Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-21-2001, 06:34 AM   #101
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB9R Firebolt reader feedback

"I recently read an article about the last Pro-Thunder race in which they had a Firebolt that was pumping out something like 130 RWHP."

Are you sure you're talking about the Firebolt? How could they have gotten one already? How is it that a Ducati won the championship in that class?
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2001, 06:43 AM   #102
intruderman
Founding Member

Default Brilliant

"He ignored me and my bike (my 59 Chevy-finned highly hot rodded Harley) the only time I ever rode with him and his cronies. I passed them in a curve and one of them went down trying to catch me."

Jeez, you must be very proud.
intruderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 06:50 AM   #103
SpeedyR
Founding Member

Default Re: 130hp...

If you check around at something like www.roadracingworld.com - Higbee (buell test rider and factory pilot) had a Firebolt at the WERA Grand National Finals that they had put together with a variety of X-1 and firebolt parts (engine parts that is).. he figured that it put out about 130hp in race trim. Basically the bottom end of the new engine with top end of the X-1 if I remember correctly to get higher dispacement (since the rules allow you to go to 1200cc).

Basically a lightweight, great handling, torque ladden street bike. Where do I sign up? I've been racing an underpowered Honda Hawk for a while and riding an R6 on the street. I'm selling the R6 soon and will be either getting another R6, a Firebolt, or a Mille R in the spring. Will be interesting to ride them back to back at Daytona this spring...

realistically if you need more than 100 hp, you probably need to work on your riding skills anyway or you are riding somewhere without turns...

Another side note- I read a story a while ago from Eric Buell and he was asked if he was worried about people not feeling the top end hit that you get with a 4 cylinder bike (ie. the midrange torque of the firebolt was very smooth).. he replied something like "do you want to feel fast or be fast??? we are building a bike for people who know how to ride and don't have to feel like they have to be on a haul-a-bus-a to have fun and go fast..."

just my $.02 but I would bet that buell firebolt will embrarass a lot of "supersports" in the mountains. I can do it pretty easily on the hawk now, but with twice the power, that should be very fun!!!

Jeff

SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:00 AM   #104
work2fish
Founding Member

like it. could probably fix it myself, too.
work2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:02 AM   #105
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Absolutely!

And when I'm done with my Monster 750, these are the bikes I will be looking at when I decide to go up to more power.

For those of us who never will ride on a track, ofttimes the track bikes never even show up on the radar.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:06 AM   #106
SpeedyR
Founding Member

yes.. check out www.roadracingworld.com and search around for the prothunder results. yes, montano won the title on his 748R, but the buells did a pretty good job (first and second place- ciccotto (sp?) won by like 10 seconds, but he was too far back in the points..

to get the 130 hp they mixed and matched parts of the firebolt and X-1 engine to get the larger capacity and power(up to 1200cc allowed in WERA rules). The rider was Shawn Higbee (works for Buell and races them as well). It was the only one at the track. They have been seen on the street as well (there was one at the Slimy Crud Rally up north a month or so ago- VIN number was on tape on the side). But it'll probably be early next year before they go on sale...

check a post I put above about the 130hp or read RRW..

jeff

SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:07 AM   #107
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Britten / Indian

Many, many of us here bemoan the state of Indian. Almost everyone here thinks it should've gone the other way.

And dear God, I never saw the video, but anything Britten designed before he died so soon....I have no doubts as to the performance claims. He was a genius.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:22 AM   #108
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm glad I could brighten your day by getting you to rattle on and on making an idiot of yourself. Have a nice day.
Old 11-21-2001, 07:28 AM   #109
drandall
Founding Member

Default Re: From http://209.58.136.120/rcls/nhtsa/99/99v106.htm

I've had two Buells, (a '99 S3 and now an '00 X1), and have had no problems except for the recalls, none of which actually caused me any problems.

I see the recalls as very positive; Buell is willing to take care of customers, as opposed to the Japanese makes, which only recall something if forced to.
drandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:35 AM   #110
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default VFR not a sportbike

Yeah, the Viffer is a real slouch. 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, and has quarter mile times in the low 11's (11.14 at 122 mph). I'm almost embarrassed to be riding it... When I pass squids on their "real sportbikes".

Actually, I don't know why you felt you had to slag off the VFR at all? None of the V engines you mentioned are "sportbikes". So do you think this dream bike of yours (and mine, don't get me wrong, I'd love a 1000cc V-4 powered monster, tuned to the max, not this tuned for more torque crapola) would be that much different from the VFR powerplant, other than displacement and tuning?

Don't be a hater

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote