Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-20-2001, 07:54 AM   #51
Rafi
Registered Member

Default I sat on one at the CA moto show

I recently sat on an XB9R at the motorcycle show in San Mateo CA, and it was pretty comfortable, but I was sort of surprised to see how crappy the finish quality was in some areas, namely the frame, which is painted, but looks like the paint ran in several places, which is not up to the high standards that Japanese bikes (and others) adhere to. Also, the plastic airbox cover ("fuel tank") had rough edges, despite the cool raised graphics. Small details here and there, but it just made me think less of the bike, even though I really wanted one initially. In my opinion, the bike is a perfect example of American build quality vs. EVERYONE ELSE. Man, I love this country, but do we have to build stuff *this* poorly? One of the reasons I will never buy an American car. Except a '60's muscle car, of course....And that's the niche that Harley fills with their cruiser bikes. Sort of new-retro style. But I don't think anyone will pretend that a Harley is really a modern motorcycle. It has its own appeal, in a crude, low-tech way.

Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2001, 07:59 AM   #52
bimota
Founding Member

Default Times?

I'll admit that at first glance this bike appears to be down on horsepower and torque both for the money and for its displacement. But I'll reserve judgement till I see some 1/4 mile times, 0-60 times, top speed, etc. Any idea what those are or when they might be available?
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:19 AM   #53
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Now your talking sense....

Yours is the most intelligent post I've read yet. I test rode all the Buell's at the Honda Hoot this Summer, and I came to the same exact conclusion, except that I would add that the shifting mechanism is crap also. But except for the Idle problem and the shifting, the bikes are a lot of FUN to ride. Oh how I wish Buell would come up with a "cutting edge", 90 degree water cooled V-twin for their Firebolt. I also want to be proud of our American motorcycles. By the way I just bought a SV650S. Yee-haw.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:24 AM   #54
RGV_Muz
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

Yeah well, I didn't say it'd be cheap. Who'd buy it? Who buys MV Agusta F4's / Brutale's? Who coughs up for Bimotas (or used to)? Who forks out for R1's and then drops a turbo on it? 996SPR's aren't cheap either...you get the idea. There are plenty of people around that'd spend mega-bucks to get the right toy. Britten came very, very, very close to actually getting road bikes built based on their motors and designs - an Aussie group that owns the rights to the Indian marque had actually designed them with Britten and released sketches. One was a direct road going copy of the VR1000 superbike - I think you yanks were impressed when it anniliated 916's / 955's on about 1/2 - 2/3 throttle @ Daytona - think I'm exagerating on the throttle claim too....watch the Britten video - the rider wouldn't dare use more for fear of flipping the thing....now that's a bike!!! Oh yeah and the only on the fly, fully programmable engine management system makes it rather horny too. Yeah I am a Kiwi and I'm biased, but there hasn't been another bike like it yet, except the blatant styling copies that have surfaced since from various companies. Until then I'll ride the arse off 2 strokes and love every minute of it.
RGV_Muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:31 AM   #55
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: I sat on one at the CA moto show

Rafi,

How'd you sit on it? I was at the show in San Mateo, and the only one I saw was up on a pedestal. Did I miss one?
Old 11-20-2001, 08:33 AM   #56
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Why we should care...

Why do I care that the Firebolt still uses horribly out of date engine technologies?

Because the chassis engineering is very solid, the styling is "interesting", belt drive is a nice convenience, but the engines are, frankly, crap. If they had engines to match the rest of the engineering, they would be great.

Imagine a Blast with an EX500 engine? The thing would rock. Or imagine a Firebolt with an RC51 engine? Or an SV650 equivelent Buell? If Buells had good engines in them, I would strongly consider buying one.

But until they get a GOOD engine in the thing (liquid cooling, overhead cam, low intrinsic vibration), they will suck, and suck hard.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 08:46 AM   #57
static
Founding Member

Default Re: Perhaps Polaris Victory?

I am hoping that Polaris will think of expanding its motorcycle line to include modern sportbikes and perhaps a dirt model or two. With their reputation for modern perfomance in the watercraft and (especially) snowmobile catagories, I think that they won't stand for outdated technology for too much longer in their bikes.

At least I hope they are thinking that sport/performance bikes might be a good idea.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:30 AM   #58
starvingstudent
Founding Member

I doubt that HD/Buell will ever be the ones to "save" American manufacturing, because they're too caught up in preserving their marque's "tradition" and "identity." Perhaps Victory/Polaris will. I think a real contender could be Cannondale, if they ever decided to go into streetbikes--they've already got the X-Games crowd hooked on their other products, so I don't see why they couldn't build an SV-beater as well--light, cheap, and fun as all hell.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:53 AM   #59
pmmonster
Founding Member

Actually I believe your taxation and licensing laws may have more than a little to do with the cost differential. Why are grey market bikes so much cheaper in the UK than official imports?
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:13 AM   #60
solar1
Registered Member

You guys have GOT to be kidding. I think they used to be oddly unique and endearingly homely but the XB9R is BUTT ugly. Look at the fairing, it is too rakish and flat and small and hovers way too high above the tire, making it actually worse looking than the Fazer fairing. And what is with the frame? That structural member is HUGE!! And it has an odd, malformed taper to it. These things together give the bike a heavy disjointed look. I will admit the rest of the bike is pretty well formed but it still looks like it was cobbled together in the dark.
solar1 is offline   Reply With Quote