Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Yamaha Warrior Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/927-yamaha-warrior-feedback.html)

itchface 11-08-2001 04:04 PM

O.K., now I'm feeling a bit guilty

Alright, I admit I came down a bit hard on you. For a person with as limited a scope of motorcycling experiences as you have, you DO have an amazing wealth of knowledge.

The reason for my vituperative diatribe (from the Department of Redundancy Department) is your vile and malicious attack on an earlier message I had posted. I wanted revenge. I now regret that I stooped to this level of crude banality.

You're still pretty much wrong about everything, and, of course, I'm still clearly right, but I shouldn't have made it personal. Sorry, dude.

BigGit 11-08-2001 04:13 PM

Re: O.K.

Apology for that Simple Desultory Phillipic accepted. I was about to say that I would not be Robert McNamara'd into submission, but given my definite "Ford Falcon" taste in motorcycles, I probably already have been...

BigGit 11-08-2001 04:34 PM

Re: Best commuting is with cruisers

That's difficult to argue with, so I won't. Straight-up conventional wisdom.

However, the F650CS is the bike that made me realize how superficial I really am. I wouldn't be caught dead on an F650CS! It looks like something that would be run off from a distillation apparatus designed to extract pure ugliness.

john 11-09-2001 12:59 AM

Re: Best commuting is with cruisers

Cruiz......i guess i will never understand how this low seat height and low center of gravity stuff will ever have anything to do with commuting or in town riding. I am 5'6 and 130 lbs with a 29 inch inseam, and ride a 2001 suzuki bandit, with a 30.7 inch seat height, or something. I cant touch the ground with both feet, and in the 7,000 miles i put on it in 3 months it was never an issue. It did, however, have tires that supported the weight of the bike while at stop or slow speed.

Oh, and it had an upright seating position, and your legs are underneath you which helps balance, as opposed to sitting in the gynocologists chair position that my dad's dyna superglide has. Talk about akward at slow speeds!!!!

LimeSqueezr 11-09-2001 03:40 AM

Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

High levels of sound can certainly *accelerate* permanent hearing loss, especially in persons genetically pre-disposed to it. AFAIK there's no research proving beyond a doubt that the hearing loss resulting from 15 minutes of 96 decibels is *permanent* loss and common sense says that it is NOT except perhaps in people who were born with easily damaged ears. And they are, alas, going to be deaf someday no matter what if they live to old age.

intruderman 11-09-2001 05:09 AM

Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

I think the Warrior is a better power cruiser than the Mean Streak. If I had to pick from among the latest "power cruisers", I think the Warrior would be my choice. From what I read, the only thing missing in the Mean Streak is.......power. Doh! The motor is the main attraction to me. I don't care how good the rest of the bike is if it doesn't have a real kickin' motor. Even though my Intruder already has a power cruiser motor (see latest issue of Motorcycle Cruiser), I'm selling it to get a Duc or a TL or a Superhawk. They have what I consider to be really fun V-twin motors!

mandrake_the_mollusk 11-09-2001 05:29 AM

Correct, and it still is not today in stock form...

The standard 883 is just that, a bike with more characteristics of a standard than a cruiser. Unless all it takes to be a cruiser is a fairly low seat, it's not one. Indeed, the 883R would have to be called a "sport standard" once enough Harley tax has been paid to get hp somewhere in the ballpark of "sport."

It's all the cruiser-style accessories and mods (available off-the-rack as the 883 Custom or 1200 Custom) that make a Sportster into a full-fledged cruiser. That's what keeps it so popular. It can be almost anything you want it to be, even a sport-tourer if you don't mind a little vibration. About the only thing it can't be is a full-tilt crotchrocket that runs with the high-tech sportbikes of today. Somebody somewhere has probably modified one to come close though.

12er 11-09-2001 05:30 AM

Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

Wow, didnt know everyone loved wind that much. Who'd a thunk? Ive been to over 300 concerts and hearing loss runs in the family. So Im screwed either way. But even without it, I dont really care to hear raging windnoise for hours at a time. To each there own...

Shadowspawn 11-09-2001 06:26 AM

Re: Pipes and fairing and spoiler, O MY !!!

I figured the power cruiser category was more about performance in a cruiser package than looking good. I want to get a warrior in the next year, and I may some day swap the pipe, but I would swap the pipe because it improves the performance of the motorcycle, not because a different pipe looks cooler. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I pick a bike more based on what it can do and how it feels under me than what someone is going to think of the bike's appearance.

Of course, given that I currently ride a honda shadow 600, any bike is gonna be a good performance upgrade for me.....

starvingstudent 11-09-2001 06:53 AM

Re: more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

People should buy whatever motorcycle they enjoy owning, whether they push it to its limits or not. Motorcycles are for fun, and if a 996 or R6 is fun to you (and you can afford it), then get it. I'm personally just not attracted to the 996 even though most people are--that was my only point.

I really hate having a cramped back and sore wrists, so _for me_ a Japanese standard would be much more fun to own than a 996, and personally, I like the look and feel better anyway.