Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-06-2001, 05:31 PM   #11
poopypants
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey MO...

Let me sum that up for you starving student. The ZR-7 has a noisy, ancient, air-cooled engine. It weighs nearly a hundred pounds more than the SV while making almost identical HP despite being a 750. SV=1. Unless you put up major cash for the 900, your not going to get the performance of the SV with the smaller monster. In fact, if you compare quarter-mile times between the 900 and the SV, you'll see the suzook wins there too!! SV=1 It looks like an easy choice to me. But don't take my word for it. Go to www.svrider.com and listen to all the happy customers.......
poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2001, 06:52 PM   #12
Mikey
Registered Member

Default Re: Hey MO...

You say noisy and ancient, I say reliable and bulletproof. The seat height on the ZR is lower. The seat is wider. The fuel tank is 1.5 gallons larger and the ZR gets the same or better mileage.

When you get right down to it, the ZR and SV are two different bikes with two different intended audiences. Probably one of the reasons that the ZR has optional hard luggage and SV doesn't.

Speed isn't a top priority for everyone.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 07:57 PM   #13
Arrow
Registered Member

Default Re: Not bad...

"Those are "sportbikes without fairings" - short wheelbased, low raked bikes that are designed to perform well under racetrack-like conditions. They are designed to be responsive at high speeds, but at typical everyday speeds they are lousy (unless you ride like a squid at all times)."

Excuse me? FZ1/Bandit/ZRX designed for track? Have you compared the wheelbases and weights of those bikes to the likes of R1, GSX-R, ZX, CBR etc? Have you actually tried these bikes? Have you ridden a late model sportsbike? No way these bikes were prepared for racetrack (tubular frames, lower spec suspension, higher weight, long wheelbases), they are everyday machines which can be ridden down a twisty road, toured on or used as a commuter. They are very comfortable and very responsive at city speeds (definitely better than my 2000 ZX6R but I have no problems commuting on my ZX by the way). You seem to have no idea what today's sportsbikes are like because you seem to have an exaggrated idea the level of sportiness of the bikes like Bandit. The fact that they are able to handle competently and accelerate like rockets does not mean they are sportsbikes.
Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 07:59 PM   #14
Kirby
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Feedback

Is it my computer or all the pics dark. I can't make

out much detail at all. If I was Yamaha, I would

have supplied the pics myself...whats the deal?

The best online mag going needs to by a new camera or get a new operator....Keep the great text coming. I look forward every week for new articles, great work guys....and yes I did donate..LOL
Old 11-07-2001, 01:18 AM   #15
IceWorm
Registered Member

"Sportbikes without fairings"? Huh? That is the most stupid comment that I have ever heard. I ride my ZRX to work every day, my wife hops on for weekend rides for brunch, I load it down with tank bag and soft luggage for longer trips including camping or riding to Bike Week for eight days. It is plenty comfy with only the addition of a Corbin and is damn fun at legal speeds. This thing is no sportbike my friend and neither is the FZ1, Bandit, or new 919. Sport bikes are replicas of race bikes. If these new standards are replicas of anything they are replicas of motorcycles coming out of Japan 20 years ago.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 01:32 AM   #16
mandrake_the_mollusk
Founding Member

Default They are two very different bikes so...

Yamaha will continue to sell the V-max as long as it sells in numbers significant enough that they can make whatever their target profit is (that's what drives the whole thing, sales, not any scheme by the manufacturers to put you on any particular kind of bike). So people who love the Max should vote by signing on the dotted line down at their dealer, else no whining when Yamaha drops it.

I completely AGREE with you about MOTORCYCLES that are not easily categorized. Another post mentioned quite a few bikes like that but omitted Triumph. Though they have a couple of full-tilt sportbikes and just brought out their first true-to-form "cruiser" they probably make more (as a % of all models offered) than any other manufacturer when it comes to wonderful, very useful bikes that don't pigeon-hole totally into any one category.
mandrake_the_mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:14 AM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Pipes and fairing and spoiler, O MY !!!

I must agree. I may be ready to buy a cruiser shortly....

Old 11-07-2001, 03:25 AM   #18
98Viffer
Founding Member

>I think sportbikes are about as much fun to ride on the street as getting >a root canal

Then you obviously haven't ridden much of today's machinery. All sportbikes are not the same. Many are amazingly comfy, such as the Honda VFR800, Triumph ST, Suzuki Katana, and the larger BMW RT1100. They all actually *perform*, too, with good brakes, handling and passenger accomodations. You are showing your ignorance of an entire market segment by lumping them all together with the track bikes like the GSX-R750, etc.

Too bad, as you're missing a lot of fun.

I used to feel the same way, however, as I started out for6 years on cruisers, before I saw the light! My ride? Honda VTR1000 - that's a sport V-twin bike. You might not be aware that sport bikes now have various engine layouts, including twins, which you might consider if you like the power delivery. My VTR lets me commute, travel with soft luggage, and even scrape a peg or two on the weekends.

Do yourself a favor and don't discount and entire genre of bike due to misinformation.
98Viffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:39 AM   #19
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Pipes and fairing and spoiler, O MY !!!

Never owned a Harley have you? Can't take it from the dealer with the stock cans. Not because they're not your style but because they stunt the power.

I kept the stock cans on my TC88 until the break in miles were done and couldn't wait to get the V-H cans (baffles in) and Stage-1 kit (K&N and FI mapping).

Yeah, the duels look ok but then it just looks like everything else. That big can is on there for a reason. You take it off and replace it with straight drag pipes then it'll run just as crappy as all the Harleys on the road that did the same thing.

Anyway, if I could afford a play bike I would seriously consider the Yam over the compatition. It does what the Victory V92SC was going for but it looks like it will do it right. But then you know what happened to the V92SC.

TatdNPrcd

http://Rule62.net-model.com

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 03:57 AM   #20
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Bandit 1200 designed for the track??? BWAHAHAHA!!!

"...designed to be responsive at high speeds"? Stop! You're killing me! My Valkyrie was more stable at 130+ that the B1200 I've ridden.

You probably think the VFR was designed for the track too don't you Rob? I have no experiance with the sv650 so I'll have to concede to those of you who do but as for the large displacement bike mentioned they are perfect for the everyday rider.

A female member of a local rider club resently replaced her Nighthawk 750 with the FZ1 and, after she got a taller windscreen, she won't stop. She's found her new love.

TatdNPrcd

http://www.ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote