers and profits are 10-15% of Harleys. Face it, developing the 916 broke the bank for Ducati and QC went to crap for them. The difference is that while Harley traditionally lacks performance AND quality, Ducati was lacking only quality. Now, both companies have the funds to improve quality, but Harley STILL lacks performance.

IMO, looking at shareholder's information, Harley definitely has the funds to create a world class sportbike, but arrogance and a whooped-puppy, please dont hurt me, i took my ball and went home cuz the japanese are scary, attitude prevents them from it, and that, i think, is downright embarassing.

Harley values are not American. American values is what made Ford build the GT-40. Its the dadgumit we can do it better than you no matter what the challenge is. harley don't got it. they are sackless twits running the company. willie g and his stupid beret are proff.