Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-15-2001, 05:12 PM   #1
FBDayoff
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha Silverado Feedback

Glad you all came to Kentucky; we have a lot of excellent riding here, in the central Bluegrass region around Lexington, and in the knobby area beyond that. Anywhere in the SE can be hot and humid in July. Get a DeLorme atlas for the state and look for the squiggles. Stay away from the far southeastern counties, though, as there's lots of coal trucks there and they are not good about sharing the road with anyone.

The best bike for our roads would be an R1150GS, not a cruiser, though.

FBDayoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2001, 05:45 AM   #2
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Hate to be nitpicky...

But you made a grammatical error in the TITLE of the article. I normally let those in the text slide, but it's gotta be said this time: "apostrophe-s" shows possession, not a plural noun. The title should read "2000 Yamaha Silverados" not "2000 Yamaha Silverado's"

Besides that...un-removable saddlebags are DUMB if you're actually going on a trip (unless it's a big touring rig with removable liners that you can use to carry stuff into the hotel). If Yamaha really wants you to believe that those saddlebags are for function and not for looks, they should include a set of removable liner-duffel-things (value of what, $20?) with the bike.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 06:12 AM   #3
Poser
Founding Member

Default Middleweight? Lightweight?

OK, so we are talking about cruisers, but since when is 1100cc even a middleweight? Have motorcycles gone the way of SUVs? Anything bigger than a 650 is a "big" bike, if ya ask me!
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 06:29 AM   #4
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Speed star parts worth it?

The performance improvements would be negligible. Riders do those changed primarily because they want to annoy people with a loud racket. They think it's "cool" to piss off every car driver around them with an annoying loud frickin' motor. The m/c and aftermarket manufacturers know this so they build their aftermarket parts to suit this clientelle. The performance improvements are there, but as I wrote before, very small. And you usually end up sacrificing low end/midrange power (which you use about 90% of the time you're riding) for more power high in the rev range.

I would suggest that if you're serious about wanting more performance without a sportbike riding position, that you take a look at the current crop of standards and "naked bikes" like the Kawasaki ZRX1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Yamaha FZ-1, Honda 919, and Triumph Speed Triple. Any of these bikes will knock your socks off in both looks and perfoemance, and you won't have to annoy everyone around you to get "better" performance.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 06:32 AM   #5
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Yes....

Motorcycles, at least cruiser motorcycles, have gone the way of SUVs. You hadn't noticed???
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 06:39 AM   #6
NickdaBrick
Founding Member

Default You guys need some perspective.

Poser's right. These are big bikes. Even the "little" 650 weighs in at more than 500 pounds and is about as big, about as heavy, and probably about as powerful as an old Indian Chief or Harley Knucklehead.

You really don't need a 750 pound bike to ride across country, and you don't need 100 foot pounds of torque to ride around town.

How about a comparison test featuring an MZ 125, a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and an Italjet Amarcord 125?
NickdaBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 07:31 AM   #7
WickedPainful
Founding Member

Default 1100 a starter's bike?

The article mentioned that people were starting to look to these bikes as a starter bike.

That's a big mistake. They need to learn on something a little lighter than an 1100. I can see somebody starting out on the 650. I knew a guy with one, and it was a nice little bike, but 1100's are just too big.
WickedPainful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 08:10 AM   #8
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Speed star parts worth it?

Check out the modified Road Star we tested a while back. There were some decent improvements made as the dyno chart shows.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 08:11 AM   #9
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Hate to be nitpicky...

I bugged Calvin about that first thing this morning. He said something about things not replicating across the servers fast enough. I say he's lazy. But tonight's his birthday party, so as long as he fixes it within 20 nanoseconds of this posting, he's exonerated.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 09:04 AM   #10
GregP
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha Silverado Feedback

Ok, this year Yamaha has decided that riders need windshields and bags, but Honda (check out their 2002 models) have decided to pull all of their "tourer" models off the market. ??? I personally think that Yamaha is right, but of course, only the marketplace will tell
GregP is offline   Reply With Quote