Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-07-2001, 12:44 PM   #41
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

Student, maybe he's into bungee jumping...
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2001, 12:44 PM   #42
mj
Founding Member

Default Re: Not bad...

500 mile days on an sv ! You're the MAN ! You probably even sleep on a bed of nails and eat glass. Myself,I prefer a nice soft bed. I race an sv and it's a GREAT race bike but as a street bike it just plain SUCKS. Next time spend a little more money and buy a real road bike !
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 01:06 PM   #43
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

Hence why women love harleys... Just a little too large to fit in a purse though...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:03 PM   #44
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Different intended audiences?

My interpretation is that the ZR-7 will be a bike that allows you to enjoy the ride. The motorcycle itself might not impress you, but you'll be out there enjoying the sensation of floating down ribbons of ashphalt.

The SV, on the other hand, encourages you to enjoy the actual motorcycle as much as you do the ride. The SV will make you want to wheelie, romp on the gas, rev it to hear the engine, and do other things that sit on the hooligan-side of the fence.

Comments I've heard about the ZR-7:

Reliable, bullet-proof, easy-going

Comments I hear about the SV:

FUN
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:10 PM   #45
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Alas, No Victory

V-Max and V65 Magna didn't help to create this genre?

On another note, why haven't the MO guys chimed in more on this topic?
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:36 PM   #46
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Comfort is in the a** of the beholder...

I love my Buell. When I sold my Harley (electra glide -- touring bike for non Harley-types) I fully intended to buy a Kawi ZR-7S. The idiots at the Kawasaki shop prevented that from happening (they could answer none of my questions and told me I was wrong when I mentioned the Givi hardbags available through the Kawi accessory catalogue). I ended up on an M2. Very comfortable riding position, even at freeway speeds -- as long as you wear earplugs. I make my 2 hr (one way) commute a few times a week on the Buell over a mix of freeways and backroads. It is much better than the old Nighthawk I owned. Great mileage too. Have to agree with the other post on the shaking at stop lights -- though it does relax my lower back!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:40 PM   #47
PostMortemElvis
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

Am I on crack or am I actually considering trading my R1 for this bike? Considering that ninety percent of my riding time is commuting, its probably not as crazy as it sounds. The bike looks great except for the sportster tumor on top of the headlamp and huge-ass can. Somebody punch me, I'm warming to cruisers!
PostMortemElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:42 PM   #48
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

I hope you find a dealer that allows test rides. I wanted to test the ZR-7S, SV and FZ-1, but the local dealer doesn't allow test rides. My Buell dealer let me test ride whatever I wanted for as long as I wanted. Of course I spent about 2K more than I intended... For what its worth, the ZR-7 postion felt better than the other two for all day riding, but then I was only sitting on the show room floor.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 04:30 PM   #49
itchface
Founding Member

Default biggot, get over your nighthawk obsession already!

Biggot, your 750 Nighthawk fetish is incredible! I can understand being obsessed about a particular motorcycle, as I have several times over the years. But to have wet dreams (as you seemingly do) about a bike as dull, trite, and bromidic as the CB750 just because it has (gasp!) self-adjusting valves is ludicrous.

The only way someone could worship such a bland machine is if their frame of reference includes cars, public transportation, or a 20 year old CB125 (or another bike of this ilk) exclusively.

Though I'm sure I'm wasting my time with you, I'll try and explain to you why a ZR-7 is a better bike for most riders who are actual motorcycle enthusiasts, and not just 2-wheel commuters.

1. The ZR7 has triple disc brakes vs. 1 disc/rear drum set up of the Honda.

2. The ZR-7 has a stronger and lighter aluminum swingarm, which improves both ride and handling.

3. The ZR-7 has zerk fittings on every pivot point of the rising rate suspension, and rebound damping adjusters for the shocks. The CB750 has conventional dual shocks, with only preload adjustability.

4. The ZR-7 has wider, radial tires for a better ride and cornering.

5. The ZR-7 has a centerstand, fuel gauge, adjustable levers, a 5.8 gallon tank, and an all stainless steel exhaust system, all standard.

6. The ZR-7 has a much bigger oil cooler than the CB750 (7 row vs. 3 row, if memory serves), a very important feature on an air-cooled bike.

7. In test after test, the ZR-7 has proven to be a better handling bike than the Honda.

I could probably come up with another half dozen advantages of the Kaw if I took the time to think about it some more. Over the past 20+ years, I've made my living from selling all brands of motorcycles, I've owned over 50, and have ridden hundreds (including the ZR-7 and CB750). What kind of background do YOU have that might make your comments credible?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 04:44 PM   #50
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

Don't do it, Elvis! Not unless you can have both a cruiser AND a sportbike. I've seen a zillion people switch from cruiser to sportbike over the years, and after a brief acclimation period, there's hardly ever any regret. Not so in the reverse, however. Once you've grown accustomed to to an F-16, how could you find fulfillment on a bi-plane, except as an occasional diversion?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote