Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-29-2001, 05:09 AM   #211
blueron
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

The man's on the money. What's the point of all the

innovations if the power source would be more at home

in a museum? Air-cooled pushrod two-valves per cylinder

-- c'mon Harley/Buell, that stuff is history. OK, so

you want to maintain the V-Twin heritage thing, which

is quite understandable, but why the same old dog of

a motor? Are the American designers SO inward looking that

the efforts of their counterparts in Italy (Ducati, Aprilia)

and Japan (all the big Four) and even elsewhere (Voxan, KTM)

don't even register? I thought Buell having Harley backing

was meant to be a huge advantage -- but instead it seems it

means Buell is stuck with the junkheap 'lifestyle' engines

that might cut it for old fat men who are content with 60 bhp

motors slung in frames that turn slower than an 18-wheeler.

But that kind of motor doesn't nearly do justice to the

innovative work that the Buell frame people are coming up

with. C'mon Harley -- take the dampers off these poor people,

and let them do what they're so obviously qualified to do --

with an engine that belongs in this century, at least.
blueron is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2002, 07:08 AM   #212
98Viffer
Founding Member

>(no way i will *ever* own another honda, btw, after the way i was treated regarding the cam defects on my '83 interceptor.

Ummm.... that was 19 years ago. Get OVER it. Too bad, as the VFR is a wonderful machine. You are also missing out on an incredible good time with the Honda VTR1000 Superhawk. Mounds of torque, wonderful V-Twin sounds, and with a few suspension bits, a hell of a canyon carver. Don't let an incident almost 20 years ago taint the opportunity to own a Honda. The industry's best reliability should tell you something. Oh, and the bikes rule, too. OK, so I'm a Honda guy...
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:59 AM   #213
duggie
Founding Member

i discovered my cam problem back in ~'85, when i went to adjust the valves, & saw they were visibly concave. i took it to the dealer & asked 'em about it, & also had other honda recall work done. the dealer said, short of upgrading to megacycle cams, there's nuttin' that i could do, & all the costs would be on me. honda *was* replacing cams at no charge for owners, cuz they knew of the problems even then. the authorized honda dealer dint tell me a word about this. it was not until ~1996, when i got on-line, that i'd discovered all this past history w/the old vf cams. so i contacted honda about it, & told 'em of what happened back in '85 when i took my bike in for recall. they were able to confirm my story regarding when/where my bike had the recall work done, cuz the dealer takes the vin, etc. but they bluntly told me i must be lying, & just want some free cam work installed - the dealer surely wooda replaced the cams free of charge back then, if i knew about it. this was *not* 19 years ago - this was yust a few years ago, when i was starting to shop for a replacement for my '83 interceptor. the latest vfr's & the 900cbr were near the top of the list.

it wasn't so much that honda refused to do anything about it, it was that they said the reason was because they thought i was lying, & was just looking for a free upgrade. well, i dint even test the hondas after that, & to be honest, i have no regrets & don't feel i'm missing *anything*. i love my ducati & buell, get passable service for the duc, considering it's 24 years old, & the service and company backing i've gotten on my buell is absolutely outstanding. ie: they replaced a race-pipe hedder i got, at absolutely no charge, cuz it cracked at the mount, almost 2 years after i bought it. and, there's absolutely *zero* warranty on their race parts,something they tell ya at time of purchase. but, they knew they had a problem, so they took care of it. mebbe the hondas *are* nice, but i'm missin' out on *nothing*, cuz if i had to ride one, i wouldn't be able to ride my buell or ducati! :>) and, i'd have to knowingly support a company that had the audacity to say i was a liar.

regards,

doug s.
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 03:34 AM   #214
dominatr37
Founding Member

Waitaminute, you're the one who has that Hardly FXST crap as his screen name, and I'M dumber then a fence post? What does that make you? A post hole digger? Or a broken stump?
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 06:56 PM   #215
Bryan8252
Founding Member

This is a letter to Gabe from his post above (big power=you die). You seem like an informed person, so I would like to ask you a question. Others are also welcome to jump in here. I am a middle aged man, 6'5"-220lbs, good health, good driver, back into bikes after a 20 year layoff--just bought a little 200cc Yamaha to get some time in on/off road. Now looking for a high performance bike that will do it all (never would be ridden on a track). I want the best--I want it to perform exactly as it should with no surprises--and to put a big smile on my face. I want it to be a work of art that works flawlessly. I like quickness, smooth put you back in the seat performance, agility, comfort and a feeling that everything works together, and a bike that is confidence inspiring. The bike will spent a lot of times on local roads, day rides, ocasional overnight rides and maybe multiple overnight rides very occasionally. A passenger would almost never be on board, but will at times. I need to carry some luggage, not much. I'm currently looking at the Yamaha FZ1 which I understand is a great bike. Any other options out there that may be a little better or more exotic? I like a fairly upright riding style. Remember, I'm 6'5"--220. Anybody's help would be appreciated. If you want to buypass this forum, contact me direct at Bryan8252@aol.com.

Thanks, Bryan
Bryan8252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 08:39 AM   #216
gbrummett
Founding Member

The Firebolt is a nice addition to the Buell lineup. However, they have one huge thing missing, a Buell Firebolt with the V-Rod engine! For all the great things I love about the Firebolt, it's still missing one thing, a serious dose of horsepower, like 115+ at the crank instead of 92 H.P. When oh when are they going to get some serious horsepower right out of the box. And I'm sure if they put their minds to it they could take that V-Rod engine and crank it up to say 150+ H.P. then wrap it in a new Buell frame, and YEAH BABY, you would have a world class ride.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 03:56 PM   #217
KPaulCook
Banned

Great comments. As American companies like Boeing, Ford, GM etc. focus on the bottom line from quater to quater R&D, innovation, quality and safety take a back seat. Meanwhile Japaneese and German companies come here use American labor and sometimes American engineers and produce world class products Could it be American MBA programs
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:54 AM   #218
runner00
Founding Member

In case anyone from Buell reads these things

I would be interested in a sport touring version

of the xb9r.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:42 AM   #219
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Testify!

Great comments, I wish a certain large American aerospace company would heed your words as now they are doing the same thing as the big three did outsource, outsource, outsource. The reason they are doing this is that one of the companies it bought did this and increased short-term profits. The problem was that when it came to competing for the Joint Strike Fighter this company had no resources/expertise left in the company to compete with. Short-term profit taking with Golden parachute/handshakes is the new norm in American companies. Quality used to be in now its out and outsourcing is in.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:43 AM   #220
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Me too Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

Good idea