Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-02-2001, 08:40 AM   #61
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Sean..grow up, the V-Max is Powerful but NOT a cruiser.

Its not a cruiser no matter how many times you say so. Its one bike, in a one bike category! So as you can now cleary see, its the winner, because it has no competition.

Now, If Suzuki makes the Boost King, then Yamaha will have to re-think the crusty ole V-Max, because it will pale in comparison to the new Suzuki (even without the S/Charger).

As it stands today..the V-Max is an awesome stop light to stop light bike (great for the straight roads of the midwest). The power is truly amazing!! I love to feel the "V-Boost". But God help you if you carry too much speed into a corner. The styling as I'm sure you're aware is more than 10 years old and was never a winner.

So, in conclusion if you still own a V-Max just enjoy the thing it does well..and go real fast...quickly!!! But please don't continue calling the V-Max a cruiser. Many happy days to you.
Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2001, 08:50 AM   #62
aminalmutha
Founding Member

Default Re: To get it out of the way...

What about the KZ900 LTD? Didn't that come out in something like 1977? Looks like a cruiser to me, even with the four cylinder. KZ900 was one of the fastest bikes of its day.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:51 AM   #63
blip
Founding Member

Default Re: They can

Officially, Harley has already amortized and/or written off the costs of developing this bike, and were profitable in the years in which they were doing so, so it's really a matter of perspective -- they'll be booking profits from sales of the bikes this year, and while they might not outweight development and/or marketing this year, they will record profits for it next year, probably lots.

But, yes, it'll take a while to cover the real costs of designing/tooling/making/marketing this bike.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:54 AM   #64
das
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

And let's not forget that with the US economy being what it is right now, the number of people who can afford a new Harley is shrinking, too. Supply up, demand down... you do the math.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:55 AM   #65
Lateshow321
Founding Member

Default Todd see yah in Sturgis blah blah blah eom

Lateshow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:57 AM   #66
Eric
Founding Member

Default Re: Too bad it

I have to agree on the MS's looks -- I haven't seen a V-Rod in person, but the worst thing my local Honda/kawi/yami/suz dealer could have done for VTX sales is to park the Mean Streak next to it. It looks much better. It just looks like a better integrated design than the VTX. To me, the Warrior is damn ugly. But then I love the look of Buells, 1150gs's and KTMs, so my taste is definitely questionable.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:58 AM   #67
aminalmutha
Founding Member

IF I was in the market for a cruiser, I'd get the Beef Steak, just because of it's brakes. Well, I know the new Yamaha has good brakes too, but I've yet to see one, and the exhaust looks kinda funky for a cruiser. It a mazes me when I see these teeny-weenie little brakes on some big fat bike. Even though most cruisers don't have great handling, tend not to have amazing acceleration (ecxeptions of course), there's no reason why they can't have decent brakes. It's about time.
aminalmutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 09:01 AM   #68
Eric
Founding Member

I would tend to agree with you for the most part, but Harley did set record sells during the last recession and had a record 3rd quarter this year -- that includes September. However, you are absolutely correct that there will come a time if they continue to increase production that they may have to decrease prices to sell everything. I wonder how much more they will seek to increase capacity....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 09:08 AM   #69
Philbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Too bad it

"the worst thing my local Honda/kawi/yami/suz dealer could have done for VTX sales is to park the Mean Streak next to it. It looks much better"

Very well said. My local Honda/Kawasaki shop has the two next to each other also, and the Beef Steak is a DRAMATICALLY better looking machine. Honda cruisers have always been butt ugly to me thouth, with the exception of the 87 Magna with the wierd upswept pipes and the new Magna.
Philbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 09:36 AM   #70
Grover
Founding Member

I think part of the lack of bashing with respect to MO's ratings stems from the overall lack of personal experience of the readers with these bikes. I've been lucky enough to ride the V-rod and the VTX but neither of the other two. Certainly very few of us own any of these bikes so the loyalty thereto is minimal, whereas with the 600 shootout, lots of us have lots of experience with the bikes involved and have deeply seeded feelings w.r.t. the individual bikes.

Even the hard-core Harley guys aren't saying much, probably because the V-rod is such a departure from classic H-D products that not even they know what to make of it all.

So relax Brent, none of us has the nads to suggest we would know better than you guys which of these bikes is truly the best of the bunch, and now that i've read the article, I'll have to go test ride a Beef Steak for myself, even though I'd never own one.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote