Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/920-2001-power-cruisers-reader-feedback.html)

starvingstudent 11-01-2001 05:59 PM

To get it out of the way...

The V-Rod is NOT unique for stuffing a sportbike engine in a cruiser chassis. Ever heard of a Magna?

starvingstudent 11-01-2001 06:21 PM

Speaking of which...

With a $7499 price tag, a 505 lb dry weight, good-but-not-ordinary looks (four mufflers!), and 80+ horsepower, the Magna sounds like it would have won this shootout. It's power-to-weight isn't much lower than the V-Rod, its got chain drive and a light weight (so it should out-handle the Mean Streak), it costs 70% as much as the Mean Streak and 45% as much as the V-Rod. That's sure looks like a winner to me.

bmaxw 11-01-2001 06:43 PM

Re: To get it out of the way...

How about the orginal Kawasaki Eleminator from

the early 80's. A 900cc Ninja engine stuffed in to a

drag bike style frame. It was a good looking, fast bike, just 15 years to early.

wwalkersd 11-01-2001 06:50 PM

Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

Well, gents, I'll give you credit for having the guts to stick with your agreed-upon process even if it didn't pick the winner you (or anyone else) expected.

Speaking from my own well-rounded perspective (I've sat on the VTX and Mean Streak, but haven't ridden any of the bikes), I think you made a good choice. The MS is the best looking of the bunch, and it's more comfortable than the VTX. The V-Rod looks awesome but handles oddly. And the V-Max is just old and fugly (sorry, Blip).

wwalkersd 11-01-2001 06:54 PM

P.S. As to the lack of horsepower, IMHO cruising isn't about going fast anyway, despite the advent of these "power" cruisers.

Interception 11-01-2001 07:19 PM

I disagree.

OK, if serious speed is the desire, $10K worth of current sporting material is very hard to outrun. But speed IS a part of the cruising thing. Every Harley rider I know (myself included) seems to spend a little money on horsepower. The rewards of this quest can be pretty entertaining, as an example, it doesn't take very much cash to get a Sportster to 70 RWHP.

Patrick-of-the-Hills 11-01-2001 07:21 PM

It's cool to actually witness a new class of bikes being developed, and watch the manufacturers fiddle around in the process of finding the right answer. (It's not that there haven't been "power cruisers" before, but rather that the idea now has commercial viability and a place at the marketing table.) Safe to say no one's really nailed it yet, but that just leaves room for growth.Will Honda tweak the VTX's chassis? Some mild power increase for the Mean Streak? A totally redone R1-influenced V-Max?Much more interesting than the incrementalism in Supersport, and something that will probably mean a lot to the American market. I'm not overly fond of these bikes (yet), but it'll be fun to watch.

captainwhoopass 11-01-2001 07:31 PM

Re: To get it out of the way...

How about a Fazer 750? Basically an FZ750 motor in a bike styled like a mini VMax.

millbarge 11-01-2001 08:00 PM

Re: Speaking of which...

Good point, Starvingstudent. My '83 VF1100C Magna is a liquid-cooled V4 with four valves per cylinder. It makes 116 HP (more than the V-Rod) and has shaft drive. That's not a bad job playing catch up by the folks up in Wisconsin. It only took them 18 years to get part of it right.

If anyone at Honda is listening, there is a market for a real performance cruiser emerging. For god's sake, ditch the current Magna and build a large displacement model that can compete. (That's a nice drum brake on the back wheel!)

Maybe this what it will take to get a little technology back into the segment. Jesus, Harley is making the Japanese manufacturers scramble to build in innovation in the cruiser market. Who would have thought that?

myriadcorp 11-01-2001 08:01 PM

That really was a let down in a review. I think you guys are wanting GSXR/R1 performance out of these tanks. I own a VTX and a R6. I kept seeing whining about a rev limiter. If my VTX has one I never felt it. Then again I am not taking my VTX to the drag strip or busting limits on the highway to activate it.

All these bikes are for sitting on your butt and cruising. If I want performance I hop on my R6. I don't know how the VMax made it in. Its a nice bike but man... You can put a kid through school before that bike will ever change. Its a Dinosaur.

My only complaint about the VTX is some of the fake crome and seam gas tank. Otherwise its a great bike to cruise around on. Plus it has some good takeoff power. I think it looks better than the rest too.

The Vrod is nice. They are making that at the harley plant here. But it looks very odd. The dealer markup on that is unreal. I think Harley should have all their sales personel wear ski mask and carry guns. They rob you everytime they sell a bike.