Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-06-2001, 01:53 PM   #1
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Not bad...

Nice ride, but what does this mean for the V-Max? Now that it's getting to the point where V65 Sabre parts are getting hard to find, I might eventually want to (need to?) pick up a Max - I hope Yamaha doesn't kill it off...

All whining aside, it's nice to see manufacturers putting some perfomance into "road bikes" (as opposed to track bikes). I think sportbikes are about as much fun to ride on the street as getting a root canal. I'm still waiting for MOTORCYCLES with good power to be made that are not easily catagorizable. The V-Max is all that's left right now, and even it is kinda quirky...

Anyway, this Warrior looks like a pretty nice ride for a cruiser - how does it compare to the rest of the the power cruisers in the shoot out?
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2001, 02:10 PM   #2
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Not bad...

>I'm still waiting for MOTORCYCLES with

>good power to be made that are not easily

>catagorizable

What's wrong with the big standards like

the ZRX, FZ-1, B12, and the soon to be

released Hornet?

One of these will be my next bike...comfort

and horsepower, what more could one ask for?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 02:57 PM   #3
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Those are "sportbikes without fairings" - short wheelbased, low raked bikes that are designed to perform well under racetrack-like conditions. They are designed to be responsive at high speeds, but at typical everyday speeds they are lousy (unless you ride like a squid at all times).

A good example of a real standard is a Nighthawk. It doesn't have that much power, but it's the kind of bike that does everything pretty well. Make one with real power and I'll be interested. The V-Max is close but still quirky (styling emphasized over function, especially the small gas tank). Still, if the Sabre died tomorrow it's probably what I'd buy.

The bikes you mention are weekend toys. Trust me, as an SV650 owner who is about to put it up for sale, I know. I'm sticking with my 17 year old V65 Sabre until something comes out that can do everything as well as it can.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 03:39 PM   #4
poopypants
Founding Member

YOU WIMP!!!!! I have a '99 sv650 with over 20k miles on the clock. I commute, sport tour (with a passenger), and ride all winter. My wife and I regularly do 500 mile days on our twin. Calling an SV a "weekend toy" is an insult.
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:10 PM   #5
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

Air cooled, huh?

What's everybody's take on that?

May I add that the last picture of the red Warrior with stacked shot-gun pipes is ABSOLUTELY stunning!
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:21 PM   #6
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

Whoa! What a great looking bike...OK guys, show me the comparo with the Kawasaki Mean Streak come out so I can make a decision..hehehe. I've seen the Kawi at the dealership and think it looks great.

Hopefully, Yamaha and Kawasaki will offer some touring parts for these bikes (I know, Kawi has the Nomad, and Yamaha the Road Star Silverado for that, but I want something with some goose to it.) After all, some of us can only afford 1 bike so the bike will have to do double duty for me as a commuter ride as well.

Either of these would be a great replacement for my 1982 GS1100GK!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:24 PM   #7
GS1100GK
Founding Member

I agree, there are not many bikes left that offer power and comfort that do not require you to "ride" the tank or recline in a lazyboy type seat. That is why I've kept my 82 GS1100GK. However, I could be tempted by this beast for sure!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:25 PM   #8
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Not to mention the R1150R, ZR7S, SV650, Nighthawk, F650, Monster, W650, Sportster Sport....the list, even in the US, is huge. The market segment exists if you want it.

And if you don't like a Bandit or FZ1's seating position...well change it. That IS why they have tubular handlebars, right?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 04:27 PM   #9
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Hey MO...

What's the news on the ZR7/SV650/Monster test? If you decided to drop it, just tell me so I can quit holding my breath...getting a bit blue in the face here...
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 05:05 PM   #10
slowburner_1
Founding Member

Default Pipes and fairing and spoiler, O MY !!!

The shotgun pipes should be standard on the Warrior. They look great. The great big can - on a cruiser? - does nothing for me. The bike looks sweet with the chin spoiler and mini fairing, but those might not be for everybody. Let us add those. But the pipes! The bike needs those pipes on the showroom floor. I'd hate to buy a brand new cruiser and then spend more money just to make it look like it should have in the first place.
slowburner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote