Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Yamaha Warrior Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/927-yamaha-warrior-feedback.html)

Lateshow321 11-08-2001 02:45 PM

Are you serious..nighthawk 450?????

Dude..step up to a bike built in the current decade!!!!!..I was "Fonzie" on my Black & Chrome Nighthawk 450..in 1981!!!!! That's TWENTY YEARS AGO!!!! GEEZE, you've got to be kidding!!!!!

Take four grand and buy a used 1997-1999 "anything", ride 5000 miles, and THEN come back with some comments on Motorcycling.

BigGit 11-08-2001 02:59 PM

Re: Are you serious..nighthawk 450?????

Let's see, four grand, that's about J$200,000, and that's before about 100% import duty... No, I don't think so.

That Nighthawk 450 is an '83 and belongs to my instructor. My 1988 CM200T TwinStar is the only bike I have ever owned. I am 6'0" tall and weigh 280 lb. (that's two hundred and eighty pounds, hence the handle BigGit, 'coz I am a big git...) I rode around Jamaica (my homeland) on my TwinStar about three weeks ago.

The other bikes I would really like to try (apart from the Nighthawk 750, which, incedentally, is one of three models of police bikes in Jamaica) are the Rebel 250, the GS500E, the Skorpion Tour, the W650, the XL883R and the XL1200S.

BigGit 11-08-2001 03:11 PM

Re: Being strictly logical about that statement...

...you wouldn't buy a cruiser because chicks prefer them, sportbike riders look like monkeys humping footballs, and because if you ride them long enough, you will bust your @$$...

LimeSqueezr 11-08-2001 03:15 PM

Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

IF 96 decibels caused real hearing damage in 15 minutes then everybody who's been to a nightclub a few times in their life would be stone deaf. You've been reading some flawed research.

Hate to tell ya, but by far the most common cause of hearing loss is simply AGE combined with GENES. When I was a kid we went hunting with a real OLD part Cherokee who spent his life operating farm machinery so loud it'd make a straight-pipe Harley sound like a Lexus. But he could still find game nobody else had any idea was around by HEARING the feintest telltale sounds. You may or may not have genes that good so if earplugs give you peace of mind go ahead and wear them, but it doesn't mean people who don't is going deaf.

BigGit 11-08-2001 03:22 PM

Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

A Pitts Special is rather more SV650 than FLHTCUI... I'm not much into doped canvas and strut wires, but for those who might be burned out on ultimate speed, a slow 'plane (or bike) might be just the ticket.

OBTW, all you thrill seekers out there, don't try parasailing. It's a nice, peaceful, relaxing ride...

BigGit 11-08-2001 03:31 PM

Re: Sportster didn't start out as a cruiser...

...the '57 Sportster was a sportbike comparable to the big Triumphs, Nortons and BSAs of the day. There were also ads portraying Sportsters going across country.

BigGit 11-08-2001 03:35 PM

Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

Continued exposure to those levels will cause hearing loss, however.

BigGit 11-08-2001 03:41 PM

Re: Different intended audiences?

Based on that, my choice would be the ZR-7.

Or moreso the Nighthawk 750, with fewer maintenance chores. Are there any belt-drive conversions for the Nighthawk 750?

itchface 11-08-2001 03:46 PM

Re: Best commuting is with cruisers

Having commuted with every type of bike known to man (usually borrowing shop demos to try them out for myself, one of the fringe benefits of being in the trade), I can tell you that, short of repli-racers and touring bikes, cruisers are the least suitable type of bike for commuting in dense traffic. The long wheelbases results in sluggish steering manners, the low seat heights means reduced visibility for the rider (and for your 4-wheel adversaries to see you), the ergonically disasterous seating position causes butt-burn much sooner than a bike which distributes your body weight over several contact points, and highway speeds are unpleasant since it's nearly impossible to lean forward to balance your upper body weight to the force of the wind. Lastly, lane-splitting (for us Californians) can be dangerous with the wide buckhorn handlebars and mirrors.

My vote for the best type of commuting bike would be a street-oriented trailee like the new Suzuki V-Strom, or the new BMW F650CS.

BigGit 11-08-2001 03:51 PM

Re: No! I refuse!

OBTW, a rear drum brake is usually applied by levers and rods. No fluids to leak, no cables to break. What's so bad about that?