Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-08-2001, 10:00 AM   #61
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

Earplugs are manditory for me and I ride a bmw k12 with the windshield up and the motor almost silent. Just at 80mph a full face helmet still lets in up to 96 deciples (sp?) which causes hearing damage after only 15 minutes. I ride at least 2000 miles a month, at that rate I would be deaf in no time. Most ear plugs only cut 20 - 30 db so you can still hear plenty.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2001, 10:50 AM   #62
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: i did it and i think you should too

No flame intended but, those are about all reasons I wouldn't buy a cruiser.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:11 PM   #63
cruiz-euro
Founding Member

Default Best commuting is with cruisers

>trade your R1 for an FZ1 or 919 (or other large

>standard). Worlds better comfort for commuting

No way Jose. Depends of course if you are commuting in Navajo Desert or in a town. In towns where people usually commute you need:

- good low end torque for crawling

- upright seating position

- low seat height

- low center of gravity

This is all cruiser stuff.

cruiz-euro

cruiz-euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:15 PM   #64
Jack_R750
Founding Member

Default Re: more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

If anyone ever asks you to own a 996 and refuses to pay you for that - send him to me, I'll probably be jumping skyhigh that day .

If I had the money to own a 996, I'd buy one without thinking twice. Unfortunately, I'd spend a hard-earned money on some more crucial things first, before I'd allow myself to have that kind of luxury.

And - I use my bike (when I have one) to commute, so by no means a 996 can suite my needs - and I'd still be riding it, with unforgiving racing crouch and all - I commuted on GSXR750 91' for 2 years... I can only guess I'm still in the age when fun factor counts the most. Yeah, and my next (hopefully soon to be) bike isn't a best commuter either - it's YZF-R6, probably.. I read it somewhere in the very old posts on this site that people shouldn't buy race replicas if they use their racing abilities (or actually try/learn to use them) 5% of the time - I can disagree with it. It's more, though still not quite a lot, but the thing is - I don't have a car besides by bike, so it's transportation - but I can't imagine I'll be on a bike that won't make the adrenalin flow in rush through the veins. And I know I should get myself a VFR, they're just too rare and expensive here.. And max touring time is 5 hours across the country..

And I'd like to have underneath the best handling legend (916/996/99 there exists, not even for posing - but for some kind of feeling of satisfaction, that I know I'll have if ever I'll be in such a situation. And maybe I want it because it's a legend...
Jack_R750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 12:56 PM   #65
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Depends on the commuting

For strictly around-town commuting, cruisers and dual-sports are the best adapted (torque and 100% upright). However, if the commute includes time on the highway (like if you work in the next town over in Colorado), a quarterfairing and pegs under the seat are soooooo much nicer than a cruiser setup (in my opinion).
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 01:56 PM   #66
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Bandit not a bad ride...

Tony, I agree, the Bandit is comfy for longer rides and powerful enough to be loads of fun. I just can't stand the look of the darn thing!!! What a boring, bland, and ugly fairing. The naked Bandit is fine, but for a hooligan machine, I'd like less weight.

How about an SV1000S????

Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:35 PM   #67
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: No! I refuse!

<blockquote> The only way someone could worship such a bland machine is if their frame of reference includes cars, public transportation, or a 20 year old CB125 (or another bike of this ilk) exclusively. </blockquote>

What can I say? I also like the PC800 Pacific Coast! (And the Chevrolet Camaro...). And my bike is a 1988 Honda CM200T TwinStar.

<blockquote>1. The ZR7 has triple disc brakes vs. 1 disc/rear drum set up of the Honda.</blockquote>

I guess that might probably make it safer in a panic-stop situation, but most of my routine slowing down is done with engine braking. But why is it that I have never heard any complaints about the Nighthawk's braking performance, just the technocrats' prattle about the componentry? A friend of mine reads DAS MOTORRAD's test results religiously, and has found that the lowest braking distance they have had for about 10 years came from... a Nighthawk 750. This is obviously a fluke, but MO has consistently rated the braking of the Nighthawk 750 (front disc/rear drum) ahead of that of the H-D Sportster 883 (front & rear disc, but admittedly heavier). What matters is not the hardware, but the performance, and if it ain't broke, why spend money to fix it?

<blockquote> 2. The ZR-7 has a stronger and lighter aluminum swingarm, which improves both ride and handling. </blockquote>

NEWS FLASH! Aluminium does not have a fatigue limit! Unlike steel, there is no point at which vibration stops weakening aluminium.

<blockquote>3. The ZR-7 has zerk fittings on every pivot point of the rising rate suspension, and rebound damping adjusters for the shocks. The CB750 has conventional dual shocks, with only preload adjustability. </blockquote>

That's interesting to know.

<blockquote>4. The ZR-7 has wider, radial tires for a better ride and cornering. </blockquote>

See reply to 3.

<blockquote>5. The ZR-7 has a centerstand, fuel gauge, adjustable levers, a 5.8 gallon tank, and an all stainless steel exhaust system, all standard. </blockquote>

I will concede to this one. A bigger fuel tank, a fuel gauge and a stainless steel exhaust are definite pluses. But why do you mention the centrestand when the Nighthawk 750 also has one?

<blockquote> 6. The ZR-7 has a much bigger oil cooler than the CB750 (7 row vs. 3 row, if memory serves), a very important feature on an air-cooled bike. </blockquote>

I will concede on that one.

<blockquote> 7. In test after test, the ZR-7 has proven to be a better handling bike than the Honda. </blockquote>

Great for strafers. I'm not a strafer.

<blockquote> I could probably come up with another half dozen advantages of the Kaw if I took the time to think about it some more. Over the past 20+ years, I've made my living from selling all brands of motorcycles...</blockquote>

You don't happen to be selling Kawasakis now, do you?

<blockquote> I've owned over 50, and have ridden hundreds (including the ZR-7 and CB750). What kind of background do YOU have that might make your comments credible? </blockquote>

My background is not as impressive as yours. I have ridden maybe about four or five bikes in my life, the largest of which was the Nighthawk 450 that I learned to ride on. But let me ask you this: What have I said in the post you are replying to, or in this one, that is not correct?
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:38 PM   #68
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Suzuki Boost King to replace V-65 Magna&V-Max

Suzuki Boost King to replace V-65 Magna &

V-Max

Those old relics are not Cruisers.

Muscle Bikes, yes.

Power Standards, Yes.

Neo-classic Drag Bikes, OK.

Hooligan Machines, Maybe.

But Cruiser?? No!!! It just isn't...that's why!!!

Victory V92 SC (SportCruiser) its fun to ride but I'd never spend my money on one. Great brakes though!

Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Sport...A friend of mine has one, and its fun to ride, even fast!! Yes its a sport/cruiser...

again not with my money.

Kwaker (I Like the sound of that) Meannie...looks great, stops great, no balls...

again not with my money.

Harley Davidson V-Rod...power on tap, but raked out front end wants to go straight!!!!...way too much money.

Yamaha Road Star Warrior...with the newly shown dual exhaust pipes, YES!!!!

Power, Yes...

Brakes, Yes...

Handling, Yes...

Looks, Yes (change the exhaust)...

VALUE, YES!!!!!

SportCruiser...Yes - PowerCruiser...Yes!!! Give me one...Yes!!!!!
Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:43 PM   #69
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Where? In Europe...

...where Yamaha builds it and calls it the BT1100 Bulldog.

Most Americans would probably consider it boring and underpowered. This big git on a small bike would probably call it huge, but otherwise nice! A semi-standard Virago! As the would say in the country where this "Japanese" bike is built, "Bellissima!
Old 11-08-2001, 02:44 PM   #70
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: Depends on the commuting

I was about to say that the best commuters are probably DPs and small to mid-sized standards. My small bike is a great commuter, and not too bad at touring either, at least not here in Jamaica.