Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/943-buell-xb9r-firebolt-reader-feedback.html)

boxjoint 11-20-2001 12:29 AM

Re: Be American - buy SMART

I work for a large AMERICAN Automobile manufacturer, so the existance of guys like you do make me happy. However, I did not read a single reply to this article that bashed this American product for being American. Buells get bashed (as do Harleys) for overpricing their products, poor reliability, and poor customer support. Yes, I too am American, which I proudly display as I ride into the parking lot of that Large Automobile Manufacturer ON MY KAWASAKI!!!!!!!!

boxjoint 11-20-2001 12:35 AM

Changing my mind!

When this bike was first presented to us, I was happliy typing my ani-Buell jokes on this forum. After reading about this bike in several print rags, as well as this article, the XB9R is really starting to look attractive. When they prove that the reliability issues have been addressed, and they throw a V-Rod motor in that thing, I'll sell my bike to get one. As long as they keep it under 11k.

xlr8r 11-20-2001 01:04 AM

Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

Same old whines. If reliability was an issue, they'd never sell a single Ducati 916. If cost was an issue, they'd never sell a single Harley. If you want progress, you have to support the people who are making it, and Erik Buell is showing the way in a way that the Japanese manufacturers seldom do. The 'ancient' engine architecture is to make it easy to produce using existing H-D tooling and without huge investment, in the hope that it can be sold at a reasonable price. And while we're talking about price, out here in the rest of the world, ie not the US (yes, I'm in Europe), we pay about fifty percent more than you for the same machine, even the ones which are produced in Europe like BMWs and Triumphs. The rest-of-world prices subsidise the US market. And still you whine...

Detroit 11-20-2001 01:38 AM

I have a 1998 S1 with 18,000 miles. I purchased the bike from a dealer who used it for a demo bike for 8,000 miles. You know my bike was not treated kindly in that time. I have done 1300 mile rides in 3 days with my Buell and it never left me stranded. I ride the bike to work (weather permitting in Michigan) allot and it does an excellent job with the 80lb/ft of torque on hand for those 50-90mph roll ons on the Xway. I owned all japanese bikes in the past. All great bikes and all faster in a 1/4 mile and top speed. But the Buell is my favorite bike for the street. It handles great and has excellent power below 100mph.

Having said that I would not sell my S1 for a Firebolt. I love everything about the firebolt except the engine is some 200cc's less. Give me 100rwhp, 70lb/ft of torque from an engine in the firebolt and I will get in line. Untill then I will keep the S1.

RonXX 11-20-2001 02:04 AM

Erik Buell is not a magician. I really don't think he knows more about engineering than the guys at Porsche. They helped design the V-Rod motor. Sure more power can be coaxed out of it, but just like the Sportster engines Buell uses now, it will become an unreliable piece of crap.

RS-Mike 11-20-2001 02:35 AM

Well XXRon you might be right, but I doubt it.

The current V-Rod engine is designed to be in a cruiser. And thus it has been tuned for low-end power and massive torque.

Now, compare this with other V-Twins, for example Aprilia who uses the same engine in different bikes with different power curves. The Futura, to name one, is tuned for mid-range touring power and produces 113 hp while the RSV Mille is tuned for high-end racing power and produces 130 hp.

Therefore it is my guess that Buell can do a similar change on the V-Rod engine. This means that it would be enough with some smaller changes in tuning to produce at least 5-10 more horsepower, without sacrificing reliability.

That would mean a power output in the area of 125 hp and given how much lighter the Buell is compared to the V-Rod, that sounds like plenty of fun to me.

tkleeblatt 11-20-2001 02:37 AM

I just sold my Buell and am only into the cruiser scene. Much more fun for me. I think the XB9R chassis is great but the engine will be its demise. It should of got the V-Rod engine. This bike will go down in history as a flop until Buell get serious about the powerplant. New bike reviews are suppose to be exciting...not like bad meat & cheese.

Rev-O 11-20-2001 02:58 AM

Re: Be American - buy American

Sad that you equate anti-Buell and anti-Harley sentiments as anti-American propaganda.

Small mindedness is a wonderful thing.

Eric 11-20-2001 03:23 AM

Why should you care whether or not this motorcycle will sell? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Why does it disgust you? Because not everyone shares your taste? The perception that Japanese bikes are a better value? Ride what you like. For some people, the extra cash isn't that big a deal. For people that want something a little different, this would certainly fit the bill.

Eric 11-20-2001 03:38 AM

I can't wait to test ride this thing. Those that are worried about reliability, I wouldn't be so concerned. I have read horror stories about reliability -- especially Motorcyclist long term S3T -- but they seem to be out of step with the majority of owners that I know. A decade after starting production, the product has really come around. My 2002 M2 has 2800 miles on it in almost 3 months of ownership with no problems. I can't describe the experience. Those that attack the Buell for lack of power or refinement, just go ride one. If you don't like it fine. Yes, there have been a number of recalls, but name a major manufacturer that hasn't had at least some recalls (cam chain tensioner on the 'busa anyone?).

For the record, I have owned Harleys and Hondas. When I bought my Buell, I had intended to buy a Kawasaki ZR-7s (no test ride available = no sale), though I did manage to test ride Duc ST2 and Triumph Sprint ST. The Triumph felt the most refined with good wind protection, the Duc was quite fun in the limited high speed curves I rode though it was lacking in power, while the Buell just put a grin on my face I couldn't get rid of. I gave up the wind protection (though the bikini fairing does help more than you would think) and haven't regretted it for a minute. The Firebolt wouldn't be my first choice because of the small gas tank. I like the 200+ mile range on my M2 and the relaxed riding position, but I believe that I would love to spend an afternoon on the Firebolt.