Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-27-2001, 09:45 AM   #161
tbuse
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell upsets everybody

"Sportbike" riders will never like the Buell, without ever riding it, because it gives them no posuer points while sitting in front of the Krispy Kreme in their lolipop suits comparing "chicken strips" and peg nubs (looks suspiciously like grinder marks) and lying about their last track days.
tbuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2001, 10:47 AM   #162
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

You're crazy if you think that the V-rod won't receive a price-gouging when it hits US dealers. A V-Rod at list price? HA! Even the firebolt will get a considerable mark-up.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:11 AM   #163
gforces
Founding Member

I know, what's up with that? I went to the same show, just so I could sit on it, to make sure that it was the bike that I want, and what do I get? Only to stare at it, like I do on the Internet? Blech, I think I'm gonna go to the Honda dealer down the street from my house, here in Milpitas. I'm sure THEY'LL let me sit on ALL THEIR BIKES.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:37 AM   #164
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default None of those options...

have 52 inch wheelbases, or zero driveline lash. If you look at how much power the V-rod lost from the crank, this will probably have more like 85hp or better at the wheel. I bet this feels tighter than an Aprilia RSV250, which is the only modern sportbike I'd bother comparing it to, and you can't buy a street legal RSV250 in this country. And of course, this would be more reliable and last longer. If you're looking for bang for the buck, this isn't it. But some people have specific desires--if you want exactly what this bike has, and I don't just mean the looks or the tricks, you have to get it here.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:47 AM   #165
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default It doesn't take a magician

to fit a 2-into-1. Porche did a little headwork on this motor, they didn't finish it. Of course Buell could get more power out of the motor. And so could HD if they thought they needed to. So why would this be unreliable? We haven't seen this motor out on the street yet for any length of time, but it's going to be just like the sportster motor? Just like the people that think the HD name magically makes it great, you seem to think the name magically makes it crap.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:57 AM   #166
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: The Buell has nothing in common with the prowler.

Well, I'd like to correct you on some major point you're missing - a 250GP bike IN NO WAY should be compared to the Firebolt - and it's not the wheelbase that measures the type of the bike. This is a hooligan bike - a streetfighter, stoplight-to-stoplight blasts being primary objective, torque being the game. It's in the same class with Ducati Monsters, Cagiva Raptors, arguably V-Maxes and all the other kinds I fail to mention here, including home-made streetfighters. And some of them have more power packed in a better chassis than the Buell. Of course, many are water-cooled, but thus I don't see your appreciation of sticking a Sportster engine anywhere - It's just a big problem that they are causing themselves willingly. At least, with a huge delay of I-donno-how-many-years, they may some day get the water-cooled V-Rod motor to play with. And again, I'll send people that come screaming about the V-Rod "best" motor, to the Cagiva Raptor, employing good old TL-1000 unit - it doesn't fall on numbers, as far as I remember..

Also, the ZX-6R you're talking about must have the brakes in a very bad shape, since it's lighter and can't possibly give up the braking department to Buell - I understand your dislike of race replicas, but they are still great bikes using best possible technology. And it's no measurement anyway - I overbraked ZX-6R 2000' with my old GSX-R750 91', putting good full-floating Braking discs on it, even without the sintered pads.. that doesn't say that ZX-6R brakes suck.. it can also be the guy who holds the brake lever, after all ..
Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 12:39 PM   #167
Jack_R750
Founding Member

2 replies already burned you in flames you deserve, but I'll add a little bit on that Ducati comment. First, Ducati seem to improve A LOT in their quality standards, since their budget is way up. Second, Ducati brought to the world "very unreliable", 7-years-in-a-row winner, rapidly developing, state-of-the-art designed and uncontested for a very long time, arguably the best 90's racer bike, originally 916, now 998. That by a small company, producing low quantities of old-and-weird technology bikes, though always nice (or different at least) looking. Maybe initially they s_cked in reliability, but the 916 still won, and kept winning and improving. What did Harley bring to the world that can be looked on as a great innovation/achievement? Ok, it sold A LOT of cruisers. But were these cruisers something exceptional, something to refer to as "unique"? Their sound, maybe? I don't know anyone with bikes being one of main interests, and not knowing what is a 916, for its racing reputation. Though I know a lot of people, myself included, that can't tell apart Harleys, and don't know about the famous Harley sound or whatever.

Don't you Harley fans misunderstand me, I really have nothing against Harley. For me, all the cruisers are alike, and I just don't even know how to ride one - tried and didn't understand the point of it.. And most of the cruiser riders I know are POSERS, and for some reason I just hate that small-head-cap-and-leather-tattoo-pose, don't really care if it's Harley or Suzuki..

Old 11-27-2001, 01:00 PM   #168
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Totally agree on the deal with Harley Superbike team - they don't need to exist, unless Harley wants to release a Superbike competitor race-rep to the street, which it apparently doesn't want, and for a good reason. But you in your criticism of "sportbike-posing" you forgot some important things: 1) Harley was compared to Ducati, to which in reply a point was made that it can't withstand the comparison. That it shouldn't be compared in first place would be a better idea. 2) If comparing Buell and other sportbike-producing companies, like the aforementioned Ducati, or better Cagiva, and if Buell should be treated as Harley's branch (since they are not-so-independent, being based on Harley technology and engines), Harley (or Buell) can and should be flamed for old technology, which is causing them problems to solve like engine placement etc.

And if Buell should be treated like a separate company, then they need to loose the Harley connection and go borrow an engine from Japanese manufacturers, or create their own competitive one.

At least, in my opinion, the styling is cool..

Old 11-27-2001, 01:30 PM   #169
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: 130hp...

It's no news that a skilled rider on just about anything is better than a not-so-skilled to say the least. But, in equal hands, until we have an objective comparison, you still can't tell if the Firebolt will get to see the tail lights of a Monster, or smell the exhausts of the Raptor. And judging by the engine department, it will. And I mean as it is, coz as well as improving the old Sportster engine, overboring it to hell etc., you may do the same on TL1000 engine to get 140hp and more (don't blame me for numbers, it's a speculation based on some known facts).

But again, we need a good comparison to get things straight. MO, are you listening?

And personally, I wouldn't give much respect for someone who doesn't respect others - meaning that Hayabusa-bashing line.. Because if Suzuki builds the Boost King, the Buell will probably suck badly, and this line will be very ironic..
Old 11-27-2001, 02:08 PM   #170
Rayvan3
Founding Member

I could see your point of one actually RACES for a LIVING.....

What's wrong with running an engine with slightly less power if what you get back is a mountain of street usable torque at an RPM you are actually running in most of the time anyway?

What's wrong with running an engine with slightly less power if what you get back is a bike you can work on at home and not waste an entire weekend on valves. You don't have to completely dissasemble some bikes just to maintain 'em....

If I raced for a living I wouldn't buy a Buell. That's not where they are marketing this bike. You race for a living? Didn't think so...

Rayvan
Rayvan3 is offline   Reply With Quote