Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-17-2001, 01:03 AM   #21
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Anchors

Some of those big ugly bikes could (should?) be used as anchors...

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2001, 05:41 AM   #22
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Are Speed star parts worth it?

A Magna or Valkyrie will still give a LOT more power with a LOT less noise. The original poster seems to view loud pipes negatively (and with good reason), and I quote the modified Road Star review:

>However, one "trait" that stood out as being universal was the brash indifference toward lawful society the Long Shot pipes produced. If the saying, "loud pipes save lives" holds even a thimble full of water, then anybody riding a big bore bike with these pipes will live forever.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 07:02 AM   #23
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Middleweight? Lightweight?

Ah for the days when an XS1100 was a BIG FARKING HEAVY BIKE!!!

But that was in the early Eighties, when Yamaha had 2-page ads for the SR250 "Exciter I", which made sense in those Energy Crisis years and will probably make sense in the Energy Crisis years that are just about upon us again...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 09:44 AM   #24
vstarinak
Founding Member

Default Re: 1100 a starter

I'm looking at my first bike. I can't see much difference between a 650/1100 except 100lbs. At six two, 200lbs that 100lbs of bike doesn't seem like much. I am more concerned about wanting more power in a year or less.

Taking a weekend run of over 100 miles is common for me in the car or SUV, and I want to be able to enjoy a weekend round trip of a couple hundred miles. What do you think?

vstarinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 10:14 AM   #25
vstarinak
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Yamaha Silverado Feedback

I find it interesting that the RoadStar can be ordered with different paint schemes, but the rest of the line is what you see is what you get. Personnally I don't care at all for the 1100 classics platinum/titanium and would prefer it in the pearl or blue/white. But then I guess there's always basic black.

But why not offer the bike with the Silverado colors, whithout the Silverado doo dads? I'd opt for that!

vstarinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 11:01 AM   #26
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Silverado vs Silverado?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 01:19 PM   #27
starvingstudent
Founding Member

A Pontiac Bonneville? A Ford Thunderbird?

Oh wait--they already exist.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:28 PM   #28
BigGit
Founding Member

Daytona: Dodge, Shelby, Ferrari, Moto Guzzi, Triumph... wasn't there a Ducati Daytona as well?
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 09:02 AM   #29
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Here's a test for you

Buell S3T Thunderbolt vs Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.

SIMILARITIES--

*Both are pig-ugly and heavy.

*The Buell engine has "big jugs"; the P-47 _is_ "The Jug."

*The Buell has ample storage space for a do-it-all motorcycle; th P-47 has ample ordinance space for a do-it-all combat aircraft.

DIFFERENCES--

*The Buell gets better gas-mileage and is much more pleasant in slow-speed parking-lot maneuvers and parking; the P-47 is a much better choice for tactical air support over Normandy hedgerows.

*The Buell makes 87hp; the P-47 makes 2,430hp.
Old 11-18-2001, 12:10 PM   #30
josephblow
Founding Member

Default Re: Hi-yo, Silverado!

Yep, the ACE Tourer was probably the best all-around bike in the Shadow lineup. It had great looks, utility with the hard bags and big windshield, and power from the dual pin crank to run away from bikes much larger. It also had tubeless radial tires on those good looking mag wheels and it handled very nicely for a cruiser. The Tourer was also the best-kept secret in the Shadow line, unfortunately, and they never really sold as well as they should have. You can still find brand-new leftover 2000 and 2001 models if you look around...
josephblow is offline   Reply With Quote