Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-19-2001, 07:27 PM   #11
nweaver
Founding Member

Default You gotta be kidding me.

You GOT to be kidding me. Admittedly it is an impressive feat of engineering, to get that much power and that little weight out of the big, ugly, pushrod, air cooled lump of an engine. But the result of puling every trick in the book, albeit impressive, is still hollow. 375 lbs. ~80 horsepower, ~60 ft/lbs of torque (based on claims of 92 hp and ~68 ft/lbs of torque at the crank from Buell's web site). And since it pulls every trick in the book, it's pricey. Of course it's reasonably good, it's hard to make a BAD bike using remotely modern design techniques. But still.

Lets compare with some options.

Honda CBR954, for $600 more. It will get at least 60 ft/lbs of torque from right off idle all the way through the redline, at least 120 hp (both based on the 929 figures), not to mention still a little lighter. And Honda "I'm not going to shake myself apart" reliability.

Suzuki SV-650, for $4300 less. No hardcore technological tricks, and still a good 15 lbs lighter, only 10 hp down (a bit more down in torque, mind you, 40 ft-lbs across the rev range, but what do you expect for so much less displacement). And if you want to be "different", spend the money on an SVATX body kit, super suspension, and a few track school appointments.

Or a CBR-600 (for $1800 less). And teh list goes on and on...

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2001, 09:39 PM   #12
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

I never thought I'd lust after an American-made motorcycle... I was wrong.

I saw one at the motorcycle show in San Mateo a coupla weeks ago, and REALLY wanted to take it for a test-ride... or even sit on it. Couldn't, though - they had it up on a pedestal.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:57 PM   #13
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Be American - buy American

If it was the fastest bike on the face of the planet and Buell paid you to own it, you'd still trash it simply because it's made by an American company. You're living in the wrong country.
Todd8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 10:06 PM   #14
Todd8080
Founding Member

"I've heard plenty of horror stories too. I think Buell needs to exercise the reliability demons"

I've also heard horror stories about Buells and Harleys in general. Fortunately, it is never from actual Buell or Harley owners, but people like you who desperately want to keep other Americans from owning something you can't afford.

And the word is "exorcise".
Old 11-19-2001, 10:30 PM   #15
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Be American - buy American

Ah, our resident Harley troll surfaces again. My advice: Ignore his small mindedness gentlemen. You only need to read some of his previous comments to see where he stands. If Harley or Buell took a dump, and put it in a box, he undoubtedly would praise it as the best dump ever. He's a "real" American, at least in his own small mind.

BTW, the firebolt looks fun, but it's not for me. I wish Eric Buell the best with his company, and in this endeavor.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 10:33 PM   #16
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Sorry, Erik, I spelled your name wrong...

Old 11-19-2001, 10:45 PM   #17
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default From http://209.58.136.120/rcls/nhtsa/99/99v106.htm

I think he was referring to this particular recall, although not on a single sided swingarm, it was a swingarm recall.

Models:

Buell S1 Lightning Years: 1996-1998

Buell S1 White Lightning Year: 1998

Buell M2 Cyclone Years: 1997-1998

Buell S2 Thunderbolt Years: 1995-1996

Buell S2T Year: 1996

Buell S3 Thunderbolt Years: 1997-1998

Buell S3T Thunderbolt Years: 1997-1998

Number Involved: 8,950

Dates of Manufacture: February 1994 - June 1998

Defect: These motorcycles were built with a swingarm that could break. If the swingarm should break, loss of vehicle control could occur.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the swingarm. Owner notification was expected to begin during June 1999. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Buell at 1-414-343-8400.

Old 11-19-2001, 11:03 PM   #18
Todd8080
Founding Member

Default Re: Be American - buy American

If I were posting pro-American propaganda in your country, THAT would make me a troll. Posting anti-American propaganda at an American forum makes you the troll (unless I'm mistaken and this website is actually Japanese owned and operated).
Old 11-19-2001, 11:04 PM   #19
Knightrider
Founding Member

I have to give Buell credit for being differant. There is nothing like this out there, and I hope that it is a winner. The Buell line has been getting better every year and I for one would have no reservation about putting my money down on this bike if I had any to put down!

This bike was designed to be a sporting street riders all around dream package and I think that they got it right!
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2001, 11:36 PM   #20
RS-Mike
Founding Member

Personally I think Buell has taken a BIG step in the right direction. I am a big fan of racier streetbikes / sportier sporttouring bikes. I like the idea of having a bike that provides enough comfort for a shorter touring exercise and enough "spirit" (lacking a better word) to handle the occasional track-day.

To me, the fact that the bike uses some more or less innovative technical solutions and has a design that make it stick out among the hoard of UJMs is only positive. I respect everybody that dare to be different, as long as it has a meaning and drives development forward.

HOWEVER, the Firebolt has one major drawback according to my opinion. It needs more power. 92 hp on a sportbike, street or track, is not enough. When I turn the handle I want a thrill and 92 hp will not thrill me! I certainly hope that the Firebolt will be uppgraded with the new Revoulution-engine from Harley. If I rember it correclty that engine produces 115 hp on a cruiser. In the hands of Buell I think we can expect more and then things will start to get really intresting.
RS-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote