Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-07-2001, 09:02 AM   #31
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah! What happened?

Yeah, there's the "promise" issue--but also there's the fact that I AM going to buy either a ZR7 or SV650 next spring, and I really would love to read a head-to-head test. I really don't care about the Monster 900 (twice the price tag, so hardly aimed at the same audience), so if that's the wrench in the gears, just do the first two bikes.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2001, 09:06 AM   #32
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Different intended audiences?

I'd say that they're aimed at similar audiences, but follow different paths to get there. Sure, some people use SVs for track duty, and some people turn ZR7s into tourers, but both in stock form are inexpensive do-it-all bikes.

Obviously the SV is faster and the ZR7 has a bigger gas tank--I can tell that from reading the specs. What I'd like to know are less-obvious issues of poise and refinement and such--the things you can only get from doing a head-to-head test.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:26 AM   #33
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

Mikey what you and many others just don't understand is that the SV has a fun factor that can't be beat. Never mind that its better looking by far, lighter, faster, more nimble, its got an "undescribable" fun ride. If you ever get the chance, take a 15 min. ride on the SV and you'll be back here trying to convince the confused.

If you know someone with a subscription to the British Bike mag "Superbike", check the past issues this year and you will find a great comparo.

Good luck to you...many happy miles on your Kwaker...(could be even happier on the SV!!)
Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 09:40 AM   #34
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

Dude...dude...dude--- If you wan't a bike that is so boring it might put you to sleep, by all means choose the Kwaker. If on the other hand you want a bike that inspires you to go out of your way to spend all your free time riding, choose the SV. If you live in the Midwest (all straight roads) and you are an ole faux-gy, you might be happier on the Kwaker. If there are even a few twisties near you, and you like to "corner", get the SV.

Its truely much better looking, lighter, faster, and more nimble. Its also got an unheard of X factor quotient. What's that? Well its hard to explain, but suffice it to say its just so much more "Fun" to ride. After all isn't that, what this whole thing is about??

I say get a ride on an SV before you buy. Then you'll know what bike to choose. By the way check out www.svriders.com there are hundreds, even thousands chiming in about how much they love their bikes and what they have done to modify their beloved machines. As far as I know there is no such site dedicated to the Kwaker.

Good luck to you...many happy miles

Enjoy!!
Old 11-07-2001, 09:50 AM   #35
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Everyone who buys a Warrior needs to....

Everyone who buys a Warrior needs to take their Gigantic stock exhaust canister and send them to the Yamaha U.S. main corporate offices on a specific day, lets say July 4th 2002. When they arrived together, it would be impossible to ignore that the stock can is an eyesore and has no place on a cruiser.

While its true that it would be much easier to just throw it through the window of the "other" dealer who wouldn't give you the deal you wanted, it won't have the same effect with corporate Yamaha.

Do it for the sake of your fellow riders who come after you. Its a small sacrifice...and you know you want to be part of something that would make such a news splash ( we'll inform all the press to be there the day they arrive).

Old 11-07-2001, 09:58 AM   #36
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default V65 Sabre vs SV...PLease!!!!!!

Poopy, I'm with you on the endless merits of the SV. Anybody who has a handle like Mary-Anne SV650 and then chooses a relic of a bike like the V65 Sabre is a putz.

Perhaps he should change his name to "Ole Fart" or one of a million other names I could think of for someone who is that out of whack.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:53 AM   #37
BuellBoy
Founding Member

Default Re: Alas, No Victory

It seems ironic to me that in the wake of all of these "Performance Cruisers" coming out in 2002 that the company that practically invented the term doesn't have an entry for that year. Victory is discontinuing the V92SC "Sport Cruiser." Damn shame. The new Freedom V-Twin is probably just what that bike needed, too!
BuellBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 11:10 AM   #38
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

Well, there is www.zr-7.com. And the ZR7 webring (http://s.webring.com/hub?ring=thezr7webring&id=2&hub)

But yes, the SV has more fans overall. On the other hands, didn't your mother tell you not to jump off a bridge because everyone else was doing it? The 996 has a lot of fans too, and you'd have to pay me to own one.

I fully intend on getting a test-ride on both before I buy. But reading reviews in the meantime would be nice. Heck, MO hasn't even done a first-ride, not to mention a shootout, with the ZR7.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:24 AM   #39
TrumpetSprint
Founding Member

Default Re: Pipes and fairing and spoiler, O MY !!!

The great big ugly can serves two purposes.

1. Quiet the motor so it can pass the noise emissions test.

2. Provide enough volume to not strangle the engine's output.

Be realistic, most of the owners are going to replace the exhausts anyway. (How many Harleys do you see with the original pipes?)

And those who don't will still have more of the engine's output than a cruiser with more fashionable pipes.
TrumpetSprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 12:43 PM   #40
BigGit
Founding Member

Default Re: more SV vs Kwaker ZR-7

Lateshow, there are some of us who would want to buy Nighthawk 750s and ride it until we die (the bikes would probably outlive us). A reliable, low maintenance bike with acceptable power sounds just like my cup o' meat!

The ZR-7 has shim-type lifters; adjusting them is a maintenance chore encountered every 7500 miles. Nighthawks have self-adjusting hydraulic lifters. So do H-D Sportsters. And you don't have to drain the cooling system every time you go into the motor, 'coz the cooling system has no liquid.

So you can keep your V-twin naked sportbikes. Give me a reliable easily-maintained UJM over them any day!
BigGit is offline   Reply With Quote