Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/943-buell-xb9r-firebolt-reader-feedback.html)

tom94vette 11-20-2001 03:46 AM

Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

I had a 2000 Buell M2 Cyclone that was in the shop EVERY weekend. No lie! EVERY weekend. I didn't put more than 4000 miles on it before I traded it for a VTR1000. That Buell was the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. And the dealer network was even worse, no parts were EVER in stock and by bike had to sit there for a week. I had that bike for a year and only put 4000 miles on it because it was ALWAYS in the shop. I usually put 12000 miles a year on my bikes. Everything went wrong with it from the day I drove it home from the dealer. Bad front end shake at speed (they told me they couldnt fix it because they weren't allowed to test drive it over 45 mph because of their insurance, and because the head wobble began at 60, they weren't able to diagnose the problem) excessive detonation (again, they couldnt figure this one out, it took me forever to realize that the factory installed the WRONG SPARK PLUGS), leaking oil, constant overheating, transmission fluid blowing out all over my back tire (almost killed me), bad engine mounts (twice), broken speedo, engine oil leaking into tranny compartment.....the list goes on man, and I babied that thing. I'll never buy one again, ever!!!!!

tom

spindizzy 11-20-2001 03:48 AM

You've been asleep for the past 10 years while Ducati produced the 900SS then. This is really just a slight variation on that.

Hebgan 11-20-2001 04:40 AM

I want to comment on two things... the power or lack of power and the reliability issue. Let me add that I currently own an R1 and I have also owned an Buell M2 (plus several other bikes).

Power- I love the rush of my R1 up top, but those who complain that the Buell, with 'only' 90hp and 60ft/lbs need to remember that it's practically off idle. That can make it very fun around town all the time... I rarely get to see the real power of my R1 on the street without 'bending' several laws. My M2 was one of the most fun bikes I ever owed.

Reliability- I'll never own a Buell again. Simple as that, I had more problems/recall with that bike than all the bikes I've owed collectively. In the 2 years of owning that bike it spent 1/3 of it's life in the shop or waiting for parts (once for 3 Months!). I only put 2000 miles on that bike in two years, but my R1 has been flawless(4000 miles just this summer). For those who ride this is a BIG issue.

What's my point?? You don't need 140hp to have fun (especially if your breaking every speed limit in the land in FIRST gear to get there!)

So I'll wait to see what this 919 is all about... only 100hp(?) only 60ft/lbs(?) hmmmm, if it's as fun as my buell was, but with RELIABILITY!!! Then I'm sold

VFRider 11-20-2001 05:15 AM

"wrap it in carbon bodywork, Ohlins suspension and other goodies and you'd have the ultimate street muscle bike"...And who will buy this $18,000 bike?

russ 11-20-2001 05:17 AM

Putting the fuel in the frame is an excellent idea, except that the fuel capacity is limited to 3.7 gallons. In a 1 liter sport bike. Max range will be quite limited, and there is no way to increase the fuel capacity.

As for Buell reliability, I have over 25,000 miles on my 1997 Buell S3 Thunderbolt and I have experienced no difficulties after initial break-in. Maintenance is very easy and straightforward, making it a bike you ride rather than a bike you work on.

12er 11-20-2001 05:24 AM

Re: Be American - buy American

If Im not mistaking WWW stands for WORLD WIDE WEB not America Web.

starvingstudent 11-20-2001 05:28 AM

Re: From http://209.58.136.120/rcls/nhtsa/99/99v106.htm

There you go. The "single-sided" was a brain fart.

mandrake_the_mollusk 11-20-2001 05:37 AM

Re: From http://209.58.136.120/rcls/nhtsa/99/99v106.htm

Though I don't have any plans to rush out and buy this one, a 1998 recall on unrelated models is about the LAST thing I'd consider if I were looking at a new bike.

Has anyone actually been killed on a Buell due to a recall defect? If I took the wording of these recalls at face value (they present the absolute worst-case situation however remote the chance) geez I'd be afraid to even go out on the street near any vehicle 2-wheeled or 4 let alone ride it. God knows how many are about to explode at any moment according to some recall the current owner never heard of!

There are FAR more dangerous aspects to riding ANY motorcycle than the likelihood of crashing due to a manufacturing defect. Anybody who's that scared of getting hurt should stick to minivans with a 5-star crash test rating.

NickdaBrick 11-20-2001 05:46 AM

All that stuff about the Firebolt being designed to be "a street bike" as opposed to a track weapon is a load of pony loaf. I'm sure Erik Buell really wanted to build a world-class Ducati killer, but his company didn't have the resources to compete in the engine department.

That said, it looks like a hell of a lot of fun as is. I hope they sell a bunch of 'em.

Kew 11-20-2001 05:48 AM

That doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is that the bike doesn't have a full fairing. If it had a full fairing it would be the first bike that I ever considered owning that was manufactured domestically. I'm really into sportbikes, not necessarily for the performance, but for the "look". A fully faired and chiselled sportbike says beauty and motion even when it's sitting still.