Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-02-2001, 02:48 AM   #21
LongWayHome
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Power Cruisers Reader Feedback

H-D cannot control what a dealer charges for the bikes. Yes, some H-D dealers deserve the "bandit" label because of their obscene pricing policies, but there is very little H-D can do to them. There are H-D dealers that will sell at MSRP, but with the V-Rod, people are walking in the door offering $25,000 and up to buy the bike. Either these people are very wealthy and could care less about an extra few thousand dollars, or they are just plain stupid. It is a typical supply and demand scenerio. I have ridden the V-Rod three times since the release to the public. It is an impressive bike, and teases you to go fast.
LongWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2001, 02:49 AM   #22
Haru
Founding Member

Default comparisons are meaningless

Although I am a kawasaki loyalist, and surprised that a Kawasaki won a comparison test, I must also say that this underlines my assertion that comparison tests are meaningless. What purpose does it serve to declare a winner other than to feed the publics narrow minded curiousity about "what's the best?" Some machines are obviously lame, others are mediocre, and others still are excellent, but within each of those there is a plethora of variations that are not necessarily better than each other, only different. I am getting tired of saying that there is no absolute best. The only thing that matters is whats best for you.

Results of such comparison tests are decided by the conducting staff's preferences, which are not reflective of those of the public, and by rigidly classifying in a 1,2,3 pattern, they crush the very idea that different people like different things. I guess people will NEVER stop asking the "whats best" question because no one is comfortable with accepting that there is never simple answer that applies uniformly to all people.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 02:57 AM   #23
rhoisy
Founding Member

Are you suggesting the Italian designed V Rod has more American Parts than my American designed Gold Wing. OOP, I let the cat out of the bag.

Grow UP (;-{) if the V Rod were better it would win. This Rag don't hate Harley, it can't afford to..

On the positive side V Rod is the best thing to happen to the Cruiser industry, just like Crysler (Dodge) was the best thing to happen to Ford and Chevy, when quality was in the ditch..

But like someone said, "They all have a long way to go to catch up to the V65 Magna," at least their legend.
rhoisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:02 AM   #24
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

You're as biased as you say this site is. One tester/reviewer proudly pointed out that he always (or nearly so) votes Harleys first. It ranked first or second on the majority of tabulations.

You apparently didn't read the remarks that many or all wrote pertaining to the PRICE killing the V-rod. Sorry bud, but $25K+ for a bike is ridiculous. I applaud them for making their decision with a dose of reality in mind in that pretty much no 'normal' folks are buying this V-rod. If you have that kind of cash to spare, more power to you... not many folks do.

I find it interesting that Harley positions itself as the 'everyman bike company' (or at least their legions of followers do), yet they price themselves right out of the hands of the real 'joe blue-collar' biker. Then you have the poor guy who mortgages his home and sells all other worldly posessions just to own a Harley.

I don't fault them for making money while the sun-shines... capitalism rules!, but it's just interesting to see the duality.

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:21 AM   #25
Haru
Founding Member

Default might I also add that...

I am not against comparison tests per se. In fact I think they are a good thing for filtering out the differences among the offerings and giving the readers a clearer picture of whats available. But absolute, rigid ranking becomes its own end and defeats the purpose of comparison tests. Ranking causes issues of ego and street savviness to outwiegh all other considerations. "The magazine raved about this bike, all the guys are talking about it, I'll get respect on it" obliterates "This one is what I like".
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:22 AM   #26
Jamo
Founding Member

Default Re: Speaking of which...

It's impossible to find any link to posting reader feedback for the power crusier article on this terrible website. I fussed around for a half hour registering and it just keeps prompting me to register over and over again. Why all the secret spy password stuff and stupid passwords I will never remember again. I hate this website.
Jamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:24 AM   #27
Jamo
Founding Member

Default Re: comparisons are meaningless

Its impossible to post reader feedback on this stupid website, All they do is keep prompting to register over and over again and asking for money, there is no link to post reader feedback on the power crusier article. I hate this website.
Jamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:30 AM   #28
Grover
Founding Member

Exactly what part of the bike is italian designed? You either meant to say German or your just plain wrong. I'm curious to hear your theory though.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:33 AM   #29
DJS
Founding Member

Default Dang...you beat me to it...

Why does the magna get so little respect? I just turned over 14K miles a day or two ago and love my magna.

And sacrilege that they claimed V-max was the first power cruiser. What about the 1983 V-65 Magna? It was not only the first power cruiser it was the fastest stock bike on the planet for a while. The V-max was Yamaha playing catchup.

If only Honda had not chickened out of the market after some of the V-65's had some top-end lubrication issues. Honda prided itself so much on quality it was too much for them to bear and they killed that wonderful bike after only a few years.

I demand a re-match. Mean streak vs. Modern Magna. I'll lay even money that the 8 year old Magna design can smoke the "mean streak"
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 03:33 AM   #30
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: comparisons are meaningless

Then go away and stop whining about problems that no one but yourself seems to be having.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote